Phase 2: Which Avenger had the best solo film?

Discussion in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' started by The Batman, Apr 8, 2014.

?

Which was the better phase 2 solo film?

1. Iron Man 3

2. Thor: The Dark World

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheVision

TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Yeah itll def be another action thriller but with no SHIELD/HYDRA stuff, it will lose that cool conspiracy angle that made TWS so intriguing. Im sure by now they know how to continue the same kind of excitement and substitute something new for that. Plus itll take place in the aftermath of AOU, so theres sure to be more interesting story/plot going on anyway.

2. drod1985

drod1985 Ragnarock n' Roll

Cap 3 might could trade the conspiracy angle for some mystery. They'll be hunting Bucky down, after all. Might be cool to see Bucky on the run, with Cap chasing him down to restore him and Crossbones chasing him down to get The Winter Soldier back to business with Hydra...

3. daddydivine

daddydivine I'm black, I can say it.

Phase 1 Cap was the weakest link to me - After phase 2 Cap I see why Cap is the leader of the Avengers. That takes some great directing.

4. Destined

Destined BOSS

Yeah there is definitely the aftermath of AOU to consider. The great thing is the directors read the script already and they're satisfied where it leaves Cap. Ugh I'm so curious! I want to know lol. But we'll all be waiting to see where good ole Cap story leads no doubt.

5. TheVision

An action-mystery thriller would be very cool. Like a race to get to Bucky between Cap who wants to save him and Crossbones/Strucker who want to use him to kill.

6. Destined

Destined BOSS

That's what I'm thinking too. It definitely will be more mystery involved just from what Widow telling Cap about not wanting to pull on that thread. I think things will definitely be revealed in AOU that could be connected what the things that happened to Bucky and this will give Cap an even more clear path for Cap 3.

7. TheVision

What if.....Bucky shows up in AOU? People would love it.

8. onyxrose81

onyxrose81 Well-Known Member

It's Cap 2 for me...the other don't even rate. There were parts of IM3 I enjoyed (and I didn't mind the Mandarin twist...I don't get why that's a problem for people) but ultimately, I just was not fulfilled. TDW was a complete and utter mess.

9. First Avenger

First Avenger Well-Known Member

Because they only wrote the last draft of it with Yost,they were not the original writers.Don Payne was the first writer on it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. RetrogradeOrbit

RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

Cap by such a wide margin it is immeasurable.

11. The Question

The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

I'm curious why so many people liked Captain America more than Iron Man. They were, by my estimation, of equal quality, but while Captain America was a fairly traditional (albeit exceptionally well made and thoughtful) action film, Iron Man 3 was a very unique and fresh experience. It tried a lot of new things with the character and the genre and took a lot of creative risks that I felt were very successful. That's what pushes it over the edge for me. I'm not looking to start a fight or anything, everyone is of course entitled to their own preferences, I'm just curious about how others feel the two films stack up against each other.

12. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

I think it's because some people feel as though IM3 wasn't executed so well whereas Cap 2 was. I wouldn't say they are of the same quality. I love IM3 and think the concept is very interesting but I don't think it was executed as well as Cap 2 was.

13. TheVision

IM 3 felt like a wacky Shane Black/RDJ experiment to me, I enjoyed it but Cap 2 had a current events type story and also increased all the cool things about the character. It was much more satisfying.

14. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

I really liked Killian's plan and Guy Pearce's performance. And I absolutely loved Kingsley's performance and of course RDJ. It had a really strong first act but the (imo) excessive humour and underwhelming third act kind of brought it down for me. It's still my 3rd favourite MCU solo movie.

15. Hellion

Hellion Oppa Is Here

Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Thor: The Dark World > Iron Man 3

For me…at least.

16. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

I feel the same way of Cap 2 as you feel about IM3. TWS feels more fresh for me in terms of scope, content, and execution. With IM3, I got exactly what I was expecting in terms of style when I heard Shane Black is directing - akin to Lethal Weapon (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

There are other reasons as well, but the main difference is I thought Cap 2 was much better written and had more depth, including much better social commentary. We're probably polar opposites on this, but I thought IM3's social commentary was extremely latched on. It didn't come off natural; heck, I'll go as far as to say that it felt like a political agenda to me. It's not so much the message itself (which I agree with), but the way it was presented/integrated in the movie. Whereas TWS made it feel more natural and with more heart.

