Opinion: Very depressed now

nah, i think that applies more to "neo-cons". there's no equivalent to that on the left, that i know of. "neo-libs"?

I guess a "neo-lib," or a counterpart to the neo-con, would be the sort you may easily find at a college campus, crunching his vegan granola and saying that a pig is a dog is a person and arguing the benefits of euthanasia for elderly people and disabled newborns, and thinks that communism wouldn't be so bad if they'd just get the kinks out of the system.

I guess a "neo-lib," or a counterpart to the neo-con, would be the sort you may easily find at a college campus, crunching his vegan granola and saying that a pig is a dog is a person and arguing the benefits of euthanasia for elderly people and disabled newborns, and thinks that communism wouldn't be so bad if they'd just get the kinks out of the system.

so basically a hippie-commie, right?

Well, Webb is very popular in Virginia. And Virginia is becoming more and more Democratic-leaning, so he has a good chance of keeping his seat in 2012.
I don't think that Virginia is becoming Democratic leaning but it is certainly no longer a Republican stronghold and I feel that it's a reliable swing state like Ohio, Iowa, and New Hampshire. That's the way I feel that states should be, not strongholds for certain parties like Texas, New York, and California.

And Gilmore was a very popular governor also. The only problem with his Senate campaign is that he's going up against someone who is even more popular. I think if Gilmore runs again in 2012, he'll win.

I think Spitzer will be re-elected. I'll compare his situation to the one in Illinois in 2006. Governor Rod Blagojevich was under investigation for corruption, and was very unpopular, yet he managed to win re-election because he didn't have a strong enough opponent. I don't think Bloomberg would run for Governor myself, especially if he dumps money into a Presidential bid and loses. If someone could shoo-- I mean, put Joe Bruno in a nice, comfy retirement hold with all the other cranky 82-year-old men, some of Spitzer's problems would magically disappear. Unfortunately, some of his policy concerns are a bit unpopular-- but those things manage to disappear over time.
In my opinion, Bloomberg will run for governor if he doesn't run for President. If he runs for President, he won't run for governor.

I think the only way Spitzer will end up getting re-elected is if Bloomberg doesn't run. He certainly won't win by the large margin he won last time though. But if Bloomberg does run, Spitzer's done for.

Malice said:
If you believe it was a party that did it, then you are sadly misunderstanding Washington as it exists.

Washington has become an ineffectual entity. Rarely does anything really get passed that has any other then stopgaps and temporary solutions.

Granted there is a Republican in the presidency. A year ago, the Democrats came into power, and not a damn thing has been done there either.

It really is just a stalemate basically of ineffectual leadership across the board.

I think the Democrats have tied Bush's hands so he can't do anymore damange than what he has already done. I heard this once,and it makes perfect sence. True change,is when America has a Democratic president.

MaskedManJRK said:
I have no love for most of the Republican party at this point, but I have just as little for the Democrats.

Honestly,your right. The Democrats could have ended Iraq..but kept their wallets open to give money..why? For votes..if the money ended,the Republicans could use that and bash the Democrats for it.

bunk said:
Never liked Romney anyway. Good riddance.

Indeed.

BlackLantern said:
Ignorant Americans are ruining America...people who still wont or cant look past race and gender, people who choose to revel in their own ignorance and crap on anyone who attempts to change things

That's the Republicans for not wanting abortion legalized. It's their personal views ahead of what is right.

LuiECuomo said:
Don't pay attention to the ignorant troll. Look at his stupid user title.

I am not ignorant,if my title really was trolling..it would have been taken away. But it's there because people understand what i mean.

Keep laughing while your country is in a recession,and you have to pay more and more for basic things.:grin:

I think the Democrats have tied Bush's hands so he can't do anymore damange than what he has already done. I heard this once,and it makes perfect sence. True change,is when America has a Democratic president.

Honestly,your right. The Democrats could have ended Iraq..but kept their wallets open to give money..why? For votes..if the money ended,the Republicans could use that and bash the Democrats for it.

Indeed.

That's the Republicans for not wanting abortion legalized. It's their personal views ahead of what is right.

I am not ignorant,if my title really was trolling..it would have been taken away. But it's there because people understand what i mean.

Keep laughing while your country is in a recession,and you have to pay more and more for basic things.:grin:

I laugh at your pathetic ignorance at your knowledge of this country.

