The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Paul Giamatti IS Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd probably find a way to develop a split personality and continue complaining about his own movies.
For as much as you follow me around on here, I will hire you to be an assistant or something.

Starbucks grande Caramel frap no whip with cinnamon.

I'll get that coffee... but I won't like it. Might even spit in it.

well, you like the first two spider-man movies more than the avengers and the dark knight (heck, better than any other comic book movie), so maybe you were always gonna feel this way.

Fine. I'm biased. Despite the fact that Spider-Man 3 is nowhere to be found on my favorites list, I'm biased for everything that has to do with Raimi. Yup. Of course.

I've never liked Paul Giamatti. Whether you think it's because of this movie or not is entirely up to you, I suppose. We all have different tastes, and that's fine.

I just don't see why loving the first 2 Spider-Man films seems to be a problem. :huh: People preferring the Webb movies isn't a problem for me. We all like what we like, and we all dislike what we dislike.

(And yes, I love the first two Spider-Man movies more than The Avengers and The Dark Knight. Get over it. All 4 of these movies are in my top 5, so I obviously love all of them.)

Not entirely. Giamatti loves the character. Even if he only plays him for 15-20 minutes, I'm sure he'll be happy. Besides, the less villains the better, right?

This is only assuming though, so I'll take that with a grain of salt that he'd be happy just to be in some cameo.

But as a fan's perspective, I would not be happy to see such a great actor being used that way.

I would hire SpideyMarvelitte to be a character only to have him cut from the movie.

Greatest. Idea. Ever.

Fine. I'm biased. Despite the fact that Spider-Man 3 is nowhere to be found on my favorites list, I'm biased for everything that has to do with Raimi. Yup. Of course.

I've never liked Paul Giamatti. Whether you think it's because of this movie or not is entirely up to you, I suppose. We all have different tastes, and that's fine.

I just don't see why loving the first 2 Spider-Man films seems to be a problem. :huh: People preferring the Webb movies isn't a problem for me. We all like what we like, and we all dislike what we dislike.

(And yes, I love the first two Spider-Man movies more than The Avengers and The Dark Knight. Get over it. All 4 of these movies are in my top 5, so I obviously love all of them.)
I love both the first two Raimi films AND TASM... but I kinda agree, I like SM1 & SM2 more than the Avengers and TDK (or at least just SM2). People look at me like something is wrong, but I think they are fantastic movies.

I'm hoping they use more practical effects for him as Rhino, it will be better than CGI

It's not but haters gonna hate.

And judging from the new synopsis and the confirmation of Paul Giamatti as Rhino, we're going to see a lot more of it.

lol. You have an opinion that doesn't line up with the fanboys who instantly lap up everything they're given- therefore, you are a hater.

Read my explanation on pg.28 as to why Rhino actually IS more ridiculous than the Lizard.

I'm so tired of the lazy "It's just a comic book movie, anything goes" response. It's so lazy and negates the need for thinking about anything. If that were truly the case, then you guys should, by all rights have no problem with Batman & Robin.

I'm so tired of the lazy "It's just a comic book movie, anything goes" response. It's so lazy and negates the need for thinking about anything.
Someone had to say it
If that were truly the case, then you guys should, by all rights have no problem with Batman & Robin.
I have only 3 problems with Batman & Robin, and none of them is the story
Think of other comic book movies, like the animated Iron Man film, Superman IV or Punisher War Zone, those are pretty messed up

Honestly, IMO:

I totally get what Vid Electricz is saying about Rhino and I definitely see the point.

But I'm just happy to get those cool villains on the big screen. I'm sure Webb will work it out.

Honestly, IMO:

I totally get what Vid Electricz is saying about Rhino and I definitely see the point.

But I'm just happy to get those cool villains on the big screen. I'm sure Webb will work it out.

I want nothing more than for TASM2 to be a great movie, it's just baffling to me sometimes, the choices that the studio/writers seem to make.

I went on a bike ride and the conversation has veered away from me and my points... But I just want to say, about Clayface, because I have actually given this thought. The original Clayface was a B-movie actor. Why not just make his "clayface" pseudonym based on an obsessive compulsion for plastic surgery making his crime sprees virtually untraceable? With Killer Croc, a homicidal cannibal with Harlequin-type ichthyosis and a PCP addiction. Just like burning Dent's face was more believable than acid, and a pain med dependency fit better than Bane's venom strength serum.

Seriously. Just open your mind to the possibilities and I guarantee there's not only an answer for each one, but a CORRECT answer for each one.

Maybe The Rhino won't have a horn. Maybe he will just bear a passing resemblance to a Rhinoceros and Spider-Man just won't let Alex live it down. Or rather, he will have blades protrude from all over his mechanical suit, including his head leading to the same conclusion.

It's not about having an open mind, it's about understanding that there comes a certain point in re-writing and revising and changing the characters backstory so much that they barely resemble the character they're supposed to be aside from their name- Which begs the question of: if you have to twist and contort a character so much to fit within the confines of your story, why not just use a brand new character?

Making those changes to characters like Clayface or Killer Croc robs them of what makes them unique in the first place for the sake of shoe-horning and forcing them into a story they don't belong in.

Love the Rhino, love Giamatti. This was indeed a surprise, but I'm curious to see where this would go. I have to say though, his enthusiasm is really refreshing.

My only concern is what version they're going to use. No the the genetic mash up idea.

The Rhino mech-suit could be good, but it a problem for me if he's the big-wig scientist who makes it like in Ultimate.

