Onimusha Film

TheVileOne said:
It wasn't Samanosuke, it was Jubei from the second game.

ahh..ok...Thanks, I thought I had heard that somewhere, and thought I was going insane

Wouldn't it be neat if his next Konami game movie was an adaptation of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. (the first, 16-bit Metal Gear games). I've always been opposed to a film adaptation of one of the modern games, since they're almost films already, but adapting the early games would be awesome.

Seeing as how Silent Hill was pretty good, and hardcore Silent Hill fans seem to like it even more (at least the ones i've talked to), this guy would be a good choice for director (as long as Hideo Kojima is also involved).

kytrigger said:
OK, this is probabyl the stupidest question ever, but I always thought the the character model for Samanosuke was based off of a deceased actor. I am almost positive that I read that a long time ago (when the first game came out). Has anyone else heard this, and if so, can someone please clarify for me?

It was Onimusha 2 and the actor was Yusaku Matsuda (better known in the west for his last role in the American film 'Black Rain').

I want to hang out with Gans now...

and play video games:o

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/791/791230p1.html

Silent Hill helmer tackles another vidgame-to-film.
by Stax
US, May 23, 2007 - Silent Hill helmer Christophe Gans is returning to the realm of videogame-based movies to direct the big-screen version of the Capcom game Onimusha. Gans will direct for Samuel Hadida's Davis Films, the production company behind both Silent Hill and Gans' Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Onimusha is budgeted at $70 million, according to ScreenDaily.net. Gans and Davis Films are now at the Cannes film festival to shop Onimusha to prospective buyers, with several studios reportedly eyeing the project.

The screenplay is by Leslie Kruger and John Collee (Master and Commander). Filming is slated to commence in China next February for a December 2009 debut.

Onimusha is set in 16th century Japan and follows a young warrior who battles demons as he sets out to save the woman he loves.

"I have loved the Onimusha story for years and am overjoyed to have the opportunity now to bring it to life for worldwide film audiences and to access the unparalleled film resources of China to do so on the scale that the story demands," Gans told ScreenDaily.

Producer Hadida added, "There is nothing else in the marketplace like Onimusha. It combines swashbuckling adventure, passion, and heroic destiny on an epic scale. ... I have worked with Christophe on three successful productions and am confident that he brings the ideal vision to realise this incredible story."

ScreenDaily adds that Davis Films is also in pre-production on Solomon Kane, which Michael J. Bassett will direct.

Cool, but they need Takeshi Kaneshiro to play Samanosuke. He's the model for the character and the only one who can play him. It's not like David Hayter and Snake, where Hayter is only his voice. Takeshi IS Samanosuke, and I would imagine he might want to play him in a film. He's played him twice in the series, and I want to see him break into Hollywood.

I want a Silent Hill sequel. :cmad:

I'll definitely check out Onimusha after witnessing the sheer beauty of Brotherhood of the Wolf. :up: :up:

Cool, but was this confirmed or something? We've known this for quite a while now.

And I too would rather have a Silent Hill sequel, but this is the next best thing.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32861

ONIMUSHA fans prepare to be happy...

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. SILENT HILL is a flawed movie. Structurally, they have the that 20 minute "explain-it-all" sequence. Christophe Gans did everything he could to make that visually unique and interesting, but it still slammed the on the brakes and stopped the movie in its tracks.

I also found when watching the DVD behind the scenes that almost all of the creatures looked better practical, before he added in a confusing layer of CG work. That's kind of frustrating to me.

However, he got most of the movie right. It's actually a scary movie, the tone and atmosphere was perfectly brought over from the video game. The creature designs and balls to the wall horror scenes were amazing. Gans knows what he's doing.

For further proof, ONIMUSHA. He's doing the movie version of the samurai vs. demons game and the fans are nervous.
DVDrama, a French website with close ties to Gans, got the word directly from him about the fans' biggest worry. Who is playing ONIMUSHA?

It's unique, in a way. Ever since the very first ONIMUSHA game, they have modeled the character after a known actor, who also voiced his character. That actor is Takeshi Kaneshiro (Wong Kar Wai's CHUNKING EXPRESS). So, you already have a good actor known as this character, but the fans know that in these adaptations they hardly ever bring the right stuff over to the big screen, so there's been worry about this casting.

