Paramount Pictures developing Sonic the Hedgehog movie

I'm not too sure why you guys have your hopes so high for this movie.

As far as I know there's only been heresy and rumors about the movie. There hasn't been a press release, or even a green light.

It's essentially vaporware stuck in Development Hell.

Even though Sonic has a loyal but cultish following (the Archie comics is the only thing that makes Sonic relevant, along with Super Smash Bros.) but it's not enough to make a studio go 'Oh let's make a movie!'

Sonic has been rebooted several times right, in the video game world, and they've all bombed. He's in a troubling place now, especially with the failure of the last game, which had a synergetic marketing with the animated series. Is Sonic Boom even on the air?

If they were to make a movie, Sega needs to rethink the character too. They've been failing him even though he found success with Sonic Generations.

And I'm not trying to rip on Sonic. I grew up on Sonic as well.

The problem is that Sega has dropped the ball on him so many times, that it's almost baffling. I don't understand what Sega is doing, or their mindset.

Some people geek out over Star Wars, others Batman nerds, and some obsess over Transformers or Harry Potter. Sonic the Hedgehog just happens to be my thing. The mix of over-the-top action, edgy music, good storytelling, and cartoonish characters has always appealed to me.

I know recent games haven't done too well with critics, but bear in mind, this isn't a game. It's a movie. It'll be a narrative, not an interactive experience. Sonic as a animated character, has always been successful. And there have been a lot of great stories told with the character, like the events of Sonic 3, the Adventure series, Unleashed, and more. Boom just got picked up for a 2nd season, and the toyline is doing well. In the US, the Sonic amiibo is one of the top-sellers, beating out the Mario one!

A Sonic movie (If handled right) could be spectacular. IMO, they need to bring back an edgy feel to the series. It's been far too silly in recent years. Market it as a legit action film like the recent TMNT movie. Make Eggman a legitimate villain, go crazy with action sequences, and have a videogame-ish score (Daft Punk would be awesome, just listen to the music of Tron Legacy) it would be a massive hit.

Last edited:
(Sorry about the paragraphs being jumbled together in my last post. My mobile phone doesn't work too well on this site..)

I may be setting my hopes way too high for this, but I think there's serious potential for a hit movie here. (But then again, there's many ways they could screw this up..)

Last edited:
Some people geek out over Star Wars, others Batman nerds, and some obsess over Transformers or Harry Potter. Sonic the Hedgehog just happens to be my thing. The mix of over-the-top action, edgy music, good storytelling, and cartoonish characters has always appealed to me. I know recent games haven't done too well with critics, but bear in mind, this isn't a game. It's a movie. It'll be a narrative, not an interactive experience. Sonic as a animated character, has always been successful. And there have been a lot of great stories told with the character, like the events of Sonic 3, the Adventure series, Unleashed, and more. Boom just got picked up for a 2nd season, and the toyline is doing well. In the US, the Sonic amiibo is one of the top-sellers, beating out the Mario one! A Sonic movie (If handled right) could be spectacular. IMO, they need to bring back an edgy feel to the series. It's been far too silly in recent years. Market it as a legit action film like the recent TMNT movie. Make Eggman a legitimate villain, go crazy with action sequences, and have a videogame-ish score (Daft Punk would be awesome, just listen to the music of Tron Legacy) it would be a massive hit.
You just described EVERYTHING that I want this film to be. And people love to hate on Sonic and act like he's fading, but the truth is, he is and always will be one of the iconic faces of gaming. He's never going to disappear.

Word. *fistbump*
giphy.gif

Some people geek out over Star Wars, others Batman nerds, and some obsess over Transformers or Harry Potter. Sonic the Hedgehog just happens to be my thing. The mix of over-the-top action, edgy music, good storytelling, and cartoonish characters has always appealed to me. I know recent games haven't done too well with critics, but bear in mind, this isn't a game. It's a movie. It'll be a narrative, not an interactive experience. Sonic as a animated character, has always been successful. And there have been a lot of great stories told with the character, like the events of Sonic 3, the Adventure series, Unleashed, and more. Boom just got picked up for a 2nd season, and the toyline is doing well. In the US, the Sonic amiibo is one of the top-sellers, beating out the Mario one! A Sonic movie (If handled right) could be spectacular. IMO, they need to bring back an edgy feel to the series. It's been far too silly in recent years. Market it as a legit action film like the recent TMNT movie. Make Eggman a legitimate villain, go crazy with action sequences, and have a videogame-ish score (Daft Punk would be awesome, just listen to the music of Tron Legacy) it would be a massive hit.

