Comics Peter Parker: What should be his employment/work status?

Eye Doc

Civilian
Reaction score
Quesada recently said that Spider-Man was lacking some of the soap opera elemtns of the past. I agree. However, I think a lot of this is the fault of the Marvel writers.

A lot of Peter's personal life and problems have always revolved around his school life and employment. In Stan's day Peter had a group of people to interact with at Midtown High and Empire State University (Flash, Liz, MJ, Gwen, and Harry). He also had his Daily Bugle Staff (Betty, JJJ, Robbie, and Ned).

In the 80's more classmates/characters were introduced in Spectacular and AMZ (Deb Whitman, Professor Sloan, Lance Bannon, etc). Yet in recent years, the supporting cast really doesn't play a role in the book. I attribute a lot of this to the fact that Peter's life outside the costume has been all but been ignored for the last decade.

He re-entered graduate school but that part of his life was never focused on. TheTri-Corp angle was dropped before it had a chance to go anywhere. When was the last time Peter took a photo for the Bugle? Peter's in school but we don't know anything about his co-workers or his students.

If the writers paid more attention building up the role supporting cast, all kinds of stories could evolve out his interaction with them. The marriage could be put on the backburner for awhile b/c it wouldn't be the focus of the book. In order for this to happen though, I think Marvel needs to figure out where they want Peter to be professionally for the next several years. Once they do that, the supporting cast can then regain a prominent role in the book and the series could almost write itself.

Comments?

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Yes, but we don't need a soap opera.

Why do so many people here get upset when the word "soap opera" is used?

I've read interviews with Stan Lee himself and he describes his Spider-Man run as a "soap opera". I read a really cool Silver Age retrospective several years ago and the writer said the reason Spider-Man was so cool back in it's heyday was the fact it was ongoing soap opera that just happened to have Spider-Man show up for a fight once or twicw per issue. Stan said the reason he hired John Romita Sr. to pencil the book after Ditko was his background in ROMANCE COMICS. He knew Romita would give it a soap opera feel.

For the record I don't (perhaps the rest of you do) equate "soap opera" with romance. The best examples of the genre (Dallas, Knots Landing, Young and the Restless, etc. ) have always had a mixture of romantic subplots with action, family intrigue, character conflicts, and dramatic storytelling. Those elements have always been a part of Spider-Man comics when they were at their best.

Eye Doc

Eye Doc said:
Why do so many people here get upset when the word "soap opera" is used?

Because over time the term "soap opera" has acquired a negative connotation whether earned or not....

"Soap Opera Actors"
"This place is like a freaking Soap Opera"...etc etc

...try using "day time drama"...doesn't have the same sting :)

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Because over time the term "soap opera" has acquired a negative connotation whether earned or not....

"Soap Opera Actors"
"This place is like a freaking Soap Opera"...etc etc

...try using "day time drama"...doesn't have the same sting

Or drama period.

Point taken. Spider-Man is (or should be) a dramatic superhero comic strip. Now, how do you feel Marvel should address Peter's career?

Should he continue teaching?

Return to the Bugle?

Work both jobs?

Or, should he finally land a job using his scientific background like Mackie and Byrne attmpted to do during the botched reboot a few years back?:spidey:

Eye Doc

Peter Parker, formerly a hard-working, heroic, working class, "lovable loser" should be rich, famous, a member of the Avengers, live in a deluxe apartment in the sky, and should be married to a supermodel with 2.5 kids and a Spider-Dog.

Oh.

Wait.

Think they should develop th' teaching angle and integrate a new supporting cast. MAYBE if it works out storywise have Peter forced to return to th' Bugle. Mostly like an old stand-by. But he should become a STAFFER. No more freelance crap. He's not a teenager anymore, regardless of how many supposed fans want him to be.

I've always wondered how can Peter have 2.5 kids... shouldn't it be 2 or 3... cause you can't have half a kid... unless t3h 5p1d3r g0d (or Peter) ate half of your child...

He should go back to the Bugle. Nuff said. If Quesada wants to bring Spidey to his roots, bring him back to the Bugle. Don't kill MJ or have the couple seperate or get divorced. I honestly wonder what Stan Lee thinks of that idea. Destroy a clasic couple... ugh...