Gans said to DVDrama that "Of course" Takeshi Kaneshiro will play ONIMUSHA.
I've met Gans before (even watched THREE EXTREMES with him at the AFM) and what was interesting about him to me was that he loves these stories. He doesn't look at video games for the flash, the action, or the "poster moments." He loves those, but what draws him is the story.

If you watch BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, it's the greatest video game adaptation for a game that never existed.

Other news about ONIMUSHA is you won't see it for a while. It's going to start shooting early '08 and Gans guarantees there will be a full year of post production on the movie (budgeted at $70 million). So we're looking after September 2009 before we see it in theaters. John Collee (MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD) and Lesley Krueger are writing the script.

This could be a great movie if adapted well and it sounds like Gans is doing everything he can. Good creative team, decent budget, right casting so far. Let's hope he learned a little on SILENT HILL and makes ONIMUSHA without the last act trip-ups.

awesome.... hes an amazing director. although people didnt like SH i loved it!...a very uniquely styled horror film.

I loved Silent Hill :up:

This should be good.

I don't think Onimusha really works as a movie.

There is no Onimusha either. The hero's name is Samanosuke Akechi, who was from the first and third games. The second game's hero was Jubei Yagyuu who was based on the late Mifune.

I don't really know if Gans gets that or not.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is also horrendously overrated.

I don't think Onimusha really works as a movie.

There is no Onimusha either. The hero's name is Samanosuke Akechi, who was from the first and third games. The second game's hero was Jubei Yagyuu who was based on the late Mifune.

I don't really know if Gans gets that or not.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is also horrendously overrated.
It's not Ganz saying he's playing Onimusha. It's the idiot who wrote the article.

It's not Ganz saying he's playing Onimusha. It's the idiot who wrote the article.
It wasn't this article I was referring to. It was another interview/article about the movie posted on AICN.

I remember when people talked about Silent Hill like it was going to be the Spider-man of video game based movies or something. That was funny :) .

I'm a huge nut for the Onimusha games, but not everything was meant to be a movie you know. I do like Takeshi Kaneshiro, and if he does play the character he portrayed in the games I'd probably check it out. I think the movie would be a lot better if Donnie Yen (did the martial arts sequences for the games) or some Japanese or Asian filmmakers did it.

Now Onimusha has great potential to be a great movie, let alone video game adaptation. On the down side, this is the guy who gave us Silent Hill, which was a bad movie, IMO.

Thing is, people aren't going to see a movie like this in droves.

If Guillermo Del Toro did it like Blade 2 it might be decent. The story calls for tons of freaky ass and scary as **** ugly monsters and badass action.

Thing is, it would have to be more like Blade 2 and less like Hellboy, but with a Japanese period setting.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/812/812467p1.html

Onimusha Movie Update
Christophe Gans' latest game-to-film adaptation.
by Stax

US, August 13, 2007 - Silent Hill director Christophe Gans will return to the realm of games-to-film with his next project, a big-screen version of the Capcom videogame Onimusha for producer Samuel Hadida's Davis Films.

DarkHorizons.com points out an article over at the French site EcranLarge.com, which interviewed Gans about his plans for bringing Onimusha to the screen. According to Dark Horizons' translation, Gans will relocate from France to China in October to commence pre-production for a March 2008 start date.

Filming will reportedly take place at the same Chinese studio that housed the production of Hero, starring Jet Li. Shooting is expected to wrap by late July.

With the exception of Gans and cinematographer Dan Laustsen, the majority of the cast and crew are expected to be Chinese and Japanese.

i didnt know so many people hate chris....

i loved silent hill...

Oh crap, this means we get an amazing first half of a movie, and a terrible concluding half, damn you Gans!!!!

he seems to change style halfway through each film(narrative wise)

i wouldnt say half way....

my only problems with silent hill were:
Everything after when the little girl reveals everything to the main woman....then its pretty much pointless to watch the rest.

and the dialoge... which isnt his fault.

i wouldnt say half way....

my only problems with silent hill were:
Everything after when the little girl reveals everything to the main woman....then its pretty much pointless to watch the rest.

and the dialoge... which isnt his fault.

The hospital scene is about halfway through the film, just after, but there is a distinct first and second half in terms of style, look at brotherhood of the wolf as well! And it's not like hitchcock's subtle split film style which demonstrates 2 parts of the character/psyche or human nature, just a good film and a bad film half:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"