Picard Star Trek: Picard - General Discussion Thread

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
He has... made it so.
h1tUS9m.jpg

It’s really truly happening: Patrick Stewart has been cast in a new Star Trek series.

Stewart will reprise his iconic character, Jean-Luc Picard, for a CBS All Access series that “will tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life.”

Stewart himself just announced the news in a surprise appearance at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention.

“I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”

Stewart added that now, in particular, seems like a good time to bring back the character, who exemplified calm, moral, reasoned leadership. “During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership,” he said. “I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.

Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will be an executive producer on the new series, and stated, “With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old.”

CBS isn’t releasing any additional information at this time, such as the show’s title or release date. But Star Trek: Discovery returns in January.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/08/04/patrick-stewart-star-trek-next-generation-new-series/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Last edited:
My favourite Captain. I didn't get around to watching Discovery but I'm onboard for this one.

Even with Kurtzman's involvement, if it feels more like TNG and not like Discovery, excellent.

I grew up in the Shatner/Kirk era but Patrick Stewart's Jean-Luc Picard is my favourite Star Trek captain of them all. Nice to hear he's returning to it - hope the show does him justice.

I just learned about this and I don't know what to think.

It's weird, but cool. Heck, maybe it shouldn't be weird at all considering every franchise has something coming back in some form now.

I'm glad we're finally getting something in live-action that focuses on the post-Nemesis era, and Jean-Luc Picard is always welcomed to me. It's interesting that he'll seemingly be the lead of the show again. I'm expecting a brand new crew to join him, but I'll bet somebody like Geordie or Beverly will be on the cards to some extent. Data/B4 is probably out considering the ageless factor, but who knows what reasoning they could come up with to get another fan favourite involved.

I'm interested. Hopefully it joins DISCO and all the other ST on Netflix, for us international viewers.

It's weird, but cool. Heck, maybe it shouldn't be weird at all considering every franchise has something coming back in some form now.

I'm glad we're finally getting something in live-action that focuses on the post-Nemesis era, and Jean-Luc Picard is always welcomed to me. It's interesting that he'll seemingly be the lead of the show again. I'm expecting a brand new crew to join him, but I'll bet somebody like Geordie or Beverly will be on the cards to some extent. Data/B4 is probably out considering the ageless factor, but who knows what reasoning they could come up with to get another fan favourite involved.

I'm interested. Hopefully it joins DISCO and all the other ST on Netflix, for us international viewers.

I'm hopeful for the return of Riker. Admiral Riker has a nice ring to it. :cwink:

Will be great to see him back.

Maybe Frakes would even do some directing duties :yay:

I suspect he'll direct one or two episodes. It wouldn't surprise me if LeVar Burton and Robert Duncan McNeill both direct an episode each.

Oh there's no way we don't see the crew in varying capacities.

Picard could assemble a rag-tag crew made up of characters from the other ST series for 'one last hurrah'! This could be the equivalent of The Expendables - in space! :yay:

I wonder if they'll show the Destruction of Romulus in the show?

I would assume this is taking place in a post Nemesis continuity so dealing somewhat with that film's fallout would make sense to me. Plus, as good as Sir Patrick looks for his age there has to be some time elapsed since we last saw him aboard the Enterprise. So many things could have occurred in that time.

For myself... I am leaning towards a more character based show rather than spectacle. I don't need Sir Patrick out on the front lines. If anything I think Picard's best destiny post his Enterprise assignment would be to become an instructor or even head of the Star Fleet Academy. Have it be a series where Picard shapes the, uh... Next generation of officers with his wisdom and morality. You can weave some kind of larger story through it, say... Dealing with Romulan refugees or some larger challenge to the Federation but keep it at the Academy for the most part. I don't know... I'm just spit balling right now.

It totally will. Its probably part of the reason why STD and ST in general is renewed/getting expanded.

Picard could assemble a rag-tag crew made up of characters from the other ST series for 'one last hurrah'! This could be the equivalent of The Expendables - in space! :yay:

Come to think of it, didn't Stewart pitch something like that in an interview a while ago? Somebody asked him what it would take for him to put on the uniform again, and he said it'd be fun if they got all the crews from each show involved.

If they could give me a scene with aged Janeway and Picard that would be dope. Hell... Have Sisco emerge from a worm hole too while we're at it. Why not? Go nuts I say.

If they could give me a scene with aged Janeway and Picard that would be dope. Hell... Have Sisco emerge from a worm hole too while we're at it. Why not? Go nuts I say.

Absolutely!

I'd love to see characters like Janeway return in guest appearances. As much as I love Sisko, I don't know if Avery Brooks would return. He has pretty much retired and I don't see him wanting to reprise the role.

That said, there are so many other characters from DS9 and Voyers I'd like to see again, like Quark, Tom Paris, Kira, O'Brien, Nog and Chakotay.

Heck, let's see Wesley Crusher again. There truly are so many possibilities for this new show.

I was reading comments on this story someplace else online and someone brought up an interesting idea... Picard gets embroiled in a story that involves Section 31.

That's... Intriguing as an idea. Not sure that's where they would go but it's certainly something that could challenge Picard's morality and provides loads of chances for interesting stories.

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that the future timeline of All Good Things took place 25 years after that shows present. That aired in 1994, so by the time this show comes next year...

I can definitely see Janeway showing up.

I was reading comments on this story someplace else online and someone brought up an interesting idea... Picard gets embroiled in a story that involves Section 31.

That's... Intriguing as an idea. Not sure that's where they would go but it's certainly something that could challenge Picard's morality and provides loads of chances for interesting stories.

That's a great idea.

More superficially speaking, I'm excited about seeing new uniforms and perhaps even a new Enterprise. The Enterprise-E has always been my favourite version, and has made far too few live-action appearances, so would be nice for her to show up in some capacity, too.

At the very least the fallout of its destruction should play a significant role a few episodes, since it happened about 10 years after Nemesis. I'd also love to see the Gamma quadrant and the systems near DS9, it'd be nice to see how things played out after the Dominion war, there are a lot of threads from TNG, DS9, Voy, and the first Abrams film for this series to use.

Last edited:
Oh it’s a new series is it? I thought he was going to cameo on Star Trek discovery? How lovely

People are genuinely more excited about Star Trek these days than Star Wars :up:

I would assume this is taking place in a post Nemesis continuity so dealing somewhat with that film's fallout would make sense to me. Plus, as good as Sir Patrick looks for his age there has to be some time elapsed since we last saw him aboard the Enterprise. So many things could have occurred in that time.

For myself... I am leaning towards a more character based show rather than spectacle. I don't need Sir Patrick out on the front lines. If anything I think Picard's best destiny post his Enterprise assignment would be to become an instructor or even head of the Star Fleet Academy. Have it be a series where Picard shapes the, uh... Next generation of officers with his wisdom and morality. You can weave some kind of larger story through it, say... Dealing with Romulan refugees or some larger challenge to the Federation but keep it at the Academy for the most part. I don't know... I'm just spit balling right now.

Sir Pat did an excellent job of portraying Xavier as a man dealing with old age and the natural entropy it brings. I’d be extremely pleased if they also dealt with that issue with Picard.

We don’t need photon torpedoes and make it so, anymore. We need a show about an aging legend coping with a world that is moving on from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"