There are two points I want to address, and I advise Arkady Rossovich to read this closely:

You know what? Republicans don't only oppose abortion. There are pro-life Democrats. Bob Casey, Jr. is a Democratic Senator from Pennsylvania, and he is staunchly pro-life. Three of my friends are devout Catholics. They're Democrats, and they are pro-life. In fact, I would say there are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of Democrats who are pro-life. And you know what? I respect their opinions. I understand what they and the Republicans think about this issue, and I know where they are coming from.

Abortion is a very tricky issue. I don't promote the idea that women should get abortions. In fact, I don't think anyone thinks women should pursue abortion as a first resort when confronted with an unwanted pregnancy. But the reason why I think women should be able to get an abortion is very simple: It's their choice to make. It isn't mine. It isn't the father of the child. It's a choice a woman and only a woman can make. Most women make a rational choice about this, too. It's usually an emotional struggle, and a very difficult decision to make. If a woman decides an abortion is her best option, then I don't think anyone should stand in her way. And if someone is opposed to abortion-- Republican, Democrat, independent or politically apathetic-- then more power to them for sticking to their morals.

Abortion isn't a blue or red issue confined to one party, and to say that Republicans are evil because they don't support abortions is an ignorant statement-- especially from someone who knows so very little about the US political system.

Republicans are not evil. The philosophy of the Republican Party is not evil. Are there misguided tensions within the party? Sure. I'd say the same thing about a few issues the Democrats support, too. But to say that the Republican Party is Satan, and that the Democrats are Jesus, is like comparing the Sun with the Moon.

The core differences between Democrats and Republicans lie within their ideologies, not the people of the party. I have friends who are hardcore conservatives. Friends who I wouldn't vote for if they ran for office, and friends who wouldn't vote for me if I did the same. But we get along, go to parties together, watch movies, talk politics... our lives go on. We coexist. To dip into the analogy reservoir once again, it's a lot like what goes on in this forum. You have DC fans and Marvel fans, and both fans support their hero of choice adamantly. But most of us can get along just fine, whether we like Batman or Spider-Man. It's the extremists, the ones who post in Heath Ledger's memorial thread saying "He should have died because teh Joker is teh suck" or the ones who post in the Spider-Man thread who say "Spider-Man is teh gay" who ruin everything. And that's what people like you do. You confine people to their political party and generate an opinion about them because of their party affiliation. You don't judge them as a person, and that really, really sucks.

If you want an excellent example of how people aren't driven solely on partisanship in our government... look at Barack Obama. He is the most liberal member of the Senate. Do you know who one of his best friends is? It's Tom Coburn from Oklahoma, arguably one of the most conservative members in the Senate. They became friends after Mrs. Coburn and Mrs. Obama had dinner together, and decided to invite their husbands along for their next get together. Since then, they've been incredibly close. They differ on policy issues, but they respect and admire each other as people. Just as I would expect SupermanBeyond or Malice to respect some of the more liberal posters here. While debate on certain issues may be heated sometimes, at the end of the day, we all get along, and none of us attack each other because of their party affiliation or ideological principles-- though we may debate it thoroughly and caustically.

That is a Great Post Jman. I don't agree with you politically, but that really hit it on the head. Except, Politics is far, far more serious than whether Marvel sucks or DC sucks. The debates we have here on the Hype, and the debates they have in Washington, and the Debate the talking heads have: They affect every one of us, through lose of Liberty, or Taxes. I don't want my children to wake up to the oppression that could happen if we the American People don't wake up and take back our Government.

You know why the Democrats can't get anything done? Because the Republican Party has filibustered every single bill the Democrats put up for a vote in the Senate. As a result, the Democrats need to get over 60 votes in order for debate to even take place on a bill. The latest bill which outlined a strategy for withdrawing from Iraq received 57 votes-- three short of the votes needed to thwart the filibuster.

I remember when the Republican Party used to whine and cry about the Dems filibustering the GOP's judicial nominees, the gay marriage amendment, and so on and so forth. "WHAAAAAA! WHAAAAA! They're filibustering our bill!!! They're ruining America's values! WHAAAA! WHAAAA!!!" Now, they're doing the exact same thing they spoke out against with the Democrats.