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Think they should develop th' teaching angle and integrate a new supporting cast. MAYBE if it works out storywise have Peter forced to return to th' Bugle. Mostly like an old stand-by. But he should become a STAFFER. No more freelance crap. He's not a teenager anymore, regardless of how many supposed fans want him to be.

Veiled insult?

Yup, bub.

Avengers should be heroes full time.

he shouldn't have any other commitments at this time.

Odin's Lapdog said:
Avengers should be heroes full time.

he shouldn't have any other commitments at this time.

Gotta disagree. Firstof all I don't think Peter should even be in the Avengers. Quesada has been saying that Spidey needs to be more like the Stan Lee version. Yet, Stan wisely realized that certain characters like Spidey, DD, and Doc Strange, really shouldn't be full time members of any organized team. These guys work best as loners.

Secondly, if Peter only works in the Avengers, how will he ever interact with anyone else outside of May, MJ, and his teammates? One of the main problems with the book is the fact his supporting cast is irrelevant and Peter basically has no life outside of the costume.

I'd like to see the old supporting cast, or a new supporting cast, play a prominent role in the series once again. That'll never happen if Peter becomes a full-time Avenger.

Eye Doc

Eye Doc said:
Gotta disagree. Firstof all I don't think Peter should even be in the Avengers. Quesada has been saying that Spidey needs to be more like the Stan Lee version. Yet, Stan wisely realized that certain characters like Spidey, DD, and Doc Strange, really shouldn't be full time members of any organized team. These guys work best as loners.

Secondly, if Peter only works in the Avengers, how will he ever interact with anyone else outside of May, MJ, and his teammates? One of the main problems with the book is the fact his supporting cast is irrelevant and Peter basically has no life outside of the costume.

I'd like to see the old supporting cast, or a new supporting cast, play a prominent role in the series once again. That'll never happen if Peter becomes a full-time Avenger.

Eye Doc
it doesn't matter for us as readers what affiliations best suit people, if spidey is an avenger, he should keep to doing what other avengers do. That's his Job now.

what effects it has on him and his life should be examined and that should be the emphasis of the story.

if he's now an avenger, he needs to act like one and get on, rather than trying to balance 3 billion things in one go.

it's a full time duty.

if there are ploblems with his interactions, then don't make him an avenger, simple.

Odin's Lapdog said:
if there are ploblems with his interactions, then don't make him an avenger, simple.

I totally agree with that statement. Now, let's assume Peter decides to leave the Avengers. How would you have him earn a living?

Eye Doc

PS--It just dawned on me that Peter "HAS TO" work someplace else! According to Bendis, the current Avenger team members do not earn a monthly stipend like they did in the past.:eek:

Well if he was to then leave, he would go back probably be some sort of lab technician or perhaps a teacher, i think the freelance photography thing is getting old, unless he's requested for a big formal occasion.

and working avengers sounds like the worst idea ever, i thought they were at the very least self funded.

Odin's Lapdog said:
Well if he was to then leave, he would go back probably be some sort of lab technician or perhaps a teacher, i think the freelance photography thing is getting old, unless he's requested for a big formal occasion.

and working avengers sounds like the worst idea ever, i thought they were at the very least self funded.

Back in the 80's, Roger Stern wrote a story where Peter tried to join the Avnegers. True to typical Parker luck, his attempt ended miserably. However, I recall Peter saying that the $1,000 per week salary would've come in handy.

In the first or second issue of the New Avengers, Cap asked Peter to join. I think Peter said he could use the money and Cap informed him that there's no pay involved this time around. :(

So far most of the replies seem to want Peter to spend more time working for the Bugle. I can see why a lot of you feel that way. As a photographer Peter's would have a lot of free time and wouldn't be restricted to a typical 9-5 job. He'd also be able to keep up with local crime reports, which would allow him to respond to crime quicker.

Now some questions for you "aspiring writers" out there:

1) What would you do with the supporting cast at the Bugle?

We've had Betty and JJJ since the book started in the 1962-63. Robbie's been around since mid 60's. Glory Grant has been used sporadically since the 70's. Each of these characters have had storylines in the past, but nothing major in nearly a DECADE. Any ideas for them?

2) Would you add new members?

