Parts I and II (Spoiler Thread)

Oof, there were a lot of rough spots here. I want to assume that the Grand Inquisitor thing is a fake-out, but there was also a shot of his lifeless corpse as Reva stormed away. It seemed like they were emphasizing "no, he's dead". But it's Star Wars, and characters have survived far worse through far flimsier explanations. I can't imagine they would strike out a large chunk of Rebels for... that. But, who knows anymore. As a fake-out, it's just confusing. The audience has not been given a reason to care about him. He hasn't done anything memorable, he's just monologued a bit and been snippy with Reva. So if he comes back in the next episode with a metal plate in his chest, the audience is just going to collectively shrug their shoulders. All that would serve to do is undermine Reva, who appears to be the main antagonist outside of Vader. I dunno, it's just a weird choice with so little benefit to me.

As I've seen others mention, the writing and acting in this was also really sloppy. Tons of awkward dialogue delivered in really stilted, uneven performances. Flea had way too many lines, they should have cut that in half. Reva was an odd performance, but I can kinda see where they were going with her. There's an undercurrent of desperation behind everything she does, so even when she has a lightsaber to Owen's throat, or is stalking Obi-Wan around those shipping crates, she never really seems in control. She's trying to be the big tough scary Inquisitor, but she can never quite pull it off because she's too focused on gaining Vader's respect at all costs. Almost like a child seeking her parent's approval. To be honest, I don't know if all of that was their intent, but that's the best explanation I can derive for her mannerisms.

In the positives, I will always love Ewan as Obi-Wan, and here is no exception. Just like in the prequels, he carries this thing on his back even when he's trudging through ****. I liked Edgerton as Owen, and I think he conveyed Owen's desperate need to protect Luke very well. He's faced with this damn Jedi, who he knows has already failed once and who just won't leave his family alone, and he's beyond anger at this point. He just wants him gone. That level of frustration and resentment isn't always an easy thing to convey. I did like little Leia. My first impression was "wow, they are making this kid sound like she's 10 years older than she is", but then Obi-Wan explicitly called that out, and I was on board.

Overall, a rough start. But I'm interested to see where things go, and I'll stick around for Ewan at the very least.

Last edited:
Valid criticism is fine, but my words were aimed mainly at the people who have already written her off as not having a great story as if there's not 4 episodes left, but we'll see how it goes. Maybe some people are right and she'll end up being the worst part of the show. It doesn't matter much in the end though because once Vader shows up, and him and obi wan clash, most people will forgive it anyway.
That's fair.

I dont understand why fans need to take it to such a level, it's uncalled for. Yeah, i know people have their expectations and likes, but not enjoying a performance doesnt mean you need to attack the person who gave it. I never understood it during the PT, nor did i understand the need for that during the sequels, which i didnt enjoy at all btw but i just never felt the need to enter a bashing game, and i most certainly dont understand it now.
A lot of these people aren't actual fans. But for those that are, they're just terrible people, who happen to be Star Wars fans.

I bet you're right. They're just repeating Trilla's story from Fallen Order.
There is a lot of repetition with the Jedi in this era, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Reva's parkour was hilariously bad. This show isn't starting off good. Kenobi letting his powers fade makes no sense since he is supposed to be protecting Luke. He could still meditate to keep up his power. You didn't see Yoda do any training except meditating. So everyone knows Darth Vader is Anakin? I thought this was a secret to most people and everyone only knew him as Darth Vader.

When you think about it, it makes sense that those dealing with Jedi hunting or the high ranking officers would have knowledge of it. Former Jedi or students who chose the dark side.

Oof, there were a lot of rough spots here. I want to assume that the Grand Inquisitor thing is a fake-out, but there was also a shot of his lifeless corpse as Reva stormed away. It seemed like they were emphasizing "no, he's dead". But it's Star Wars, and characters have survived far worse through far flimsier explanations. I can't imagine they would strike out a large chunk of Rebels for... that. But, who knows anymore. As a fake-out, it's just confusing. The audience has not been given a reason to care about him. He hasn't done anything memorable, he's just monologued a bit and been snippy with Reva. So if he comes back in the next episode with a metal plate in his chest, the audience is just going to collectively shrug their shoulders. All that would serve to do is undermine Reva, who appears to be the main antagonist outside of Vader. I dunno, it's just a weird choice with so little benefit to me.

As I've seen others mention, the writing and acting in this was also really sloppy. Tons of awkward dialogue delivered in really stilted, uneven performances. Flea had way too many lines, they should have cut that in half. Reva was an odd performance, but I can kinda see where they were going with her. There's an undercurrent of desperation behind everything she does, so even when she has a lightsaber to Owen's throat, or is stalking Obi-Wan around those shipping crates, she never really seems in control. She's trying to be the big tough scary Inquisitor, but she can never quite pull it off because she's too focused on gaining Vader's respect at all costs. Almost like a child seeking her parent's approval. To be honest, I don't know if all of that was their intent, but that's the best explanation I can derive for her mannerisms.

