Penny Dreadful - Part 1

First two seasons available to stream on Netflix.

Heh... was watching some "Blackadder" recently and I thought that Napoleon reminded me of Ferdinand Lyle. Turns out it is the same actor playing both roles, Simon Russel Beale:

[YT]/watch?v=qt3eyeO0R94[/YT]

Up to the last 2 episodes of the 3rd season, have loved it so far, so gutted there will be no more :csad:.

Just finished watching the newly released DVD and really enjoyed it. There was so much more that could have been done such as the Egypt angle.

The new character Catriona Hartdegen was very refreshing. The actress Perdita Weeks is very beautiful and is the younger sister of (equally beautiful) Honeysuckle Weeks who was in Foyle's War. Perhaps after a short break they might bring some of the characters back in a new series: Sir Malcolm, Mr. Lyle, and Hartdegen. Maybe even Josh Hartnett if they want a name. The Frankenstein story has fizzled out as well as the Dorian Gray thread. The Jekyll angle never really took off and the representation of Dracula was not very well done.

I love this show - just about everything in it was perfect. The behind the scenes work is magnificent with the costumes, sets and designs.

It deserves far more limelight than it seems to get.

Here's an old interview with Logan where he mentions plans for Season 4:
http://www.indiewire.com/2015/05/jo...and-why-james-bond-shouldnt-come-to-tv-62446/

Had Logan planned on it going beyond three seasons? Did he have have to end it sooner than intended?

Does anyone know which character it is on the season 3 poster? I was fooled for a long time that it was just a skull but the I realised it was a person I thought it must be Vanessa. I had only seen small versions until yesterday and it doesn't look like Eva Green.

I'm convinced it was intended to run for more than three seasons. we never did learn the ancient Egyptian connection to Vanessa and Dracula.

I'm convinced it was intended to run for more than three seasons. we never did learn the ancient Egyptian connection to Vanessa and Dracula.

Do you mean the vampire with hieroglyphs beneath it's skin?

I though Lyle translated that as being part of the story of demons seeking the Mother of Evil - Dracula and the Devil had been competing for Vanessa's soul (which was reincarnated over thousands of years) and one such place was ancient Egypt.

Am I might bout Vanessa's soul?

Is Dracula ever named in Season 1? Is the Dracula the Big Bad the heroes face during those episodes? I had thought at the time he was but he is a lot different to the Dracula of Season 3 both in physical appearance and motivation. Was it a another vampire master who also hunted Vanessa's for itself or on behalf of Dracula? As I type I have a recollection of the Dr. Sweet Dracula taunting Sir Malcolm and his daughter. not sure if I'm confusing that with the earlier Big Bad show down.

It was definitely intended to run longer. They simply ended it to have to wrap it up in three seasons instead of 4 or 5.

I don't recall Dracula getting named in the earlier seasons. I think the implication is he is the big bad who is manipulating everything behind the scenes. Unless I'm confusing him with Satan.

I love this show and I'm still pissed at how it ended. :waa:

It was definitely intended to run longer. They simply ended it to have to wrap it up in three seasons instead of 4 or 5.

Okay. Was it because of a lack of audience? I don't know how well it did in the ratings in any county, but seems it gone relatively noticed by a great deal of people.

I wonder if we'll ever find out why Logan chose to end Vanessa's story rather than leave the door open a possible return. Did he just think there was no chance?

I don't recall Dracula getting named in the earlier seasons. I think the implication is he is the big bad who is manipulating everything behind the scenes. Unless I'm confusing him with Satan.

Dracula and the Devil were both working behind the scenes.

I love this show and I'm still pissed at how it ended. :waa:

I love how it ended, but am gutted it ended so soon.

There was a lot more potential story :-

what next for the Creature? And Lily?

