Penny Dreadful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope for some mandatory Showtime nudity!

Lets just hope this works out better for her than Camelot did.

Eva?! Damn well they're off to a great start, can't wait to see who else they'll round up. :up:

Am I the only one who liked Camelot? I thought it was good but it should have had more seasons. My only gripe about it is the actor who played Arthur - I wish he was played by that other actor who played his 'brother'. Anyway, the only reason I liked it was because I wanted to see Eva do dark and she delivered. So here's hoping this show will turn out for the better for Eva...thought its not like I expect the same from what she did in Camelot. But that's just me.

I'll be checking out this show for sure. Good to hear that Eva is getting some more tv work. :)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/tim...n-john-logans-showtime-series-penny-dreadful/
Timothy Dalton To Star In John Logan’s Showtime Series ‘Penny Dreadful’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

It’s a Bond world on Showtime‘s new eight-episode drama series Penny Dreadful as former 007 Timothy Dalton has been tapped as one of the leads on the show from the team behind the most recent James Bond film, John Logan and Sam Mendes. Created, written and executive produced by Logan and executive produced by Mendes, the psychosexual horror series features some of literature’s most iconic figures as they become embroiled in Victorian London. Dalton will play Sir Malcolm, a hardened African explorer on a deeply personal quest. He joins previously cast Josh Hartnett and Eva Green.

You just know he's gonna grow in a classic 'stache for the role.

Last edited:
Has this been confirmed? It's a few days old but Digital Spy reported that Billie Piper has been cast. She wasn't even mentioned in the Deadline article of Dalton's casting so perhaps not.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a508045/billie-piper-joins-josh-hartnett-in-showtimes-penny-dreadful.html

Anyway, awesome with Dalton being cast, going by the descriptions it'll be interesting to see how they'll get entangled to the characters like Dracula, Victor Frankenstein & Dorian Gray etc, speaking of which I can't wait to see who they'll get for them.

Hmm... Dalton's character sounds an awful lot like Allan Quatermain. I wonder if they'd have the balls to use that character.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/spider-mans-reeve-carney-nabs-614548
'Spider-Man's' Reeve Carney Nabs Key Role in Showtime's 'Penny Dreadful' (Exclusive)
3:45 PM PDT 8/26/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

The "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" star will play Dorian Grey in the horror drama series.

Reeve Carney is going from Broadway to Showtime.

The actor, who starred as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, has nabbed a key role in the cable network's drama series Penny Dreadful, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The eight-episode drama revolves around some of literature's famed monsters -- including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and figures from the Dracula -- weaving together classic horror origin stories as the characters grapple with their monstrous alienation.

Carney will play the series regular role of Dorian Grey in a reprisal of Oscar Wilde's supernaturally attractive and decadent young hero. Penny's Dorian is further described as confident, mesmerizing yet somewhat isolated.

Penny Dreadful was created by three-time Oscar nominee John Logan (Skyfall), who will write and executive produce alongside Academy Award winner Sam Mendes and Neal Street's Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road). Juan Antonio Bayona (The Orphanage, The Impossible) directs the first two episodes.

Carney joins a cast that includes Timothy Dalton as Sir Malcolm, a tough African explorer on a deeply personal quest; Josh Hartnett as Ethan and Eva Green as Vanessa, the lone female of the story.

The casting comes after Carney was hand-picked by director Julie Taymor for Spider-Man and after he was selected to play Jeff Buckley in the upcoming musical biopic Mystery White Boy. The lead singer/songwriter of Carney also picked up a Young Artist Award for his role in the film Snow Falling on Cedars. Carney most recently starred in Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" video, which on Sunday picked up the award for best female video at MTV's Video Music Awards. Carney attended the awards show with Swift.

Carney is repped by Paradigm and Hansen Jacobson.

The psychosexual horror series will begin production in October in London. The series will debut in spring 2014.
Finally, one of the actual literary characters. :up:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/showtime-horror-drama-penny-dreadful-624701
Showtime Horror Drama 'Penny Dreadful' Casts its Frankenstein
2:42 PM PDT 9/9/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

"The Line Ranger's" Harry Treadaway will play the iconic character in the drama from John Logan that has also added Rory Kinnear to its ranks.

Showtime's Penny Dreadful has found its Frankenstein.

The Lone Ranger's Harry Treadaway has joined the cast of the cable network's horror drama from John Logan (Gladiator) and will play Dr. Victor Frankenstein. Showtime also announced Monday that Skyfall's Rory Kinnear will join the cast as a mysterious character of "haunting intensity."

The eight-episode drama revolves around some of literature's famed monsters -- including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and figures from the Dracula -- weaving together classic horror origin stories as the characters grapple with their monstrous alienation.

Treadaway and Kinnear join a previously announced cast that also includes Reeve Carney (Broadway's Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark) as Dorian Grey; Timothy Dalton as Sir Malcolm, a tough African explorer on a deeply personal quest; Josh Hartnett as Ethan; and Eva Green as Vanessa, the lone female in the story.

Penny Dreadful was created by three-time Oscar nominee John Logan (Skyfall), who will write and executive produce alongside Academy Award winner Sam Mendes and Neal Street's Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road). Juan Antonio Bayona (The Orphanage, The Impossible) directs the first two episodes.

The psychosexual horror series will begin production in October in London. The series will debut in spring 2014.

Treadaway (Showtime's Meadowlands, Control) recently finished filming the lead role opposite Rose Leslie in the indie feature Honeymoon. He's repped by ICM Partners and Principal Entertainment. Kinnear is best known for his role as Bill Tanner in Quantum of Solace and most recently Skyfall. He's with Markham Froggatt and Irwin.