In the positives, I will always love Ewan as Obi-Wan, and here is no exception. Just like in the prequels, he carries this thing on his back even when he's trudging through ****. I liked Edgerton as Owen, and I think he conveyed Owen's desperate need to protect Luke very well. He's faced with this damn Jedi, who he knows has already failed once and who just won't leave his family alone, and he's beyond anger at this point. He just wants him gone. That level of frustration and resentment isn't always an easy thing to convey. I did like little Leia. My first impression was "wow, they are making this kid sound like she's 10 years older than she is", but then Obi-Wan explicitly called that out, and I was on board.

Overall, a rough start. But I'm interested to see where things go, and I'll stick around for Ewan at the very least.
Ewan and Joel did feel like they were in a different, perhaps more well made couple of episodes. I'm sad they took him off planet, when they were killing it.

And yeah, I agree about the worry with the GI. It just doesn't make sense that he isn't dead. Which is why I think @Snow Queen might be right, and he'll be "dead" and in 3 years, we'll get the novel that explains he's just fine.

Ewan and Joel did feel like they were in a different, perhaps more well made couple of episodes. I'm sad they took him off planet, when they were killing it.

And yeah, I agree about the worry with the GI. It just doesn't make sense that he isn't dead. Which is why I think @Snow Queen might be right, and he'll be "dead" and in 3 years, we'll get the novel that explains he's just fine.

And how the Empire also fixed his head. :D

Also, Anakin was called Lord/Darth Vader DURING the Order 66 and before the suit

For like less than a day. How many people would have access to those recordings from the Jedi temple or Palpatine's office?

The Grand Inquisitor thing is almost certainly a bait and switch. The existence of Dave Filoni as a person of influence within Lucasfilm’s live action projects is reason enough to think that.

Other than that, the darker tone and the prequel nostalgia has sustained me. It’s an acceptable couple of episodes.
Calling it now, GI kills Reva

When you think about it, it makes sense that those dealing with Jedi hunting or the high ranking officers would have knowledge of it. Former Jedi or students who chose the dark side.
It could be a selling point to convince them to work for him: former jedi Anakin Skywalker is now Vader. Knowing the fame he had, it's an inticing if not frightening reason to join them. Having to deal with the Empire AND Anakin might be intimidating enough to convince them to just give in.

The Leia and Han relationships really feels icky when you realize this show and Solo more or less take place at the same time.

Yeah, in theory I can see the narrative utility of it (ignoring for a moment the lack of canon), but the problem is they never did anything to sell him as a notable character here. For two episodes, Reva constantly undermines him with little in the way of pushback. He looks like an incompetent leader, so it does nothing to sell her as a more dangerous villain - leaving aside anything else around the character failing that point.

I am all but a casual fan of Star Wars, but I was thoroughly entertained by these first two episodes.

I'm definitely coming back next week.

I love the Kenobi and the Leia of it all. Everything having to do with that plot-line is great. The Inquisitors are legit bad tho.

I saw someone describe them as Team Rocket, so I’ll try to keep that in mind, and maybe it’ll make them more bearable.

I love the Kenobi and the Leia of it all. Everything having to do with that plot-line is great. The Inquisitors are legit bad tho.

I saw someone describe them as Team Rocket, so I’ll try to keep that in mind, and maybe it’ll make them more bearable.

The inquisitors here are somehow more cartoony than the inquisitors in SW Rebels, a cartoon.

I really dig this show so far! This already so much better than Boba Fett which was a complete bore before Mando came in. Not quite on Mandalorian's level (yet) but I think this is off to a strong start. The pacing was a bit wonky in some spots though.

It's not perfect but I'm enjoying the show so far. Ewan is awesome.

Okay, time to scrap everything else. Shift all production resources to Organa family sitcom, starring little Leia.

I enjoyed these episodes. The first one, the more slower one was better sure, but I loved both of them. Ewan is amazing, obviously. But I greatly enjoyed Smits, Edgarton, Breha and little Leia's actors. The Inquisitors were fine, just about as cartoonish as they were in the show.

The Inquisitor getting stabbed doesn't bother me. A way to write him out for the rest of the show, which is sad, sure. But given what has been survived in Star Wars, not too bothered it will affect canon. Honestly, the canon thing that bugs me is Bail thinking of Obi-wan to save Leia. Sure, some of what I'm thinking of is "lesser" canon, thus not mainly thought of. Sure, Ahsoka is off doing her Fulcrum thing. And Sabe and her Amidalans may not be the best idea. Still, only Obi-wan bothers me when I know he had contacts to those that would be just as trustworthy. Even with the potential secret of Leia's parentage. But, this is the type of thing that makes for fun supplementary canon material.

I will say, this does have some fun effect on canon. Much like how Rogue One added a bit of Leia being the boldest liar in the galaxy, I kind of like how Leia meeting Obi-wan here, and with how she interacted with him here. She knew he knew her. But she reminds him of who she is and who her father is because SHE THINKS HE IS OLD AND SLOW. The whole message is full of Leia sass!!!!

I wonder if Disney regrets including this scene with what happened in Texas...

I'm surprised they didn't delay the premiere or do a last minute edit of some sort.
Just a warning would’ve been appropriate, I think. I’m kind of shocked they didn’t do one, because this seemed FAR more reminiscient than the Stranger Things episode.

WOW
…is all I can say now
what a time to be alive

I will say, I don't know whether I am beginning to get used to the stagecraft tech, or it was just used badly, but I am definitely beginning to see where the edges of the set are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"