Logan Origins Wolverine and Logan

Weather Witch

Likes Sand
Reaction score
So one thing I was talking about with someone during my last viewing of Logan is how many parallels there are between Origins Wolverine and Logan. Just now I saw someone else commenting the same thing and I would kinda like to get your views on this. To me it's funny how the most hated movie in the franchise, and the best reviewed in the franchise are similar in a lot of ways. I guess it shows what Origins Wolverine could have been with a better script.

• Logan in both movies has a relatively normal life coming from a lot of 'wars'.
  • Logan is not with the X-Men in both movies.
  • Both movies have a character that represents the animal that logan is scared to become. In Origins this is Victor and in Logan it is X-24. Both look similar as well.
  • Logan frees children that are being experimented upon in both movies.
  • Both movies have a scientist trying to deal with the Mutants problem with Stryker and Rice.
  • Both movies have the scientist character trying to create a 'better version' of Logan with Weapon XI and X-24.
  • Both movies deal with Logan's struggle to love anyone and people that he loves getting hurt.
  • Both movies deal with his family through Laura and Victor.
  • The adamantium bullet.
  • Rhino Buggies in Origins and the Reaver vehicles in Logan.
  • Both deal with variation of the Weapon X project, with Transigen picking up where Weapon X left off.
  • In both movies Logan stays with a normal couple which dies, except this time Logan actually advises against it, but Charles insists.
  • Origins give us adamantium and Logan shows us the long term consequences of that.
In a way, I think Logan was a do-over for all the part in Origins Wolverine and The Wolverine that Hugh and Mangold didn't like. And thankfully this time around they really delivered.

Origins had lots of good stuff despite being very weak in terms of plot and direction. It makes sense that Mangold would want to give some of that stuff a better execution.

He may also have wanted a bit of parallel due to the fact that Origins is (chronologically) Wolverine's first story in the X-men movie universe and Logan is his last, so they act sort of like bookends in a way.

Logan had a very O:W feel to it right from the off and I think the parallels you picked up on are valid ones. The poster above called O:W and Logan 'bookends' of Wolverine's story and I can understand Mangold going for a symmetry of sorts.

In terms of quality of course, there's no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"