Paul Thomas Anderson's Licorice Pizza

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
Paul Thomas Anderson Sets 1970s High School Movie For 2020 Production

Paul Thomas Anderson is returning to his San Fernando Valley roots to make a new film set in the 1970s, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The untitled film will be centered on a high school student who is also a successful child actor. Anderson will write, direct and produce the project through his Ghoulardi Film Company banner. Sources say casting is underway to find the lead and the project features a multitude of roles and could be ensemble in nature or have intersecting storylines.

Sources say Anderson's project, named in the California Film Commission's list of 13 films shooting in the state next year, is planning to go into production in February 2020.

Always down for more PTA. He can do no wrong in my eyes.

I love PTA, but I'm kinda meh on this. I dunno. I think I got spoiled by the There Will Be Blood/The Master double-whammy.

I see production starts some time in spring and will last until summer. What are the chances of this being released around next Christmas?

I love PTA, but I'm kinda meh on this. I dunno. I think I got spoiled by the There Will Be Blood/The Master double-whammy.

After Phantom Thread I have complete faith in PTA. That was a movie where the subject matter seemed a bit of a turn off for me when it was announced. Walked out of the theater loving it.

After Phantom Thread I have complete faith in PTA. That was a movie where the subject matter seemed a bit of a turn off for me when it was announced. Walked out of the theater loving it.
Phantom Thread has a lovely gothic romance feel to it. An exquisite film.

The scene they filmed was one long tracking shot of Cooper walking around slamming squeegees on cars and beating someone up.

Oh my God. :funny:

Guess he's gonna be a major ash flash to this kid.

Just like Dirk Diggler is inspired by John Holmes, Reynolds Woodcock is inspired by Charles James, and Lancaster Dodd is inspired by L Ron Hubbard, I don’t think Cooper is actually playing Jon Peters.

Bennie Safdie is playing LA Council member Joel Wachs. Wachs apparently had ties to Streisand so now there are rumors this is about the making of A Star Is Born, which would make the Cooper casting as Jon Peters very meta, if true (Peters produced A Star Is Born).

Yeah but can he act or is it just a cute favour/gimmick? I love PTA but nothing about this excites me. A coming of age movie in the 70’s with Bradley Cooper? Why? Lol

Pretty sure he wouldn't have cast the kid if he wasn't talented in any way. Come on now, this is PTA we're talking about. :funny:

Yeah but can he act or is it just a cute favour/gimmick? I love PTA but nothing about this excites me. A coming of age movie in the 70’s with Bradley Cooper? Why? Lol
His friendship with PSH was almost soulful. "Gimmick" isn't the word I would use here.

Still, I agree with your latter sentiment. I want more "TWBB/The Master" PTA.

I love Boogie Nights/Punch Drunk Love the most. So you’d think I’d be excited since this sounds closer to that. But the marketing for Inherent Vice fooled me and I don’t trust PTA will return to his old ways anytime soon. Even if it has the energy of those older movies, the premise to this sounds sooooo friggin boring.

Phantom Thread was the same thing. It turned out well but that had to do with DDL and the actress who’s name escapes me atm. If it wasn’t for them, Phantom Thread would be nothing more than a snobby snoozefest about some obsessive 60 year old who makes dresses and acts like a child.

Leo would have intrigued me more than Bradley that’s for sure. But enough with the 70’s high school movies.

I love Boogie Nights/Punch Drunk Love the most. So you’d think I’d be excited since this sounds closer to that. But the marketing for Inherent Vice fooled me and I don’t trust PTA will return to his old ways anytime soon. Even if it has the energy of those older movies, the premise to this sounds sooooo friggin boring.

Phantom Thread was the same thing. It turned out well but that had to do with DDL and the actress who’s name escapes me atm. If it wasn’t for them, Phantom Thread would be nothing more than a snobby snoozefest about some obsessive 60 year old who makes dresses and acts like a child.

Leo would have intrigued me more than Bradley that’s for sure. But enough with the 70’s high school movies.

Smh, you’ve disappointed me, Shauner.

He’s said The Master is about their relationship and Cooper calls him Uncle Paul. I think it’s really heartwarming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"