These measures, by comparison, always pass in the House of Representatives. I don't think any of these bills were defeated in the House. Unfortunately, the Republican Party and President Bush have caused this period of legislative gridlock-- the GOP because they have filibustered several important bills, and Bush because he's vetoed several important bills-- not the Democratic Party.

Also, Congress's rating has always been low. Historically, people hate Congress, but they love their Congressmen. So it's not like many of these guys will be leaving in the near future.

Before I dig in on this one, we disagree on nearly everything, but your last post was admirable.

Now, as to this about the filibuster, the Democrats have done the exact same thing, bad place, each Party simply trades roles every election year. So to say this is somehow all the Republican's fault is misleading at best.

The Democrats rode the wave of 'change' and were voted in by the people to deliver just that. They came in roaring and promising to come through on the trust that the American public had bestowed on them. They failed. Period. All that self-righteous bluster came down to a squeak, THAT'S why they're hitting record lows in ratings, Congressional ratings are usually lower than Presidential ratings, but not THIS low. They failed the people that put them there and now they're suffering the consequences, so the blame is on their shoulders as well.

The bills get busted and vetoed because neither side wants to budge for fear of losing ground. These bills failed because of a lack of compromise, plain and simple, and a lack of compromise means these bills failed because of a Democratic Congress, the Senate, AND the President, not simply the latter as you tried to highlight.

When both sides find common ground and a need to save face, they'll work together to get things passed in record time, as we can see with the newly approved stimulus package. This session could have been that successful if there were more compromises on both sides of the aisle. So it's hardly fair to blame this Congress' ineffectual nature on the President and the Republican Party.

nah, i think that applies more to "neo-cons". there's no equivalent to that on the left, that i know of. "neo-libs"?

You can't possibly be trying to say that there is no extreme left wing. Come now, simply because they don't have a pretty title i.e. 'neo-con' does not by any means equate to them not existing. Secular progressives, ultra liberals, ect. you can find them just as heavily on the other end of the spectrum.

Moveon.org is a good place to start your easter egg hunt.

There are two points I want to address, and I advise Arkady Rossovich to read this closely:

You know what? Republicans don't only oppose abortion. There are pro-life Democrats. Bob Casey, Jr. is a Democratic Senator from Pennsylvania, and he is staunchly pro-life. Three of my friends are devout Catholics. They're Democrats, and they are pro-life. In fact, I would say there are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of Democrats who are pro-life. And you know what? I respect their opinions. I understand what they and the Republicans think about this issue, and I know where they are coming from.

Abortion is a very tricky issue. I don't promote the idea that women should get abortions. In fact, I don't think anyone thinks women should pursue abortion as a first resort when confronted with an unwanted pregnancy. But the reason why I think women should be able to get an abortion is very simple: It's their choice to make. It isn't mine. It isn't the father of the child. It's a choice a woman and only a woman can make. Most women make a rational choice about this, too. It's usually an emotional struggle, and a very difficult decision to make. If a woman decides an abortion is her best option, then I don't think anyone should stand in her way. And if someone is opposed to abortion-- Republican, Democrat, independent or politically apathetic-- then more power to them for sticking to their morals.

Abortion isn't a blue or red issue confined to one party, and to say that Republicans are evil because they don't support abortions is an ignorant statement-- especially from someone who knows so very little about the US political system.

Republicans are not evil. The philosophy of the Republican Party is not evil. Are there misguided tensions within the party? Sure. I'd say the same thing about a few issues the Democrats support, too. But to say that the Republican Party is Satan, and that the Democrats are Jesus, is like comparing the Sun with the Moon.

The core differences between Democrats and Republicans lie within their ideologies, not the people of the party. I have friends who are hardcore conservatives. Friends who I wouldn't vote for if they ran for office, and friends who wouldn't vote for me if I did the same. But we get along, go to parties together, watch movies, talk politics... our lives go on. We coexist. To dip into the analogy reservoir once again, it's a lot like what goes on in this forum. You have DC fans and Marvel fans, and both fans support their hero of choice adamantly. But most of us can get along just fine, whether we like Batman or Spider-Man. It's the extremists, the ones who post in Heath Ledger's memorial thread saying "He should have died because teh Joker is teh suck" or the ones who post in the Spider-Man thread who say "Spider-Man is teh gay" who ruin everything. And that's what people like you do. You confine people to their political party and generate an opinion about them because of their party affiliation. You don't judge them as a person, and that really, really sucks.

