Penny Dreadful - Part 1

Yeah I'm definitely checking this out. Natalie Dormer is a goddess. :hrt::hrt::hrt:

Still isnt grabbing me.

I just watched the first episode and it didn't really leave me wanting more... I was actually bored through most of it.

It kind of reminded me of LA Noire (the game) and soap operas... maybe also a little bit of American Horror Story. I didn't like the overly dramatic music, which they probably used to give it that old classic movie vibe.

I loved the original, but this is something completely different. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep watching this... Natalie Dormer is great though

I actually really enjoyed the premiere. I mean I can see why some probably won't, because it is so different from the original series, but as of right now I'm definitely intrigued. I'm digging this period setting and I love the fact that they've brought back Rory Kinnear. The character he's playing seems pretty interesting so far too and of course Natalie Dormer is fantastic. It's always great to see Nathan Lane in stuff too.

Didn't like the first episode and was bored.

The thirties setting is interesting but the characters and plot didn't grab me.

Same for me. I miss the classic monsters/characters of the original. It's tough or maybe even impossible to "compete" with Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Wolfman, Dorian Gray, etc. That's what basically made me watch the original

Yeah, it didn't blow me away. I'll keep watching in case it heats up down the road.

Guess I'm the odd man out. While I think the pilot for the original was better, I quite enjoyed this setting and liked the riot scene at the end. The appearance of the German American Bund I find interesting, but I say that with this airing on the heels of The Plot Against America on HBO, which showed the rise of fascism in America in light of Lindbergh winning the Presidency. Will definitely be interested to see where the plot goes.

Guess I'm the odd man out. While I think the pilot for the original was better, I quite enjoyed this setting and liked the riot scene at the end. The appearance of the German American Bund I find interesting, but I say that with this airing on the heels of The Plot Against America on HBO, which showed the rise of fascism in America in light of Lindbergh winning the Presidency. Will definitely be interested to see where the plot goes.
The parts I liked best were those, yes, which paralleled The Plot Against America which I really liked. :)

I also didn't like the second episode... it had some interesting moments but I was mostly bored again through most of it.

I'll probably give the third episode a shot since there isn't anything else to watch... but the show needs to improve for me to keep watching because I'm not really enjoying it. I would like to see some more supernatural stuff happening

Its true that it has more of a historical feel than a supernatural one. I'm liking it for that reason.

I am also enjoying the historical feel, but after this newest episode I honestly don't know if I really want to stick with it anymore either. I mean I probably will because the story still has me pretty intrigued and I do want to see where it goes, but there's just a lot of stuff in this show that I could do without as well. I already wasn't that big on the past two episodes, but that sexual assault scene really put a bad taste in my mouth. I get that the cops are supposed to be racist *******s, but even I thought that scene was a bit too much.

I know, right? Like they knew what was coming. :(

I think this show was pretty solid overall, but it is definitely a step down from the original series. The acting across the board is fantastic though, and I really do love the production design and the amount of detail they put into making everything look like it really was taking place in the late 30's in Los Angeles which I am a sucker for because I love my period pieces. I just wished they focused more on the horror elements instead of all the racial stuff, but I can't say that it wasn't well done or really effective in some scenes. Natalie Dormer really held this show together though and every time she was onscreen is when it held my attention the most.

I'm struggling myself, 4 episodes in and I feel like I've seen this type of show many times over.

Penny Dreadful was a special show, sad to say I don't think this series is going to hold a candle to it.

I'm struggling myself, 4 episodes in and I feel like I've seen this type of show many times over.

Penny Dreadful was a special show, sad to say I don't think this series is going to hold a candle to it.

I gave up after 3 episodes. I don't care that it's a completely different show now, but I just didn't like it. City of Angels does have an interesting story, but I thought it was mostly boring. It's a shame because I loved the original. Yes I would've preferred more horror, but if I enjoyed this spin-off that wouldn't matter at all.

With so many other shows to watch, I just couldn't "force myself" through more episodes to see if I might change my mind...

Last edited:

There's a few moments later on that make you appreciate the writing and acting to some levels. The interrogation scene with Nathan Lane... :wow: And like I said, it's like this show knew what was going to happen in real life. But I do agree that the story telling is reeeeeally slow at times.

There's a few moments later on that make you appreciate the writing and acting to some levels. The interrogation scene with Nathan Lane... :wow: And like I said, it's like this show knew what was going to happen in real life. But I do agree that the story telling is reeeeeally slow at times.
It's not that it's slow. I don't mind slow meandering plot lines as long as there's an appeal there for me. But I was hoping for a true sequel to Penny Dreadful in at least aesthetic and atmosphere. This show just doesn't have that. In fact it doesn't even need Penny Dreadful in its title to be honest. They've nothing in common bar a supernatural setting so it feels like a cheat in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"