Pacific Rim - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
an oldschool first generation jaeger will save the whole world in the third act?

Last edited:
They've said its an old and obsolete one. My money is on that it is a Mark I, which we havent seen yet. And I dont think we will until in the movie.

Cool, will give us something to look forward too then, wonder why it succeeds were the others fail though?

kinda cliche.
I hope Del Torro grows out of being a 2 act director(for me personally).

the teaser posters for this seem to show its the head of gipsy danger.
so maybe that's the old jaeger?

the teaser posters for this seem to show its the head of gipsy danger.
so maybe that's the old jaeger?
Gipsy is Mark 3, so there's definitely at least 2 jaegers that's older than that one.
Maybe it's on the poster because it's the main one in the movie, until the third act where they take control of the older one.

Just saw this on the PPDC website, years of deployment of the different jaegers:

Coyote Tango: 2015 December 30
Gipsy Danger: 2017 July 10
Cherno Alpha: 2018 July 4
Crimson Typhoon: 2018 August 22
Striker Eureka: 2019 November 2

So it seems the Japaneese one is the first one, and seeing as the different years corresponds with the different generations of jaegers, we can guess that Tango is a Mark 1. (wich would make the two south american jaegers, which are Mark 2s, being first deployed in 2016.)

For all the anime and big robots stemming from Japan, their robot is very underwhelming and disappointing.

Really disappointed by how crazy cliched the story sounds but Guillermo isn't a master storyteller so I don't expect that to change. The visuals and action will be amazing though and i can't wait to see it

You know what other story is insanely cliched? Star Wars.

We know pretty much nothing about the characters in this film.

everything's cliched these days.
but if they can pull it off well, and its entertaining, that's the bottom line.

pacific rim pretty much sounds like every mech anime ever, but live action. cool mang.

You know what other story is insanely cliched? Star Wars.

We know pretty much nothing about the characters in this film.

Empire strikes bad wasn`t cliche. And jedi wasn`t that good....Then again, my Del Torrol will wow the audience in the same way Lucas did with his first gen effects..

The basic story line of the trilogy is the same old Hero's Journey story that has been told again and again.

What separates Star Wars, especially just in terms of A New Hope from something like Avatar is that Star Wars had identifiable, interesting characters with personality to populate its story. Pacific Rim will sink or swim on the same quality wise. Monewise it will probably do well either way.

Last edited:
Um...why does Australia have the biggest and best Jaeger? I mean, I live in Australia and we're not really known for the biggest and the most deadly (except natural predators).

That's really random. Why does Australia have the biggest Jaeger and not say, Nepal or Bratislava or some other random country? Or was I just reading that the Eureka Jaeger is the biggest and best because I happened to read the news on an Australian tabloid website?

Because countries that are not on the Pacific really are not impacted as much. There is a reason it's called Pacific Rim, and there is a reason why the monsters attack these countries on the coast of the Pacific. That and why would some economically poor countries like Nepal have resources to make a Jaeger anyways?

Japan's Jaeger is older than the rest by a number of years. Perhaps, Australia's is the newest? Also keep in mind that the Jaegers are designed to fight in differen environments. Del Toro has mentioned that each of the major battles takes place in a completely different setting, sky, land whatever.

Yes, Striker Eureka (Aussie) is the newest Jaeger. Each Jaeger can cover its country, but also neighbors in some cases.

The New Zealand Jaeger will look like a Hobbit mate with a sheep :)

Um...why does Australia have the biggest and best Jaeger? I mean, I live in Australia and we're not really known for the biggest and the most deadly (except natural predators).

That's really random. Why does Australia have the biggest Jaeger and not say, Nepal or Bratislava or some other random country? Or was I just reading that the Eureka Jaeger is the biggest and best because I happened to read the news on an Australian tabloid website?

Maybe it's the newest and most advanced one?

edit - must reed moar

You Aussies and your big ash robots.

I heard that the jaeger for the british will be called...

mick.

The story sounds just as great as cliché. There is an over-abundance of "cliché" complaints and hate these days. If it works, it works, cliché or not. It's all about context and execution for me.

Because countries that are not on the Pacific really are not impacted as much. There is a reason it's called Pacific Rim, and there is a reason why the monsters attack these countries on the coast of the Pacific. That and why would some economically poor countries like Nepal have resources to make a Jaeger anyways?

Oh okay that kind of makes sense

I want to see the British, German and French Jaeger

Yay me too!

dalek20poster.png

I heard that the jaeger for the british will be called...

mick.

and will be powered by a good drop of tea :woot:

The story sounds just as great as cliché. There is an over-abundance of "cliché" complaints and hate these days. If it works, it works, cliché or not. It's all about context and execution for me.

Nah it's not cliche if it's a love letter to the genre. The Cabin in the Woods isn't cliche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"