Overrated Comic Book Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
"This film is boring" has never been a good argumente.

Why not? I wasn't engaged by any of the characters so when the action kicked in I didn't care which resulted in me being bored.

I was also bored for the 3rd act of Batman Begins because I didn't find Ras a compelling villian. Compelling mentor, yes. Compelling villian, no. I was looking at my watching wanting the movie to hurry up and finish. Liked the Joker card reveal though.

Ahaha Amazing is on the top 10 CBM on user RT and 81% top critics. Voted 2nd best Spidey with SM2 topping it (by almost double though) if anything this board considers SM2 quite a bit superior to TASM and SM1

Critics were so so on ASM where as the general audience really seemed to like it. My sister, the non comic book person said she really liked it.
But when I think of 'overrated' I normally think of CRITICS lauding a movie and that movie is mediocre rather than the GA.

Critics were so so on ASM where as the general audience really seemed to like it. My sister, the non comic book person said she really liked it.
But when I think of 'overrated' I normally think of CRITICS lauding a movie and that movie is mediocre rather than the GA.

Even BB got 69% which is ok/good from too critics. Critics gave Superman Returns 75% which is pretty good and look at the reaction to that

Why not? I wasn't engaged by any of the characters so when the action kicked in I didn't care which resulted in me being bored.

I was also bored for the 3rd act of Batman Begins because I didn't find Ras a compelling villian. Compelling mentor, yes. Compelling villian, no. I was looking at my watching wanting the movie to hurry up and finish. Liked the Joker card reveal though.
Then most people would have a good reason to dislike classic films like 2001. Being bored is very relative and varies from person to person, that may affect entertainment, but it's not a good argumente for how something was bad, maybe the factors of the film that lead you to be bored are. Like the film dragging too much or other flaws.

Then most people would have a good reason to dislike classic films like 2001. Being bored is very relative and varies from person to person, that may affect entertainment, but it's not a good argumente for how something was bad, maybe the factors of the film that lead you to be bored are. Like the film dragging too much or other flaws.

I don't mind 'slow burn' as long as I'm engaged and only compelling characters engage me. This is way I really like ASM (engaging characters) even though I thought the action was pretty terrible.

That's basically the case with me too. ASM got good scores at RT, but I know nobody in real life that actually liked it. They all thought Peter was too much of a jackass that they couldn't relate to or empathize.

That's basically the case with me too. ASM got good scores at RT, but I know nobody in real life that actually liked it. They all thought Peter was too much of a jackass that they couldn't relate to or empathize.

When Peter gains his powers he becomes a jackass. That's the way the story go. Then he is taken down to earth again when uncle Ben is killed because he was being an arrogant ***.

When Peter gains his powers he becomes a jackass. That's the way the story go. Then he is taken down to earth again when uncle Ben is killed because he was being an arrogant ***.

That's what is supposed to happen, but in ASM he's a dick until the very end of the movie. He learned nothing from Ben dying. Even at the end he puts his own selfish desires (get some action) over doing what's right (honoring his promises to a dying man and keeping the girl he loves safe from harm). There is nothing in ASM to suggest he changed at all.

It would be like if in Iron Man at the end of the movie Tony decides to start making weapons and sells them to the Army again.

Last edited:

Yep, that's how I saw it as well, Peter was a dukee until the death of his uncle and the talk with Captain Stacy over dinner. Peter is SUPPOSED to be dukee.

Yep, that's how I saw it as well, Peter was a dukee until the death of his uncle and the talk with Captain Stacy over dinner. Peter is SUPPOSED to be dukee.

Until Ben dies. In ASM they forgot that he was supposed to STOP being a dukee once that happens.

Iron Man 3 is definitely overrated. IMO, there is no way a movie that middle-of-the-road should’ve made a billion dollars world wide. I know “The Avengers” played a part, but still, people out there must’ve thought it was the greatest thing ever to give it that much repeat viewings.

And I guess some people don’t understand the concept “When it comes to Superman fans, MOS is overrated”….which means MOS is overrated….when it comes to Superman fans. Not in General.

As for TDKR, I don’t know how that’s overrated in these parts, when everyone and their mother (including me) either picks that movie apart, or acts like its complete trash. I definitely have my problems with that movie, but at the end of the day, I’d be foolish to say it’s a truly bad film.

I do agree that this thread loses credibility when films like “The Dark Knight”, “The Avengers”, and “Spider-Man 2” are listed as overrated. It’s one thing if it’s not your cup of tea, its another thing to call it overrated. The worst thing is, half the people who call those films overrated probably have some truly mediocre CBM’s in their personal top ten.

As for TDKR, I don’t know how that’s overrated in these parts, when everyone and their mother (including me) either picks that movie apart, or acts like its complete trash. I definitely have my problems with that movie, but at the end of the day, I’d be foolish to say it’s a truly bad film.