Ned Leeds and Lance Bannon are dead Joy Mercado and Kate Cushing haven't been seen in years. I thought that Billy Walters (aspiring young photographer) from the Sensational Spidey had potential but he hasn't appeared since before the relauch. Ben Urich still works there, but he's mainly a DD supporting cast member. Am I the only one who thinks the series could be reinvigorated with a fresh influx of new characters at the Bugle?

Eye Doc

When I started reading Spider-Man, he was still a freelance photographer for the Bugle. In fact, I believe he was still attending Empire U. He was dating a blonde girl with glasses (she was in TAS as well). Those were the better days, no doubt. Small soho apartment, and a world of woe as Spidey or Peter. The old books were cool, because he had so much **** on his shoulders as Peter, and then his Spidey dutys just made the plate more full. There is no doubting that more focus lies on Peter Parker the Spider-Man and less on Peter Parker. Joining the Avengers? Living in their Mansion/Tower? They turn the man into some upper crust super hero, and they wonder what happened to the quality of the character. I really liked the teaching angle though. I am majoring in Lberal studies so that I can become a teacher myself, so I found a great deal of enjoyment from that. Most people always say that teachers are under paid, so it suited Peter well, since he always works the meager jobs. But now...much of that legacy has been distorted.

Arach Knight said:
When I started reading Spider-Man, he was still a freelance photographer for the Bugle. In fact, I believe he was still attending Empire U. He was dating a blonde girl with glasses (she was in TAS as well). Those were the better days, no doubt. Small soho apartment, and a world of woe as Spidey or Peter. The old books were cool, because he had so much **** on his shoulders as Peter, and then his Spidey dutys just made the plate more full. There is no doubting that more focus lies on Peter Parker the Spider-Man and less on Peter Parker. Joining the Avengers? Living in their Mansion/Tower? They turn the man into some upper crust super hero, and they wonder what happened to the quality of the character. I really liked the teaching angle though. I am majoring in Lberal studies so that I can become a teacher myself, so I found a great deal of enjoyment from that. Most people always say that teachers are under paid, so it suited Peter well, since he always works the meager jobs. But now...much of that legacy has been distorted.

My brother has worked as a college professor for almost a decade. He says there are tons of story angles a writer could explore for a character who is working on a graduate degree or teaching at any educational level (High School, college, etc.) I think JMS has missed out on a lot of potential stories by not making Peter's life at Midtown High a more prominent feature of the book.

Years ago Stan leesaid that the good guy vs. bad guy plot is really formularized. In order to keep himself interested, he wanted to make you care about Peter the individual and his life struggle. Once you care about the character, and the people who interact with him, the book becomes more compelling. In recent years, I don't think ANY of the Spider-Man writers have grasped that concept.

Eye Doc

I enjoyed the story where Peter found out that one of his students was homeless. And then there was the story where one of his students had a druggy brother, that he had to save as Spider-Man. It was the begining of a very interesting dynamic. And then there was the story where the kid came to the school to kill everybody (in obvious retrospect to Columbine). Sure those are main ideas you would write about, but I feel that teaching still offers many other dynamics. Plus, it kept Peter more humble. I mean, he is a smart ass by nature...especially when fighting, but he always feels like the humble super hero. Powerful, but not too powerful. Well educated, but not well paid. Everything in his life is just enough to get by. I think that is a very nice quality about the Peter Parker/Spider-Man character. He truly is that loveable loser.

In the interest of a regular supporting cast, I don't like Peter teaching high school. While there are lots of opportunities for drama and stories involving the kids, they are his students and not his peers. You can have other teachers, but most of his time would be spent with the kids.
If he must teach I'd rather it be at the University. More teachers/professors and older students, who could be closer to being peers/friends with Peter.

That said, I'm with the majority. I want him back at the Bugle. JJJ, Robbie, beyond that, you'd probably have to introduce more characters, but... It's a classic Spidey setting, the work enviornment is more social and interesting than watching Pete grade papers or get involved in drama in the 5 min. a teacher has time to grab coffee in the staff room (I know, I'm a teacher).

Besides, teaching is too regular, and those early mornings must kill an occationally nocturnal hero like Spidey! Peter needs a job where he can set his own hours.

I wouldn't mind seeing him and MJ manage an apartment building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"