Overrated Comic Book Films - Part 1

Though the rest of the world is often portrayed in the media as "anti-American", the actual relationship is closer to "love-hate". People are also willing and enthusiastic about watching American movies, and understand that they're often pro-American propaganda.

Captain America is not more jingoistic than Transformers, Iron Man, or Man of Steel. All of them portray the US military-industrial complex as predominantly functional and motivated by the greater good.

Batman Begins had to follow Batman & Robin and reestablish goodwill for the franchise. Even with that disadvantage, it became a sleeper hit and popularized the modern reboot trend, meaning its influence stretches beyond the CBM genre. Even without being the megahit that TDK was, it still did more for Batman than what TFA did for Cap.
Circumstances regardless, it's still the same. I think Batman Begins is a solid movie and even help turn around the character after B&R...
You can't put aside circumstances. To do so is to ignore reality. The two films had completely different situations, and you have to take that into account.

It actually says something that none of you guys even mentioned the 90s Cap movie. :sly:

It actually says something that none of you guys even mentioned the 90s Cap movie. :sly:

It was a made for TV flick that only comic fans watched. The 70s Cap series probably reached more people in terms of general public influence.

Either way, it didn't reach a wide enough audience to have an effect on the public perception of Cap. But those rubber ears are entertaining.

I just think the only people who actually love Captain America as a character are Americans.
They're the majority anyway. People outside of America simply don't think highly of him and rightfully so.

I mean you have a white dude rocking the Puerto Rican flag as a costume. He's just difficult to be taken seriously.

That hypothesis doesn't align well with the Box Office numbers.

CA:TFA was heavy on domestic, where that accounted for 47% of the BO, but the two sequels both had domestic numbers that only accounted for 36% of the total BO. Clearly he's doing very well internationally.

The MCU character with the most domestic pull is Iron Man, who's first two films were over 50% domestic at the BO.

This could of course be seen as that phase 1, before the Avengers, was more of a hit in North America and that the international audience grew with the Avengers.

The only recent superhero film I know about that's really heavy on domestic numbers is Wonder Woman, otherwise they generally lie somewhere in the 30s for domestic, and as shown Cap doesn't divert from that at all.

And aside from the numbers, something like The Winter Soldier has a good deal of criticism towards the American society, so Cap's trilogy is definitely not just a "yay America!" thing.

Last edited:
I just think the only people who actually love Captain America as a character are Americans.
They're the majority anyway. People outside of America simply don't think highly of him and rightfully so.

I mean you have a white dude rocking the Puerto Rican flag as a costume. He's just difficult to be taken seriously.

False. I love Evans's Cap. Before they got Spider-Man there, he was my favorite character in MCU. Kindness is an universal value.

Mjölnir;36246229 said:
That hypothesis doesn't align well with the Box Office numbers.

CA:TFA was heavy on domestic, where that accounted for 47% of the BO, but the two sequels both had domestic numbers that only accounted for 36% of the total BO. Clearly he's doing very well internationally.

The MCU character with the most domestic pull is Iron Man, who's first two films were over 50% domestic at the BO.

This could of course be seen as that phase 1, before the Avengers, was more of a hit in North America and that the international audience grew with the Avengers.

The only recent superhero film I know about that's really heavy on domestic numbers is Wonder Woman, otherwise they generally lie somewhere in the 30s for domestic, and as shown Cap doesn't divert from that at all.

And aside from the numbers, something like The Winter Soldier has a good deal of criticism towards the American society, so Cap's trilogy is definitely not just a "yay America!" thing.

I'm not talking about the movies themselves, just the character.

False. I love Evans's Cap. Before they got Spider-Man there, he was my favorite character in MCU. Kindness is an universal value.

And where you come from, is the character favored more than others by the majority?

Kindness is an universal value.
But being a cornball isn't.

I'm not talking about the movies themselves, just the character.

If a movie focusing on said character makes money in other countries, then people in those other countries enjoy the character enough to buy tickets.

And where you come from, is the character favored more than others by the majority?

Kindness is an universal value.
But being a cornball isn't.

More than others by majority? No. But you originally said that no non-Americans love the character. I don't like hyperboles. :oldrazz:

Mjölnir;36246895 said:
Cap is the driving part of the first two, and at least an equal part to Stark in the third, so I don't think you can separate those things.

But that doesn't make him the favorite part of the movie. I mean even in Winter Soldier, There are people who love that movie cuz of Bucky and the storyline. Not Necessarily cuz of Cap. Ya know what I mean?
Even Nick Fury is favored over Cap in some circles.