Jekyll becoming Hyde and maybe targeting Frankenstein for walking out on the experiment, and his many slights

Chandler discovering Frankenstein resurrected Bronagh*

Anything involving Hartedgen, Lyle and Seward would be pure gold

It would require Vanessa to have survived though. The whole cast was fantastic, even the guest stars (Sarah Green is a scene stealer) and extras, Eva Green was just utterly fantastic.

Is Hartedgen based on any literary characters? I have googled the question and can't find anything to say she is, but something about the character is very familiar.

* I was very surprised in Season 2 that Vanessa didn't recognise Lily as Bronagh. When Frankenstein first asked Vanessa to meet his cousin, I had expected this to lead to Chandler finding out. I avoided looking into it because I wanted to avoid spoilers season 2 and eventually that became avoiding spoilers for Season 3.:cwink:

At first I thought maybe Vanessa was simply distracted by Grey, but I do recall Vanessa showing an interest in Bronagh. Was their meeting simply not enough for Vanessa recognise her weeks/months later? Ws the intention that Lily "scrubbed up" so well that she simply was not recognisable as Bronagh?

Does anyone agree, that although Jared Talbot Senior is not a good man and has his minions do bad things, Talbot Senior can hardly be blamed for having few screws loose after what happened and knowing his son played a part in it while Ethan seems to delight in the man's pain and show no remorse. Plus, he kills Rusk - yes Rusk won't stop until justice is done but there is no remorse there either and how does Sir Malcolm turn a blind eye to it? And isn't Kaetenay the one who lead the raid? Why did Ethan allow him to live all that time? This is not a criticism - I think I just need another point of view to fully understand that episode.

Can someone remind me, does Sir Malcolm (and Victor) know that Ethan is a werewolf?

Also, was Ethan being a werewolf intended to be a surprise for the audience? The slow build up to it and the eventual reveal were done very well, but it was very obvious from the start that Chander was a werewolf. Was it supposed to be obvious?

Do you mean the vampire with hieroglyphs beneath it's skin?

I though Lyle translated that as being part of the story of demons seeking the Mother of Evil - Dracula and the Devil had been competing for Vanessa's soul (which was reincarnated over thousands of years) and one such place was ancient Egypt.

Am I might bout Vanessa's soul?

Is Dracula ever named in Season 1? Is the Dracula the Big Bad the heroes face during those episodes? I had thought at the time he was but he is a lot different to the Dracula of Season 3 both in physical appearance and motivation. Was it a another vampire master who also hunted Vanessa's for itself or on behalf of Dracula? As I type I have a recollection of the Dr. Sweet Dracula taunting Sir Malcolm and his daughter. not sure if I'm confusing that with the earlier Big Bad show down.

Season 1 was weird in its approach. They used hallmarks of the traditional story of Dracula but never mentioned him. Then when they did introduce him they used a reincarnation/Egyptian origin.

The implication in later seasons is that both brothers were always tormenting Vanessa. Satan was her spiritual tormenter but was limited in his presence, while Dracula's attempt at corruption was mental as well as physical. I think that's why Dracula was the one to ultimately bring Vanessa to her end: Satan could only get so close to her and when he did have her on her knees, he couldn't account for the people Vanessa had in her life to help her. Dracula could.

Season 1 was weird in its approach. They used hallmarks of the traditional story of Dracula but never mentioned him. Then when they did introduce him they used a reincarnation/Egyptian origin.

So the Master Vampire the heroes faced in the Grand Guignol was indeed Dracula?

Why "reincarnation/Egyptian origin"? Weren't the hieroglyphs just one account Dracula & the Devil's many appearances in history? Dracula didn't originate in Egypt - was one of the angels cast out of heaven

The implication in later seasons is that both brothers were always tormenting Vanessa. Satan was her spiritual tormenter but was limited in his presence, while Dracula's attempt at corruption was mental as well as physical. I think that's why Dracula was the one to ultimately bring Vanessa to her end: Satan could only get so close to her and when he did have her on her knees, he couldn't account for the people Vanessa had in her life to help her. Dracula could.