I always liked the more humanizing aspects of the Rhino, especially after he finally retired and got married to Oksana. I like him being a not-so-bright fellow being drafted into a crazy project because he's good at smacking people around and wants to care for his mom. I don't like the idea of him being another evil scientist to be honest.

If they met half way and had him as a desperate fellow who volunteered for an experiment (strictly super soldier type, strictly exoskeleton, or a super powers + an armored suit) I'd be fine with that. I just don't want him to be the lab geek. In ultimate what was his motivation anyways?

Either way, I'm expecting a somewhat henchman role, but if its something with some depth, I'd like that. Either way, I'm interested to see where this will go.

Gotta say though, if not Rhino, I would have liked to see Giamatti as Electro for some reason. :)

My only concern is what version they're going to use. No the the genetic mash up idea.
I hope they aim for the genetic stuff, only without mutating him full form like what happened to Connors
Maybe mash this up with his origin in Spectacular Spider-Man

If they met half way and had him as a desperate fellow who volunteered for an experiment (strictly super soldier type, strictly exoskeleton, or a super powers + an armored suit) I'd be fine with that. I just don't want him to be the lab geek. In ultimate what was his motivation anyways?
That, is still unknown
Might be explained if Miles faced RHINO, Bendis took his time explaining Shocker

Someone else on the internet (don't remember who) thought it would be cool if the very opening scene of the movie would begin with Spidey fighting Rhino. I think it's very good idea.
That idea has been going around for a long time, though sometimes Rhino's been switched out for Shocker.

Not entirely. Giamatti loves the character. Even if he only plays him for 15-20 minutes, I'm sure he'll be happy. Besides, the less villains the better, right?

If they can tie Rhino & Electro into each other it'd work. Spider-Man 3 failed because all of the villains had separate stories, if ASM2 were to tie it's villains together it would work.

I think it's so hilarious how people in here are excited about Rhino while maybe one or two of them has ever said a peep about Rhino before this casting announcement.

Rhino is one of my favorite villains, so no I'm not hopping on a bandwagon. I think it's exciting to see Rhino because he could be very different from what we've seen so far.

The movie villains so far have all been pretty smart (even Sandman seemed a bit smarter than his comic counter part), we haven't seen Spidey fight someone who's just pure brawn with no brains. If this movie bases Rhino off of 616, we could see that & it could be very fun to watch.

This reminds of of what Nolan did by adding Bane as the main villain in TDKR, using a more physical villain with a lot of brute strength ( except Bane is super smart ). I can't wait to see the design they're going to use after what they chose for Lizard im sure a lot of people are concerned.

Nolan added Bane because Joker wasn't a physical villain. Lizard was a physical villain. But, lets face it...Spider-Man needs physical villains because he needs to fight someone. As much as I hate Rhino, I would die if they Superman Returns'd this movie and have Spider-Man never throw a single punch. But...I don't think we will really need to ever worry about that.

With Lizard being that physical villain already, I would've have liked to see a more mental villain for the sequel.

Well, as it is, Spider-Man has always been more about the personal life and villains are just obstacles, not like Batman where it's more about psychological dilemmas of Batman. Even with good character building in TSSM they were just obstacles. Still, a movie is a movie.

The most potential psychological villains imo are Doc Ock, Venom and Green Goblin. I'm thinking they shouldn't use Dock Ock unless he is in the same movie as Green Goblin. I just loved in The Dark Knight how they did 2 big shot villains balanced in the story, and I think that the same could be done with Ock and GG

Seriously, I can easily see this cold psychological Doc Ock being used, and in the same film as GG? That would make my head explode with awesomeness

I think it's so hilarious how people in here are excited about Rhino while maybe one or two of them has ever said a peep about Rhino before this casting announcement. Again, if it was Kangaroo Man then people would be in here excited and speculating at all the amazing possibilities that Webb could do with Kangaroo Man. We have Rhino and an Electro that thinks he's cop buddies with Spider-Man.

Why is this hilarious, chaseter? Rhino isn't exactly the most popular villain out there. With ones like Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Lizard, Venom, Vulture, Electro, Sandman, etc., Rhino always seems to be one of the forgotten villains. It doesn't mean that he isn't cool, or that nobody cares about him. Just doesn't pop into our minds as easily. And honestly... Rhino is actually pretty darn cool if you ask me. Just because nobody spoke about him before the announcement doesn't mean we didnt' like him to begin with. ;)

I guarantee you that if Kangaroo Man was making an appearance in the film, fans wouldn't be this excited.

I want nothing more than for TASM2 to be a great movie, it's just baffling to me sometimes, the choices that the studio/writers seem to make.

Agreed. It's strange how, we have a great cast with this movie and given the criticisms of every previous spidey movie, you'd think the decisions they're going with would appear to be somewhat sensible or at least easy to understand where and why they're going the route they're going BUT I'm just finding it difficult to see how this movie is going to be any good. Obviously, I'll wait for the finished product and I'll pay attention to the big reveals of the production but for now, this movie just isn't worth my time to speculate on and enjoy the hype of it's production and eventual release. I hope I'm wrong though.

Agreed. It's strange how, we have a great cast with this movie and given the criticisms of every previous spidey movie, you'd think the decisions they're going with would appear to be somewhat sensible or at least easy to understand where and why they're going the route they're going BUT I'm just finding it difficult to see how this movie is going to be any good. Obviously, I'll wait for the finished product and I'll pay attention to the big reveals of the production but for now, this movie just isn't worth my time to speculate on and enjoy the hype of it's production and eventual release. I hope I'm wrong though.
Why? It has so much potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back