Overrated Films: Your Opinion

The Godfather part 1 & 2 - while good I don't see what the big deal was I guess back in the 70's movie going audiences were easy to shock.

Harry Potter films - I don't have any kids so I don't get what the big whooping deal was with these films.

Pixar films - a sad look at how silly pixelated CGI has taken over from traditional 2D hand drawn animation.

The Godfather part 1 & 2 - while good I don't see what the big deal was I guess back in the 70's movie going audiences were easy to shock.

Had nothing to do with shock whatsoever.

Pixar films - a sad look at how silly pixelated CGI has taken over from traditional 2D hand drawn animation.

I don't think it's silly or lame but I do find that their characters are too similar and they need to start being creative and actually giving their characters faces that look different from the next. I do miss 2D hand drawn animation.

I do agree that 2D animation should be as much in the fold as CG, but if the films are good then does it really matter if it's hand-drawn or done on a computer? You would have had something if you had said a majority of the Dreamworks CG films, but not Pixar.

I do find that their characters are too similar and they need to start being creative and actually giving their characters faces that look different from the next.

That's just something that happens a lot in animation (and in illustration in particular) whether its 2D or 3D. Look at Disney - you have the stock handsome male hero, stock beautiful princess/heroine etc. Same could be said for Bruce Timm's DC animations, especially the new DTVS they're making atm.

Very true. I guess i'm just sick of it overall.

The most overrated movie, has to be Boondock Saints.

The Wizard of Oz. Great movie, but definitely not the best film ever. It has great lookinf sets and such, but the wires popping in and out throw me off. I admit it is well written and has many interesting correlations between Oz and Dorothy's world, but I also don't think these were done so much better than other films with similar goals.

It's not that I don't think it isn't great, it is that I don't think it is the best film ever. Same with The Godfather. Great, but best ever? I liked 2 more.

The Third Man

Sheesh, this was so bland the cinematography is the only thing that I can see as to why it's held in such great value.

Kubrick's version of "The Shining". A dull cliche fest of a horror movie, boring and predictable (I think because Kubrick didn't know, or didn't care, about horror films), featuring a particularly bad performance from Jack Nicholson !

블라스;19202052 said:
You have to take a really long shower to wash off all the pretentiousness that sticks to you after being in this thread for more than a minute.

And you really need to stick to discussing the subject of the thread and not making dumb unnecessary comments about other posters because you disagree with them.

finding nemo
bugs life
wall-e
cars
monsters inc

movies that range from good (not great) to down right boring.

Once Upon A Time A In The West. Far too long, poor story telling, disjointed character relationships beyond Frank and Harmonica. It's sitting with a 98% rotten tomato score while For a Few Dollars more is sitting with 92%. For A Few Dollars More is a superior film and i'd argue it's also better than The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Napoleon dynamite - after all the hype at high school about it i watched about 10mins and thought it was garbage

After reading through the whole thread, i have to say that I'm surprised at many of the movies that were mentioned. For right now only 2 come to mind that i didn't previously see mentioned:

The Hurt Locker
Ichi the Killer

Own 1 and seen both. I can't see the genius in either. One seems way over the top(Certain scenes at least)[Ichi] and the other just doesn't seem to be as groundbreaking as all the critics say it was[Locker]. Way to much Praise IMO. That's all that comes to mind right now...

A thread exists for comic book movies, so I won't bring any of them here.

Star Wars original trilogy:
Nothing about this story grabs my attention and keeps it in touch.
The characters are bland and forgettable, minus Yoda coming out as annoying at first.
The story is a nice adventure, and some of the ideas are nice, but 'eh'.

The Matrix:
Look above.

Citizen Kane - good craft and well made film, skilled in all areas but its such hard work to watch.

Over rated films from last year:

Under the Skin
Wild
Inherent Vice
American Sniper
Foxcatcher

Over rated films from last year:

Under the Skin
Wild
Inherent Vice
American Sniper
Foxcatcher

Foxcatcher, seconded. It's such a bleak, depressing sadfest that I couldn't fathom giving it repeated viewings, even if I can't call it a bad movie.

Wall-E
Dredd
Finding Nemo
The Artist
American Sniper

And lastly, The Avengers. I actually love this film, don't get me wrong. I just hate how (some) fanboys and critics act like every superhero film should be exactly like it in terms of tone and story or else it's a failure. People always like to say that Nolanites are insane, but I've got news for you - Whedonites are just as bad.

Wall-E
Dredd
Finding Nemo
The Artist
American Sniper

And lastly, The Avengers. I actually love this film, don't get me wrong. I just hate how (some) fanboys and critics act like every superhero film should be exactly like it in terms of tone and story or else it's a failure. People always like to say that Nolanites are insane, but I've got news for you - Whedonites are just as bad.

I think that got so much love because it was so much less cartoony than the Sly version.

Yeah, I guess. I just didn't think it was that good of a movie. I mean, it's not that it was bad exactly, I just found it extremely mediocre. I see all this praise for it on the internet constantly and I'm just like, "Really? That's all it takes to impress you? Some average special effects and action, with Karl Urban doing a Clint Eastwood impression in a stupid looking helmet?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"