Overrated Comic Book Films - Part 1

What are yours? I think IM3 is horribly overrated and to a lesser extent TDKR.

[YT]MSRCoAgpQ3g[/YT]

Lol--I'm not going to pretend that I didn't turn away from the screen when Vanessa was using the..uh...accessory...on Wade. I actually covered my eyes and told my wife to let me know when it was over. This doesn't mean that I didn't like the overall product, but there were a couple of brief moments (his moment with the stuffed unicorn being another one) that I could have done without.

"Overrated Comic Films" you say...?

This thread is Comic Book Guy approved:
Comic-Book-Guy.jpg
:up:

There are a lot of overrated superhero movies but to me the one at the top of the list is Batman Begins. A lot of fans consider it a great movie and a classic in it's own right but without TDK I think it would have ended up being a footnote in history. A kind of different, decent at best Batman movie that no one would really talk about much.

Eh, even if its "just" decent, that's such a step up from the prior couple of movies, and basically all the attempts in between. It'd warrant more than just a footnote.

Eh, even if its "just" decent, that's such a step up from the prior couple of movies, and basically all the attempts in between. It'd warrant more than just a footnote.

It wouldn't be more revered than the Burton movies.

I'm sure it would have it's own cult following and there would be a legion of fans who swore over it's superiority but in the grand scheme of things it really failed to make the same kind of impact.

There are a lot of overrated superhero movies but to me the one at the top of the list is Batman Begins. A lot of fans consider it a great movie and a classic in it's own right but without TDK I think it would have ended up being a footnote in history. A kind of different, decent at best Batman movie that no one would really talk about much.

I feel the entire TDK trilogy is overrated. Wasn't really into Ledger's Joker myself, and Bane was a total snooze-fest. Actually for me Batman Begins was the most entertaining of the bunch, but in no way compares to the Burton movies.
From a pure goofy fun point of view the 1966 Adam West's Batman movie was more entertaining.

A lot of fans consider it a great movie and a classic in its own right but without TDK I think it would have ended up being a footnote in history.

Batman Begins has a more powerful influence on the direction of cinema than the entire LOTR trilogy even before TDK came out.

As for an answer to this thread's question, Iron Man, Avengers and Batman 89 immediately jump to mind.

I see their point. LOTR happened and was celebrated, whereas Batman Begins showcased how reboots could work.

Batman V Superman

When some say "people hated it cause it's deep", that's giving it more credit than it deserves. If the heavy handed politics in it are what makes it deep, I think Batman & Robin should qualify as deep the way it's tackling family issues, disease and different phases, desperation that turn good men cruel, illegal drug tests and creation of super steroids, environmental protection, the value of team work, the value of learning how to make a computer work properly, fixing smaller issues to make handling the bigger issue easier....

Batman Begins has a more powerful influence on the direction of cinema than the entire LOTR trilogy even before TDK came out.

As for an answer to this thread's question, Iron Man, Avengers and Batman 89 immediately jump to mind.

Got to agree to disagree with you on that one. Personally, I think that a film trilogy whose final chapter has 11 academy awards to its credit would have a lasting influence on flim-making.

I agree with the following article:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/11/22/how-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-changed-movies-forever

Reboots were happening before Batman Begins ( a great film and one I really like) and while it was an excellent reboot, it was hardly the the first ( e.g. Planet of the Apes 2001 was pretty bad, but the Mummy 1999 ,was okay).

Personally, I blame the proliferation of reboots on Hollywood running out of ideas, rather than the lasting impact of Batman Begins. While Begins is a superb reboot, it's the exception rather than the rule. Maybe
it showed that reboots could be done well, but I think that suggesting it's had
a greater influence on the direction of cinema than LOTR is over-estimating its importance. But that's just me.

I've looked at some numbers and the results are interesting.

I too think that Deadpool is over-rated, based on things I read on YT and forums, but when you look at numbers, it's: RT: Critics Average Rating: 6.9/10 (I don't count tomatometer, it's misleading, average rating is much better... since it's actual rating :yay:), Audience Average Rating: 4.3/5. Here I can agree with critics, the movie was just under 7 for me, I don't agree with audince here.

I think Avengers are terribly over-rated while Age of Ultron is pretty under-rated.

And when I look at Captain America: Civil War its Critics Average Rating is just 7.6/10 and Audience Average Rating: 4.3/5. So, from how I've enjoyed the film, I think it's highly over-rated by people who gave it 9 or 10/10, and audience's 4.3/5 i.e. 8.6/10 is rather too high as well, but 7.6 seems even a little lower than I'd expected which is surprising to me due to the fact how praised the film was overall. So it's actually the same situation as with Deadpool, I think it's over-rated by audience but I can agree with critics. I'd even put it a little higher, just under 8, despite totally nonsensical accords plot point (we can somewhere debate that, maybe I'm wrong), rather convenient Zemo's plan, etc.

I think Doctor Strange is very over-rated by audience, rating 4.2/5 i.e. 8.4/10, and slightly (by like one digit) by critics, rating 7.3/10.

You could make the argument that Episode I was the movie that blew the door open on prequels and origin stories, paving the way for a movie like Batman Begins... but it definitely shifted the tone and direction of a lot of these franchises, with more emphasis on real world aesthetics and less escapism. Arguably the most well known 'gritty reboot'.

But as a movie, I find it highly overrated.

For me it's The Dark Knight Rises. IMO it's the worst in the series and I have trouble watching it. My biggest problem is how little Batman is in the film. It's not horrible, but some of the acting and pacing is unbearable to me.

At the top of my head:

-X-Men: Days of Future Past
-The Dark Knight Rises
-Doctor Strange
-The first Thor movie

Granted, I don't dislike these films in the slightest; I enjoy them just fine. I just don't think they're amazing.

Don't know if it's been brought up in previous posts but I think Deadpool is an overrated movie, and it isn't because I'm not a fan of the character (btw I'm not) but hearing from all these fanboy reviewers on Youtube like the guys from Collider just make me dislike the movie more.

I mean seeing it once is fine but with repeated viewings the whole 4th wall breaking jibberrish is fine in comic books but not for live action and really there's no need for constant cursing throwing F-bombs to get a laugh unless you're Scarface.

Difficult to judge as most things are either overrated or hated-on in fan communities (speaking as someone inside that bracket of course).

'The Dark Knight Rises' comes to mind first. It's a really well crafted, kinda crappy film. The plot is ridiculous, and the pacing is crushed by benching Batman one too many times. Bane is by far the most memorable thing about the film, and not for the reasons intended.

I don't think Begins is overrated to be honest. The 3rd act is pretty poor, but then again I don't see nearly as many people talk about this film as they do the others.

Most of the MCU is pretty unremarkable. They have nailed the formula and make fun films. They've yet to release a film that I consider to be bad. As the story expands however, each chapter becomes less and less special. The strength of the franchise right now is the whole.

Think I've said this before, but the most overrated comicbook movie by far is X-men First Class. I swear half of the love that movie gets is more because of the director than the actual movie itself.

And TDKR might be overrated by critics, but I think the reception among fans tends to be mixed.

I agree on First Class
but I'm sure nobody here wants to hear me rant about that again

I'd also say TDKR, X:Men DOFP, and Watchmen (now, as it seems to have risen in a lot of fans minds, but not mine)

you can never trust an internet poll when it comes to batman related stuff

the batfan can smell internet polls, and devours them voraciously

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"