Paramount's Bob Marley

Boseman might want this so he can add another notch to his biopic belt.

My guess is... he will be played by Chadwick Boseman.

I immediately thought Donald Glover for Bob Marley

I'd have to put a respectful no on that one. :funny: I assume they'll either cast one of his lesser-known descendants or go for local relatively unknown talent.

I was actually just thinking about when we'd get the inevitable Bob Marley biopic; at least Ziggy Marley is directly involved, so it should be good as an homage piece, however they decide to tell the story.

None of the people being mentioned to play him on this thread so far look anything like him. Do you think if you're a black male actor that's the only requirement to play him? Seriously wondering on this.

None of the people being mentioned to play him on this thread so far look anything like him. Do you think if you're a black male actor that's the only requirement to play him? Seriously wondering on this.
Did you see us cast Chris Tucker, Will Smith, or someone too old for the part just for being black?

Chadwick Boseman played a couple of biopics before landing on the role, and then he played a third biopic, I'm so certain he looks like every guy he played.
Oh wait, I'm sure every biopic star looks like a clone of the person they portrayed.

Yes!

DismalDelayedIbis-max-1mb.gif

I was half kidding about Boseman because he's already played Jackie Robinson, James Brown and Thurgood Marshall, but I wouldn't mind seeing him play the part based on his acting skills. But he also looked nothing like Thurgood Marshall in that film so looks alone aren't everything.

Chadwick-Boseman_Thurgood-Marshall_Marshall.jpg

Resemblance is somewhat important in a biopic, but I'd prefer a great performance over an actor looking exactly like the person. Reese Witherspoon looked nothing like June Carter in Walk the Line, but she still gave a great performance.

I wonder if there are any Jamaican actors of a high enough caliber of talent. Would be better than someone else trying to that accent.

I'm sure there are, and I suspect that's the route they'll go insofar as casting is concerned. (Granted, they could end up getting someone from the UK; there are a lot of Jamaicans there.)

‘Scream’ Sequel & Bob Marley Biopic Theatrical Release Dates Set By Paramount
Paramount has dated Spyglass Media’s Scream sequel for March 31, 2023 and its untitled Bob Marley movie starring Kingsley Ben-Adir as the reggae legend for Jan. 12, 2024.

King Richard helmer Reinaldo Marcus Green is directing the Bob Marley movie with Ziggy Marley, Rita Marley and Cedella Marley producing on behalf of Tuff Gong, Robert Teitel also producing and a screenplay from Zach Baylin, Frank E. Flowers and Terence Winter.

Currently there aren’t any major studio releases dated on March 31 next year. Jan. 12, 2024 is the MLK holiday frame and there aren’t any other wide entries from rivals scheduled on that date yet.

Legendary singer biopics proved to be events at the box office before the pandemic with 2018’s Bohemian Rhapsody which grossed closed to $911M WW and Paramount’s Rocketman which made over $195M WW during the summer of 2019.

Had no idea this was being worked on I should check out the James brown movie at some point I have not seen it.

I think Kingsley Ben-Adir and Lashana Lynch are going to kill it in this. As a lifelong Marley fan I'm definitely going to check this out but my only question is why release a trailer now if this isn't out until January? This would probably do well in a Fall spot.

Recent musical biopics haven’t done so well at the BO; Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston. Curious to see if January is a better month for it so it doesn’t get swept up with all the other films.

Looks alright. I have to check it out.
He doesn’t sound that much like BM to me but the look is definitely similar. Well worth the watch, if nothing else I’ll be very happy just humming/singing the songs throughout the film. :yay:

Now that was a much better trailer. Big thumbs up. Really like that one and had even ha goose bumps at some point. A lot more of an engaging story. Redemption Song, Three Little Birds… gotta love it.

Last edited:
Was projected around 35 for the six-day stretch from Valentine’s Day to President’s Day. Did a wee bit better…

I’ll be honest, this kind of seemed like it was being dumped along with the bad reviews, but it seemed to really click with audiences. At least opening big weekend.
This does seem to be a critic-proof movie given how many people love Marley. I'm definitely going to see it but probably not in theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"