Overrated Comic Book Films - Part 1

CBM's were pretty good this year, but overall I feel this year has sucked rocks for movies. I haven't seen "It" yet, which I heard is really good, and Baby Driver was probably the best non-CBM release. Overall though this has been a terrible year for movies and the results have reflected at the Box office.

CBM's were pretty good this year, but overall I feel this year has sucked rocks for movies. I haven't seen "It" yet, which I heard is really good, and Baby Driver was probably the best non-CBM release. Overall though this has been a terrible year for movies and the results have reflected at the Box office.

It's been a terrible year for franchise movies (save for Wonder Woman, Logan, and the MCU, ironically enough after all the shouts of "superhero fatigue").

But in terms of non-superhero fare? We have seen as bonafide hits that are also really great smaller gems like Get Out, It (as you mentioned), Split, Baby Driver, and even carryover hits from last December like La La Land and Hidden Figures. Plus for big movies that are great and did great business, we had Dunkirk.

Actually, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a great year for movies. The ones that are turning it into a Box office drag that flopped almost* all sucked. (Pirates 5, Transformers 5, The Mummy, King Arthur, and whatever else I'm forgetting).

*It's a shame War for the Planet of the Apes underperformed as it was really well done. And on a "small movie" note, I am saddened that Detroit flopped, because that movie was an intense pressure cooker that should be seen.

It's been a terrible year for franchise movies (save for Wonder Woman, Logan, and the MCU, ironically enough after all the shouts of "superhero fatigue").

That gets a good snicker from me.

But in terms of non-superhero fare? We have seen as bonafide hits that are also really great smaller gems like Get Out, It (as you mentioned), Split, Baby Driver, and even carryover hits from last December like La La Land and Hidden Figures. Plus for big movies that are great and did great business, we had Dunkirk.

Actually, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a great year for movies. The ones that are turning it into a Box office drag that flopped almost* all sucked. (Pirates 5, Transformers 5, The Mummy, King Arthur, and whatever else I'm forgetting).

*It's a shame War for the Planet of the Apes underperformed as it was really well done. And on a "small movie" note, I am saddened that Detroit flopped, because that movie was an intense pressure cooker that should be seen.

In the main I agree, its been a great year so far with more to come. War Of The Planet of the Apes doing poorly domestically baffles me, as its the best movie of the year so far imo. Then there is Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Split, It, John Wick 2 (though I preferred the original personally) and a few others I didn't get the chance to see like Get Out.

Then we have Blade Runner, Ragnorak, Justice League and Star Wars to come.

So far, this year has great for superhero/Comic book movies both for American (Homecoming is great, Guardians Remix was great, Logan was great) and Japan (i'm very satisfied with Gintama, JoJo Bizzare Adventure, and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Movie) .... but if I have to choose what movie get overrated, I'd choose Wonder Woman, which I finally saw a week ago

Before i see the movie, the hype of this movie outside where I live is huge, it get a lot of Praise from a lot of fans here too...and i was excited to see it.

It is not a bad movie at all, but it is not great either... after I watched it, my first reaction is so-so, not getting blow up or something... especially the scene No Man Land which gain my interest after i read page after page in Marvel vs DC thread... but after I watch it, I thought "Is that it?" It was Not a bad moment but also not a great defining moment also (If i choose the great defining character moment, Luke's "Never, I'm never turn to the dark side, I am a Jedi like my father before me" or Cap's "Price of Freedom" was more better a lot.

Ps: I used to think that first Guardians of the Galaxy movie is overrated but along with times, i grew to love it even more, especially the ending, and the main theme is better every time i hear it.

Now, I'm very excited also with the rest of the movie which will be release for the rest of the year (Thor Ragnarok, Justice League, Full Metal Alchemist, and The Last Jedi)

I tend not to like YouTube videos for modern movie reviews. They are either somewhat glossy and not very in-depth in their criticism (although I find Jeremy Jahns entertaining t watch) or they're 40 minutes long, trenchant, and sometimes nitpicky. I still tend to prefer print voices.

With that said, I do enjoy some of the video essayists who do less reviews than overviews on the genre or geek genres as a whole. Lindsay Ellis, Patrick H. Willems, and Nerd Writer are all very smart and really make me think, even when I disagree with them.

Good Movies 2016 -- Captain America Civil War. That's it.

Good Movies 2017 -- Logan, Wonder Woman, Spiderman HC, Dunkirk so far. Blade Runner 2049 and the Last Jedi on their way.

Hardly been a bad year for movies, especially compared to last year.

A lot of Marvel's recent output is overrated, and while I watch most of them theatrically, they don't have me anticipating the sequel or the Blu-ray/DVD release. Both GOTG films have underwhelmed me, while Doctor Strange was 'meh' (surprised they haven't greenlit a sequel for that one yet). And compared to how good Winter Soldier was, Civil War couldn't compare.

Spider-Man Homecoming was one of the most disappointing MCU films in recent memory, and while it did some things right by not retreading Raimi/Webb territory, the action was mostly disappointing and they laid on the humor too thick. The cast was fantastic and Keaton was the standout. I hope they really step it up with the sequel, stop with the Hughes homages every 15 minutes.

Homecoming was the worst movie of 2017 that I've seen so far and easily Marvel's worst movie.

Have you not seen Iron Man 2?
You mean that semi-filler movie that did nothing more than change Rhodey's actor and introduce Black Widow? Still more entertaining than the second Thor film.

I liked Homecoming and Iron Man 2. In my opinion, the only outright “bad” Marvel movie so far was Thor: The Dark World. And even that had great banter between Thor and Loki.

Justice League is vastly overrated. :oldrazz:
Seriously though, I mean it.

I didn't care for it ether but it was better than IM3 for me at least.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 a lot more than Spider-Man Homecoming. It at least did something different. The Mandarin twist didn't bother me either.

One of the most irritating things of SMH was the hero worship Peter laid on Tony. I haven't read most of the recent Spidey comics, but the ones I read didn't have Spider-Man being enamored with Iron Man. Tony was inserted into the narrative (rather awkwardly) so that Sony could have a marketing hook to get the MCU fans on board.

The Dark Knight rises takes the crown for me. Hardly any Batman and alot of the plot and script didn't make sense. I find it boring most times. Anne Hathaway was the best part of the film for me.

Blade Runner and It too.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 a lot more than Spider-Man Homecoming. It at least did something different. The Mandarin twist didn't bother me either.

One of the most irritating things of SMH was the hero worship Peter laid on Tony. I haven't read most of the recent Spidey comics, but the ones I read didn't have Spider-Man being enamored with Iron Man. Tony was inserted into the narrative (rather awkwardly) so that Sony could have a marketing hook to get the MCU fans on board.

I am liking Homecoming a bit more on re-watch, but I agree with you on this. I find this aspect really annoying, especially when Peter barely mentions Uncle Ben throughout.

After my X-Men marathon last month I thought Days of Future Past is overrated, it's the movie that truly shattered the film series continuity.
That bit is a few panels from Ultimate Spider-Man issue 150, pumped up a great deal in adaptions for some reason.

I agree that DOFP is overrated. It’s a good movie but I still wish Matthew Vaughn was allowed to make his sequel to First Class rather than Singer coming back to suck all the comic book elements out of it and build most of the movie around Wolverine again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"