Well, I'm gonna eat crow! (Falls into spiked pit)

Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Dated for 2018!

In summer 2014, Sony Pictures Entertainment and SEGA SAMMY Group’s animation wing, Marza Animation Planet, announced a partnership to develop a film based on the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise. Now, a new interview with SEGA CEO Hajime Satomi at Worldfolio (via io9) confirms that the project is not only still in the wings but on a fast-paced trajectory for a 2018 opening.

“Sega Sammy Group is currently planning with Sony Pictures to create
image: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1.png

a live-action and animation hybrid ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie scheduled for release in 2018,” Satomi confirmed. “Like with this CG animation production, we would like to expand our business into other entertainment areas beyond what we are currently involved.”

The film will look to capture Sonic’’s irreverent tone and spirit, reuniting him with some of the most revered and infamous characters of the franchise, including the evil Dr. Eggman. Playful, mischievous, and quick on his feet in more ways than one, the world’’s fastest hedgehog is known for his ability to move at supersonic speed to protect his friends from their enemies. For more than two decades, Sonic has been one of the world’’s biggest gaming icons and a $1 billion franchise with more than 140 million games sold.

Sonic previously headline several animated series starting with 1993’s “Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog” as well as making an authorized cameo appearance in the Disney hit Wreck-It Ralph.

A hybrid CG-animated/live-action feature, the movie will be written by Evan Susser and Van Robichaux and produced by Neal H. Moritz through his Original Film banner, along with Marza’s Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher will serve as an executive producer.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/655661-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-dated-for-2018

You just described EVERYTHING that I want this film to be. And people love to hate on Sonic and act like he's fading, but the truth is, he is and always will be one of the iconic faces of gaming. He's never going to disappear.

Damn you all!!! (dies)

Ah dammit they're calling Robotnik Dr. Eggman!!!

I'll wait and see about this one.

I assume Eggman will be a live action character. Who will you fan cast?

Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Dated for 2018!

Sonic the Hedgehog movie dated for 2018!

In summer 2014, Sony Pictures Entertainment and SEGA SAMMY Group’s animation wing, Marza Animation Planet, announced a partnership to develop a film based on the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise. Now, a new interview with SEGA CEO Hajime Satomi at Worldfolio (via io9) confirms that the project is not only still in the wings but on a fast-paced trajectory for a 2018 opening.

“Sega Sammy Group is currently planning with Sony Pictures to create a live-action and animation hybrid ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie scheduled for release in 2018,” Satomi confirmed. “Like with this CG animation production, we would like to expand our business into other entertainment areas beyond what we are currently involved.”

The film will look to capture Sonic’’s irreverent tone and spirit, reuniting him with some of the most revered and infamous characters of the franchise, including the evil Dr. Eggman. Playful, mischievous, and quick on his feet in more ways than one, the world’’s fastest hedgehog is known for his ability to move at supersonic speed to protect his friends from their enemies. For more than two decades, Sonic has been one of the world’’s biggest gaming icons and a $1 billion franchise with more than 140 million games sold.

Sonic previously headline several animated series starting with 1993’s “Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog” as well as making an authorized cameo appearance in the Disney hit Wreck-It Ralph (see gallery below).

A hybrid CG-animated/live-action feature, the movie will be written by Evan Susser and Van Robichaux and produced by Neal H. Moritz through his Original Film banner, along with Marza’s Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher will serve as an executive producer.

Makes me think Pokemon could happen one day.

Screen test for the new movie

tumblr_o3j2rpmR9E1u5cb23o1_400.gif

:oldrazz:

He's the Eggman!

I don't have high hopes for this cause Sonic has the worst luck.

I prefer Eggman to Robotnik. I hope if they make a film, they go with the non "tude" filled Sonic and they go with something a little more classic.

An adaptation of the first Sonic Adventure game (minus Big) would be perfect, imo.

my inner geek is disappointed they went with "Eggman" over "Robotnik" :(
Good to hear it finally has a release date planned

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"