By always, do you mean they had tormented Vanessa most of her life OR that the tormented her soul in various past lives?

I was never clear on whether Dracula and Devil had battled for Vanessa's soul before over the centuries or whether they spent centuries looking for a soul like hers.

Last edited:
So the Master Vampire the heroes faced in the Grand Guignol was indeed Dracula?

Why "reincarnation/Egyptian origin"? Weren't the hieroglyphs just one account Dracula & the Devil's many appearances in history? Dracula didn't originate in Egypt - was one of the angels cast out of heaven

By always, do you mean they had tormented Vanessa most of her life OR that the tormented her soul in various past lives?

I was never clear on whether Dracula and Devil had battle for Vanessa's soul before one e centuries or whether they spent centuries looking for a sol like hers.
I don't think the master vampire in season 1 was Dracula but I'm open to correction.

You're right the two angels cast from heaven was the origin. I'm confusing myself more about their connection to Vanessa through Egypt and Amunet.

Vanessa seemed to struggle from an early age with possession so I think at the very least, Satan was consistently present throughout her life.

They believed Vanessa to be the soul that they searched for throughout history, who would help bring forth their ultimate plans.

I don't think the master vampire in season 1 was Dracula but I'm open to correction.

You're right the two angels cast from heaven was the origin. I'm confusing myself more about their connection to Vanessa through Egypt and Amunet.

Vanessa seemed to struggle from an early age with possession so I think at the very least, Satan was consistently present throughout her life.

They believed Vanessa to be the soul that they searched for throughout history, who would help bring forth their ultimate plans.

First of all, I apologises for my woeful spelling and in some cases the wrong words. Tiredness is the cause.

The darkness began when she saw her mother having sex with Sir Malcolm, but I don't think they ever made clear if this led her down the path that caused her abilities or whether she was born with them.

In Season 1 there is an episode where Evelyn Poole holds a seance and Vanessa channels an Egyptian spirit - as best I can recall they were suggesting she was the reincarnation of Amunet, who I had assumed was a previous candidate for the Mother of Evil.

It's coming back! Spin-off series confirmed:

Showtime Orders ‘Penny Dreadful’ Follow Up ‘City of Angels’

Showtime has ordered a new installment of the drama series “Penny Dreadful,” the premium cabler announced Thursday.

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels” is set in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension. Rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil, the new series will explore a mix of the supernatural and the reality of the time period.

Penny Dreadful” creator, writer, and executive producer John Logan will return in those same roles for “City of Angels.” Michael Aguilar will also join as an executive producer. Sam Mendes and Pippa Harris of Neal Street Productions will also executive producec, with James Bagley co-executive producing. Logan’s Desert Wolf Productions will produce.

When I read "spin-off" a series set in 1938 LA was not what I had in mind. Will any of the original characters even be alive by then? Maybe Victor.

Unless they are somehow bringing back Eva Green as Vanessa, it is going to take a lot to get me excited again. The ending of season 3 left the worst taste in my mouth. It was a show clearly killed at least a season before it's time. They rushed nature of the last few episodes, that went against the most powerful moments of the first two and half seasons just... ugh.

Yeah they really created such a cool mythology and then blew it with that last season. You can tell it wasn't supposed to end that way.

Yeah they really created such a cool mythology and then blew it with that last season. You can tell it wasn't supposed to end that way.
I wouldn't say the last season, but definitely at least the last few episodes. I don't know if Logan got mad that they asked him to work with others or if it was the network, but someone clearly killed it late in development. How characters, both old and new, are suddenly handled reeks of it. There is no way Perdita Weeks character wasn't be setup for season 4. Vanessa's fate goes completely against even early season 3.

Not a fan of this 'revival' idea, especially without original cast.
The way they ended the series made me FURIOUS. I hope i can show some restraint and not watch this :/

If Dorian and Ethan and maybe Dracula return in this show I'll definitely watch it. The Creature can stay on his raft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"