But that doesn't make him the favorite part of the movie. I mean even in Winter Soldier, There are people who love that movie cuz of Bucky and the storyline. Not Necessarily cuz of Cap. Ya know what I mean?
Even Nick Fury is favored over Cap in some circles.

I think my stance of that there are non-Americans that love Cap has been presented with much more facts to support it than your stance of that only Americans love him.

No.... he’s right. You made a blanket statement that you could never possibly support and he’s effectively pointed out how ridiculous it is.

I like Chris Evans and in fact the whole damn cast of The First Avengers. Wonderful music too. In fact, I'll even say the first hour, while very straightforward and conventional, is a great way to introduce Steve Rogers and does a wonderful job setting his world and story up all the way through when he is performing for the USO near the frontlines of Europe.

It is just after he goes on his first mission, the movie goes off the rails for me. It just loses all narrative momentum and, as many people have said, becomes basically a glorified montage and clip show. Bucky's death is therefore meaningless to me, because I never invested in the character, and Cap's fight against the Red Skull is also equally disappointing because the film works so hard to underplay the WWII aesthetic. Not only do we not really see him fight Nazis, but the faceless Stormtrooper-esque (Star Wars, not WWI, heh) HYDRA guys use laser weapons also like Star Wars.

So yeah, I think fans do overrate that movie. While it has its flaws, Wonder Woman showed last year how to do a period piece wartime superhero movie much better as a whole, even if it stumbles some in the third act.
This is exactly how I felt about CA: The first Avenger, but my limitations in the English language made me word it shorter. You nailed all the details here.

And I agree completly on your pros and cons about the WW movie. IMHO regardless of it flaws, it still was a way better period piece war movie than the first Cap flick.

You said it here.

...That's not the same thing he said.
What I said does not mean the same thing he said, neither were they the same words. Which is why I think you guys don't understand words.

And Frankly, I just don't care to explain what I mean if I already said what I mean but you guys think words mean other words. sooo what's the point?

Maybe its my English. hahaha!

That's probably it then. But I think I now understand what you meant. When you said people, you didn't intend to mean individual people, but more like groups of people. Like for example I could say "my people are nerds". In that case you might be correct.

What I said does not mean the same thing he said, neither were they the same words. Which is why I think you guys don't understand words.

And Frankly, I just don't care to explain what I mean if I already said what I mean but you guys think words mean other words. sooo what's the point?

If you cut it with the condescension and overgeneralizations, you'd see that people were giving perfectly good answers. CA's overseas box office is proof that he's resonating with foreign audiences. You see pictures of people dressed as Cap or wearing CA-themed apparel/accessories in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. To say he's only popular in America is to overlook all of that.

Last edited:

How are people not understanding the words you used, when the exact wording you used was used as an example. That's just making excuses. If you're going to make a point like that, defend it. Respond to people with actual points that support your logic, as opposed to saying you didn't make statement X or somehow we don't understand you. You're being quoted word for word.

This is like telling someone you hate fish, then complain that they never make you salmon and when they call you out for saying you hate fish, you just say I never said that!

Last edited:
It was a made for TV flick that only comic fans watched. The 70s Cap series probably reached more people in terms of general public influence.

Either way, it didn't reach a wide enough audience to have an effect on the public perception of Cap. But those rubber ears are entertaining.

The 90s movie was not made for TV. It ended up straight to video here, but did play in theaters in some markets, including Germany.

:whatever:
How are people not understanding the words you used, when the exact wording you used was used as an example. That's just making excuses. If you're going to make a point like that, defend it. Respond to people with actual points that support your logic, as opposed to saying you didn't make statement X or somehow we don't understand you. You're being quoted word for word.

This is like telling someone you hate fish, then complain that they never make you salmon and when they call you out for saying you hate fish, you just say I never said that!

Exactly, How?...I believe its cuz people don't know what words mean. If I'm being quoted word for word how our people interpreting those words the way they are?

hahaha! You Love Spider-Man, right? He's You favorite?....But Does your love for him diminish your "Like/enjoyment" for lets say Batman?

No. At least it shouldn't It just means you "love" Spider-Man.

Nowhere in what I said, Did I say people don't like Cap. Just that not everybody loves him.

So If I say something I mean with words and you add/change those words to make it mean something else. That's your issue and the issue of those like you. You guys are a headache, man hahaha Real talk.
And you've already told me I can't call people out on that stuff so I'm trying to avoid it but you're coercing me to do it.

Show Me Where I said people hate Captain America. Show me.
hahaha!

Honestly, if you can't take words for what they mean and my English is that terrible than just please ignore me and move on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"