It's not a bad film in the sense that Green Lantern and Fantastic Four are bad. But people were talking best picture ever before the movie came out, so that's where the overrated stuff comes from. There's also some horribly bad acting in there from Matthew Modine and Marion Cotillard, and also some non-sense plot points that people tore apart films like Spider-man 3 for having similar ridiculous plots.

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is definitely overrated. IMO, there is no way a movie that middle-of-the-road should’ve made a billion dollars world wide. I know “THE DARK KNIGHT” played a part, but still, people out there must’ve thought it was the greatest thing ever to give it that much repeat viewings.

As for IRON MAN 3, I don’t know how that’s overrated in these parts, when everyone and their mother (including me) either picks that movie apart, or acts like its complete trash. I definitely have my problems with that movie, but at the end of the day, I’d be foolish to say it’s a truly bad film.

You see how you can easily flip flop these two and most would agree with both.

TDKR is totally overrated.

It's not a bad film in the sense that Green Lantern and Fantastic Four are bad. But people were talking best picture ever before the movie came out, so that's where the overrated stuff comes from. There's also some horribly bad acting in there from Matthew Modine and Marion Cotillard, and also some non-sense plot points that people tore apart films like Spider-man 3 for having similar ridiculous plots.

Exactly, it's not in a bad movie like those you mentioned, but it was laughable when people were talking Oscars with this movie, especially for best picture and director.

Until Ben dies. In ASM they forgot that he was supposed to STOP being a dukee once that happens.

Wait a second, after the talk with Captain Stacy how is Peter a dukee. The dinner talk + UB death completely changes his character.
You can argue not respecting Stacy's dying wish is a dukey thing to do but the guy is a teen not a monk.

Based on its own merits you can say TDKR is overrated. However, based on it being a 3rd movie and comparing it to other 3rd movies in the superhero genre the movie is practically a masterpiece.

I have learned not to care about the Iron Man 3 changes, i dislike what they did with the Mandarin but i hate the idea of now turning the Mandarin decoy into a villain that wants revenge, yep, turning the comic relief decoy into Iron Man's big villain. Go on with Killian, for better or for worse he is the mandarin, and he wasn't killed yet.

I think films like Amazing Spider-Man and The Man of Steel desserve their rating, and i know many people that like Amazing, i grew up with Raimi's trilogy and i prefer it but i disagree about it being a bad film at all.

The Dark Knight Rises was good, but in no way Oscar material, The Dark Knight was closer to tat quality, and even then i think Slumdog Millionaire was better movie and deserved Best Picture of 2008.

I don't recall many Oscar predictions for TDKR after it was actually released. It sounds like some people on here are complaining more about the hype prior to release than the actual reviews.

Skyfall was the blockbuster last year that some thought might have managed a Best Picture nomination. Not TDKR.

You see how you can easily flip flop these two and most would agree with both.

TDKR is totally overrated.

Exactly, it's not in a bad movie like those you mentioned, but it was laughable when people were talking Oscars with this movie, especially for best picture and director.

Sorry, I know you want this to be a "Batman vs Iron Man" dick measuring contest, but my post was not about that at all.

TDK should have taken best picture and had it not been a superhero movie it would have. Anyway Meh, Hurt Locker has taken best picture and that movie is ****ing rubbish so who cares about the Oscars?

I don't recall many Oscar predictions for TDKR after it was actually released. It sounds like some people on here are complaining more about the hype prior to release than the actual reviews.

Skyfall was the blockbuster last year that some thought might have managed a Best Picture nomination. Not TDKR.
No, after it was released, even if many fans were disapointed, WB tried to advertise the film for the oscars:

http://www.**************.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=69965

The part in "************" is "comic book movie" without spaces

Last edited:
WB advertising it and large numbers of people actually saying it should be aren't the same thing.
I don't know about you but i actually saw a lot of fans here in the forums saying it would happen

I don't know about you but i actually saw a lot of fans here in the forums saying it would happen

Mainly prior to release and then the odd vocal fanboy afterwards. There wasn't any real groundswell of support after release by the masses, unlike say...again, Skyfall. Or Inception a couple of years ago.

I don't mind someone thinking TDKR is overrated, just that they don't use pre-release hype and studio advertising as their justification.

Mainly prior to release and then the odd vocal fanboy afterwards. There wasn't any real groundswell of support after release by the masses, unlike say...again, Skyfall. Or Inception a couple of years ago.

I don't mind someone thinking TDKR is overrated, just that they don't use pre-release hype and studio advertising as their justification.
The thing is that after it was released there were still many fans saying that, not just a few. I don't remember many wanting Skyfall to win the oscars.

There was an Oscar thread, on the Batboards, so the talk continued for a while, and I even remember a film critic writing in his review that it was going to win best picture. But yeah there has never been a more overhyped film than TDKR.

I agree that Skyfall was lightyears better than TDKR, and if any film deserved an Oscar nod, that would be the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"