Sky Atlantic To Co-Produce Showtime’s ‘Penny Dreadful’; Billie Piper Joins Cast

Enhancing its original drama slate, the UK’s Sky Atlantic has come aboard to co-produce John Logan’s upcoming period series Penny Dreadful with Showtime. The psychosexual horror series features some of literature’s most frightening and iconic figures as they grapple with alienation in Victorian London. Josh Hartnett, Eva Green, Timothy Dalton, Rory Kinnear, Harry Treadaway and Reeve Carney star, with Doctor Who‘s Billie Piper the latest addition to the cast. She’ll play an Irish immigrant trying to escape a dark past. Penny Dreadful is produced for Sky Atlantic and Showtime by Neal Street Productions and Desert Wolf Productions. Logan, Sam Mendes and Pippa Harris are exec producing. Oscar-nominee Logan created and wrote the series with the first two episodes to be helmed by The Orphanage and The Impossible director Juan Antonio Bayona. Shooting starts in October at Dublin’s Ardmore Studios.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/sky...times-penny-dreadful-billie-piper-joins-cast/

Only a few weeks away and they start shooting...yay. There better be pics!!!

Has this been confirmed? It's a few days old but Digital Spy reported that Billie Piper has been cast. She wasn't even mentioned in the Deadline article of Dalton's casting so perhaps not.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/ne...osh-hartnett-in-showtimes-penny-dreadful.html

Anyway, awesome with Dalton being cast, going by the descriptions it'll be interesting to see how they'll get entangled to the characters like Dracula, Victor Frankenstein & Dorian Gray etc, speaking of which I can't wait to see who they'll get for them.
deadline confirms her:oldrazz:

Deadline report that Bille Piper is joining the likes of Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, Eva Green, Reeve Carney, Rory Kinnear and Harry Treadaway in the cast of Penny Dreadful for Showtime. Her character is not named (so we don't know if she'll be playing an established horror icon) but apparently she'll appear as "an Irish immigrant trying to escape her dark past". Skyfall scribe John Logan is set to write all eight episodes of the series, with the director of that movie Sam Mendes executive producing. The first episode will be helmed by The Orphanage director Juan Antonio Bayona.

And also...
In addition to Piper, noted English actors Helen McCrory (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), Danny Sapani ("The Bill") and Simon Russell Beale (My Week with Marilyn, "MI-5") will also star in the drama series. McCrory will play Madame Kali, a spiritualist; Sapani will take on Sembene, an African warrior and longtime ally of Sir Malcolm (Dalton); and Russell Beale will star as Ferdinand Lyle, an eccentric Egyptologist.

deadline confirms her:oldrazz:

Deadline report that Bille Piper is joining the likes of Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, Eva Green, Reeve Carney, Rory Kinnear and Harry Treadaway in the cast of Penny Dreadful for Showtime. Her character is not named (so we don't know if she'll be playing an established horror icon) but apparently she'll appear as "an Irish immigrant trying to escape her dark past". Skyfall scribe John Logan is set to write all eight episodes of the series, with the director of that movie Sam Mendes executive producing. The first episode will be helmed by The Orphanage director Juan Antonio Bayona.

That rumor I posted was a month ago, way before Deadline or any other sites confirmed.

Can't wait to see who they'll snatch for Dracula, unless Kinnear is him, considering his description is very vague.

I assume that's Eva Green's voice, yes?

Yes it is and its damn freaking sexy as bad place.. :up: I do...oh yes I do love curses and monsters and all that! lol.

I wonder if they might ever introduce someone like Sweeney Todd in this world, since he debuted in a Penny Dreadful back in the day.

And can we get a name change to this thread? Or at lead add "Penny Dreadful" to the end of it, so more people know the name of the show?

It's time to change the name of this thread to "Penny Dreadful" already. Come on MODS!

Is that a werewolf I spy in the trailer? Perhaps that's Dracula in his werewolf form? He was after a werewolf & werebat in the original novel; and this is supposed to be based on the literary interpretation of the characters.

I hope they don't get too "monster happy" in this show. I think sticking with the classics: Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, Dorian Grey, Mr. Hyde, etc. should be plenty. I'd love to see a show that sticks to the original source material of the characters but unites them all under one umbrella. I'd hate to see it degenerate into an "everyone's a monster" show like True Blood did in it's weaker seasons.

So we know for sure that characters from The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula, & Frankenstein will be present. We also know that the Jack the Ripper mythos will play a role.

So I'll make a list of other possible gothic literary horror stories that could appear in the show.

Dorian Gray:
19097c76.jpg

Dracula:
Gary-Oldman-Dracula.jpg

Frankenstein's Monster:
frankensteins-monster.jpg

Jack the Ripper:
jack-the-ripper.jpg

1) The Curious Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
Dr_Jekyll_and_Mr_Hyde_by_Fiammetta1993.jpg

2) The Turn of the Screw (Deals with Ghosts)
TOTS_Main.jpg

3) Hop-Frog by Edgar Allan Poe (A dwarf court jester who lights the king and his court on fire...how cool would that be?)
Hop_Frog_3_by_MaxHierro.jpg

Non-literary characters
4) Wolf-Man
20-jpeg.jpg

5) Mummy
cushingmummy.jpg

I think Jeckyll & Hyde are a given for this show. They'd fit in all too well and the book is a classic just like the other three confirmed stories. I also think we'll see a wolf-man of some variety; based on what seems to be its presence in the teaser trailer. I also think we might see a mummy of some variety since one of the characters has been confirmed to be an Egyptian explorer.

Last edited:
Oh wow! Billie Piper in a "psychosexual" series??!! This will end up being better than AHS

I hope it'll be better than Camelot that Eva was in. I liked the show but it could have had another season... anyway, Does anyone know when the first episode of this show is supposed to air in 2014?

I never saw a full episode of Camelot, but I greatly enjoyed Eva's scenes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"