Out of the loop

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by mocomic, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mocomic Philistian by choice

Ant man,
    About Pym or Scott Lang, I'm lost on current direction.

Also, please no Egghead stupidest villain concept. Well maybe most boring.

2. Ant-manic Registered

as it stands, there's only confirmation on Pym. there has been no real hints at the villain. it will probably not be a well known villain, though. and "Egghead" has as much potential as any other antagonist. it's all on how they use him. he didn't name himself Egghead by the way. that was a derogatory nickname given to him by the feds.

3. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Wait, when did anyone confirm Pym being present in Ant-Man? Pym has been confirmed as *not* present in Avengers 2, but I don't recall any word on which Ant-Man would star in the titular movie.

4. Ragnaroknroll Registered

I just hope we see the Wasp soon.

5. Mr. Dent Registered

>.>

6. Ragnaroknroll Registered

Thanks for sharing that Mr. Dent! I guess the thing that worries me is that the "swan song" will be Hank's (the character stuck in the 60's) and Scott Lang will be the Ant-Man for the MCU if he's part of it at all. I'm sure the film will be great. It's Edgar Wright. I'm certainly intrigued.

But I'm a little wistful that we won't see the Hank and Janet dynamic like we got in EMH. But who knows? Get Kang and some time travel in there and anything can happen down the road...

7. Ant-manic Registered

no disrespect but that stuff above isn't confirmation of anything. i want that story. but there have been changes to the script since then. the last news on this was about Hank Pym being in it (and not in Avengers 2).

edgar-wright-confirms-well-meet-hank-pym-in-ant-man-884404416

that's why i said that Hank's the only confirmed character, at the moment. i suppose we'll all know more when they start casting.

8. Mr. Dent Registered

they didn't change the core of the story, that's the story they always wanted to tell. scripts go through many drafts before being finalized, but that story is the Ant-Man story Wright always wanted to do and why Marvel brought him on. Given their comments on the matter, it's clear that basic plot is still the same.

9. Ant-manic Registered

like i said, i want that story. but Wright hasn't truly confirmed anything about the plot. the signs pointed that way because they made Scott Lang Ant-Man in the books. but recent solicits show Hank Pym as Ant-Man. i don't know that we can predict what Wright will do.

#9 Ant-manic, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. Mr. Dent Registered

I don't even know what you're talking about, but the comics are for synergy they don't match the movies. Hank Pym is taking up the Ant-Man person in Avengers AI again for maybe a brief time iirc, and Scott Lang has been Ant-Man for as long as he's been in the comics, but neither of those means one or the other will or will not be in the film.

What we know is that Wright CONFIRMED that the above plot is the story he wanted to tell, said at SDCC last year that the story is based on To Steal An Ant-Man, which is consistent with the above, and said what they were doing with Avengers didn't not fit with his movie (ie they couldn't use Hank) and Whedon said having Ultron in A2 lets Wright own the Ant-Man character the way he wants. There's absolutely no reason not to think that the above core story has changed at all, the opposite rather.

11. Ant-manic Registered

what we are disagreeing upon is whether this constitutes confirmation or not. i don't think it does. when Wright starts talking about scott lang, i'll take that as confirmation. if you look at the news story that i posted, the actual interviewer interpreted (in error, by my estimation) it as "Wright says Pym is Ant-Man." you can argue with me. but the only confirmed characters is Hank Pym, at the moment. for all you know, they swapped out Scott for Janet.

12. mocomic Philistian by choice

Ok glad to hear Pym will be present.

My thoughts.
    Let Hank Pym be say late 30's to early 40's, more mature than Scott Lang but not a grandpa figure. Scott needs to be late 20's maybe early 30's because Cassie would be a crucial motivation. So he has to be a young father.

I hate thinking we have to have origins stuck in the 60's. I'm a child of the 60's and I just see it causing problems going forward.

13. Ant-manic Registered

yeah, i think Wright's a little obsessed with the idea of Pym fighting communists (and the B-Horror movie angle of Pym's origin). i understand where he's coming from. but it will just make things messy. maybe he could just show Pym's origin in the style of one of those old movies; without it actually taking place during the cold war. the only other way i can see it playing out is blatantly change things so that Pym started being Ant-Man as a young teen.

14. mocomic Philistian by choice

To get that Cold War feel. Let Pym get involved with fall of Soviet Union and breakup of Yugoslavia . Surely there are potential black market items to keep away from terrorists. Could even involve early versions of Ten rings.Hydra, and AIM.

Just rambling thoughts.

15. jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Wait...what?

16. mocomic Philistian by choice

Ant- maniac said Wright is obsessed with Hank fighting communism. I merely was offering a different possible spin. I became a Pym fan before marvel turned him into a wife beater . Still think Goliath was his best incarnation.