If you want an excellent example of how people aren't driven solely on partisanship in our government... look at Barack Obama. He is the most liberal member of the Senate. Do you know who one of his best friends is? It's Tom Coburn from Oklahoma, arguably one of the most conservative members in the Senate. They became friends after Mrs. Coburn and Mrs. Obama had dinner together, and decided to invite their husbands along for their next get together. Since then, they've been incredibly close. They differ on policy issues, but they respect and admire each other as people. Just as I would expect SupermanBeyond or Malice to respect some of the more liberal posters here. While debate on certain issues may be heated sometimes, at the end of the day, we all get along, and none of us attack each other because of their party affiliation or ideological principles-- though we may debate it thoroughly and caustically.

One of the best posts on this forum Jman.....good job.:up: :up:

One of the best posts on this forum Jman.....good job.:up: :up:

Here, here.....Most Americans seem to forget that you can differ on politics and various issues without demonizing the person who doesnt agree with you

This is my opinion.
I dont like anyone running now...
Since Mitt bailed...I dont know where to go...

Hillary is not an option....
Obama I like, just dont like the policies
McCain kinda scares me....

I feel sick now.
Simple: Don't vote for anybody.

You dont vote....you dont get to complain....so vote for who you feel best suits your ideals

Great post man... really. :yay:

There is a novel by Orson Scott Card - Empire. It is a political thriller with a hint of Sci-Fi but the whole thing sets up a great epilogue from Orson Scott Card which speaks to the same sentiment as you have. If you have not read it, you may want to pick it up, even if you just read the epilogue. I think you, along with many here will really enjoy it.

Anyhow, well done.

You know why the Democrats can't get anything done? Because the Republican Party has filibustered every single bill the Democrats put up for a vote in the Senate. As a result, the Democrats need to get over 60 votes in order for debate to even take place on a bill. The latest bill which outlined a strategy for withdrawing from Iraq received 57 votes-- three short of the votes needed to thwart the filibuster.

I remember when the Republican Party used to whine and cry about the Dems filibustering the GOP's judicial nominees, the gay marriage amendment, and so on and so forth. "WHAAAAAA! WHAAAAA! They're filibustering our bill!!! They're ruining America's values! WHAAAA! WHAAAA!!!" Now, they're doing the exact same thing they spoke out against with the Democrats.

These measures, by comparison, always pass in the House of Representatives. I don't think any of these bills were defeated in the House. Unfortunately, the Republican Party and President Bush have caused this period of legislative gridlock-- the GOP because they have filibustered several important bills, and Bush because he's vetoed several important bills-- not the Democratic Party.

Also, Congress's rating has always been low. Historically, people hate Congress, but they love their Congressmen. So it's not like many of these guys will be leaving in the near future.

To be fair, both parties are guilty of Congress' ineffectiveness. Both the Republicans and Democrats fillibustered each others bills and both Republicans and Democrats have not tried at all to work together. They seem to enjoy the partisan hackery going on.

you're already oppressed.

but are you really?? Ill use my life for an example.....I am 28 years old, full time job, I have a decent apartment, I vote and I have a porn store like 5 minutes away. are any of us living in the US really oppressed?? do you wake up everyday in fear that you arent going to make it home that night?? That saying something bad about the government will get you disappeared/???

You can't possibly be trying to say that there is no extreme left wing. Come now, simply because they don't have a pretty title i.e. 'neo-con' does not by any means equate to them not existing. Secular progressives, ultra liberals, ect. you can find them just as heavily on the other end of the spectrum.

Moveon.org is a good place to start your easter egg hunt.

not at all. i'm saying that the term "liberal" seems to be a catchall for anything that's not conservative. the right-wing throws the term around whenever they need to subtly (and sometimes not so) disparage the democrats. there are degrees to a person's political ideology on both sides of the spectrum, but when you lump everyone left of center into one big group with the same label, it's a very convenient way of taking digs at the entire group, even though the extremists are a minority within that group and the majority happen to be made up of average, everyday people who are nothing like the baby-killing, vegan, communist hedonists the far-right would have you believe they are. that's what i'm talking about. do you get it now?

Id agree....both of the terms Liberal and secular seem to engender negative connotations

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"