Plus, TWS features the demolition of SHIELD :oldrazz: (I dislike SHIELD in the comics).

17. The_Manhunter

The_Manhunter DCEU & MCU Fan

1. Thor: The Dark World
    2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man 3

I liked them all though.

Vartha, I'm shocked!

18. batboy99

batboy99 BTVS

[​IMG]

19. The_Manhunter

The_Manhunter DCEU & MCU Fan

[​IMG]

:p

20. Destined

Destined BOSS

In agreement with pretty much what everyone has said. TWS was just the better film through cohesiveness. The Russo's balanced plot, grounded tone, developed characters, executed story, delivered top notch action without it being forced, gave us an accurate threatening villain and upgraded the hell out of Cap while maintaining the heart of who he is. Add an outstanding cast and this movie is just superior in every way. So much win.

21. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

Just curious, what changes would you all have made to IM3 and Thor TDW to bring them up to Cap's level?

As everyone says, they had so much potential. So if Marvel got redos on both, what would you change?

For me, I'd tone down the humor by A LOT for both movies. Honestly, the humor killed them for me. It wasn't as bad in IM3 (still really bad), but for TDW....Let's just say Thor's greatest enemy wasn't Malekeith or Kurse or Loki.

It was Darcy. :dry:

22. batboy99

batboy99 BTVS

:oldrazz:
    I liked TDW, but I feel it fell short to the first and definitely not on par with TWS.

23. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

IM3:

-Cut out some of the comedy and have a more consistent tone.
    -If this is supposed to be Tony facing his greatest test and being back in the proverbial "cave" like he was in IM, then take that seriously. You know what wasn't present in that cave in IM 1, a lot of comedy.
    -Explain Extremis better.
    -Give Maya Hansen more of a role. In the Extremis comic, she's hugely important. In the movie, she's kind of pointless.
    -Have Sir Ben Kingsley actually be the Mandarin (no twist). Killian can be his ally/scientific adviser.
    -Don't gloss over Pepper getting cured at the end or Tony getting his Arc Reactor taken out at the end in a quick scene. God was that lazy, especially for two things that had been built up to be really hard to fix.

Thor: TDW:

-Again, cut out some (not all) of the comedy and establish a more consistent tone.
    -Either reduce the Earth characters screentime, or cut them out of the movie entirely. They served no real purpose other than to be annoying.
    -Come up with a less contrived way to get Jane to Asgard and actually DEVELOP her romance with Thor if we're supposed to buy in as this great love story.
    -Give Sif and the Warriors 3 more screentime and actually develop them as characters.
    -Give Malekith more screentime and develop him as a character more. Or at least give him more motivation than "I'm an evil *****e."
    -Don't have the final battle take place on Earth.
    -COME UP WITH BETTER STORY!! This one was paper-thin and just there to string along a bunch of action scenes. TWS proved that you could have lots of cool action scenes AND also a compelling story at the same time, so do it.

24. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

This isn't even a conversation. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was by far the best solo-MCU film of phase 2 for an Avenger.

I would say for me, Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World are pretty close in quality. I flip flop on them all the time.

25. Destined

Destined BOSS

For IM3:
    -Tone down forced humor
    -Actually use Rhodes as Iron Patriot more than what they did
    -Have Tony as Iron Man more than what they did, especially in the end
    -Actually have Kingsley as the true Mandarin in the movie
    -Cut the kid scenes to minimally if not all of it.

For TDW:
    -No Darcy or assistant
    -Very little Jane
    -Very little Midgard
    -More Sif and the Warriors 3
    -Better villain
    -A better threat to Asgard
    -No streaking or pantless Selvig
    -Much more serious tone
    -Better script in general
    -And all those awesome scenes that were cut, would've been in the movie