Pacific Rim 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will not be a sequel. Which is fine, it did not really need one.

What I was hoping was this would pave the way for some Robotech and Gundam movies. Now, sadly, that seems not to be the case.
I was really hoping for Evangelion :csad:

Cineplex has a pretty interesting promotion going on right now called SuperTicket. It allows you to both purchase a ticket for the movie at the theatre, as well as giving you a download for your digital devices. You think they'll do the same thing for Pacific Rim 2?

http://superticketcineplex.com/superticket

Damn shame, the international numbers will have to be very good for it to get a sequel now.

Damn shame, the international numbers will have to be very good for it to get a sequel now.
As much as I hate it, I don't see this getting a sequel at all.
Despite the hate some have for the medium, I'd love for Del Toro to find an anime company to produce a series for this. Maybe one set as a prequel, but I wouldn't mind it as a sequel if they had good reason for one.

As much as I hate it, I don't see this getting a sequel at all.
Despite the hate some have for the medium, I'd love for Del Toro to find an anime company to produce a series for this. Maybe one set as a prequel, but I wouldn't mind it as a sequel if they had good reason for one.

If we don't actually get another movie (it's looking very unlikely at this point), I think that would be the next best thing.

As for which company would do it, I think Production I.G. would be a good choice. They have experience with robots in anime (Evangelion, Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell) and they have this surreal way of animating in a way that it looks like live-action, but in animation. Everything and everybody moves and behaves in very realistic ways, and everything has this weight to it.

Id be down for a anime movie

If its all we are going to get, i'd take it, but I would so love for a sequel to happen properly.

‘Pacific Rim’ $9M Opening In China Biggest Ever For Warner Bros: Sequel Likely Now

Box Office Report: 'Pacific Rim' Scores Massive $45.2 Million China Debut
Pamela McClintock said:
The strong showing at the Chinese box office pushed the film's international total to $200.4 million and worldwide cume to $293.4 million.

It's still not clear whether Guillermo del Toro's film will break even, considering it cost at least $200 million to make, not factoring in a major marketing spend. Domestically, it has earned a tepid $92.3 million.

China boosts 'Pacific Rim' chances for sequel, points to Hollywood's future

Just saw Pacific Rim and it was really stupid. I understand you can't expect much from a high concept of giant robots vs. giant monsters, but did it really had to have so many cliches between fights? And so many obnoxious characters? What happened to the story, which I hear Guillermo talking about often, how important the story is in the mist of all the cg and ****.
I have loved del Toro's movies up until this movie. This is his worst one by far. Not saying the action wasn't entertaining and even scary, but the story was lame and so full of cliches.
So anyway, if sequel is made I hope it will be a better story and a better even acting-wise then this pile of kaiju crap, as they say.

On the side note tho, I'm sorry this did not do so well because the chances of ever seeing Guillermo del Toro's In The Mountains of Madness are now probably even slimmer. :(

With still less than $300 million worldwide, I don't see this sequel happening. WB should just focus on making more DC movies,

I wonder how all of this will play into WB's plans for Jupiter Ascending. It too is an original scifi film and looks even more out there than Pacific Rim. The Wachowski's have not had a financially successful movie in a decade. Will WB keep Jupiter Ascending in their prim July spot?

As long as that film has more traditional action conventions(such as well paced hand to hand sort of stuff as opposed to unconventional action such as this) and accessible hollywood stars, there is a chance it will do better money for WB than this.

With still less than $300 million worldwide, I don't see this sequel happening. WB should just focus on making more DC movies,

Its only just opened in China and Japan last week, it still has plenty of money to make in both of those territories.

Just saw Pacific Rim and it was really stupid. I understand you can't expect much from a high concept of giant robots vs. giant monsters, but did it really had to have so many cliches between fights? And so many obnoxious characters? What happened to the story, which I hear Guillermo talking about often, how important the story is in the mist of all the cg and ****.
I have loved del Toro's movies up until this movie. This is his worst one by far. Not saying the action wasn't entertaining and even scary, but the story was lame and so full of cliches.
So anyway, if sequel is made I hope it will be a better story and a better even acting-wise then this pile of kaiju crap, as they say.
Wait what? You can't expect much from giant robots vs giant monsters? I never saw things like Gundam but people say it's good, and i saw Evangelion which was really robots vs giant monsters and also a very inteligent series. :doh:

Two different Pacific Rim mashup shirts on sale at Teefury today.

WB won't be making anymore movies with Legendary.

If only they gave China a more substantial role in this film. This is such an interesting situation.

If they get a sequel, I am pretty curious what kinda creative cough executive decisions will come about going forward pertaining to china's role in particular.

Wait what? You can't expect much from giant robots vs giant monsters? I never saw things like Gundam but people say it's good, and i saw Evangelion which was really robots vs giant monsters and also a very inteligent series. :doh:

I was merely referring to Pacific Rim itself, which was marketed or at least talked like it's just some fun popcorn movie with no deeper meaning. And sure it had those popcorn moments, but you can make a movie like that without so many gringeworthy cliches. That's all. :p

If only they gave China a more substantial role in this film. This is such an interesting situation.

If they get a sequel, I am pretty curious what kinda creative cough executive decisions will come about going forward pertaining to china's role in particular.

Pacific Rim 2 starring Jackie Chan. Legend of the Drunken Jaeger Master.

The movie is also have very good drops domestically now, it made more than Red 2 on Wednesday despite not even having half the screens Red 2. The only problem is its losing screens pretty rapidly with all the new movies coming out.

It had a 40% drop last weekend, I expect the same this weekend. I think it would do even better if it managed to keep more screens but thats unlikely in a crowded summer. Its a shame, it seems WOM kicked in a little too late domestically for PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"