Phase 4 seems to be all about selling Disney Plus...

MikenAyers

Civilian
Reaction score
Seems all the established Avengers offshoots, with the exception of Black Widow and Doctor Strange are all steaming, while the more untested properties are given theatrical releases without spinning off of, or being teased in previous films.

With the exception of Shang Chi’s title using Ten Rings.

Guessing with the Guardians drama, and availability of characters thanks to the Fox purchase they're still shaking some things out. Really they only showed the next 2 years of movies.

As opposed to selling movie tickets.

The service intrigues me in terms of exploration and story potential. Feige said it'll be the weirdest thing they've ever done, which makes the question of Strange 2 more interesting.

The service intrigues me in terms of exploration and story potential. Feige said it'll be the weirdest thing they've ever done, which makes the question of Strange 2 more interesting.
That was Perlmutter's vision. Now, Feige has the juice to get Movie Actors to do a TV miniseries where as Perlmutter could not get them on a legacy broadcast 7 year series

They are betting big on Disney Plus, and I think it will be a big success when the whole MCU is on there. Many people are going to want that digitally to hand including being ready for new releases as they come out.

Guessing with the Guardians drama, and availability of characters thanks to the Fox purchase they're still shaking some things out. Really they only showed the next 2 years of movies.

Guardians 3 was also supposed to kick start MCU cosmic maybe thats been relegated to Eternals? Who knows or they delayed the cosmic side and maybe will start it with FF.

That’s still a priority, but I guess they’re seeing if the Marvel name is enough to put butts in seats with a slate of untested properties, while the A list characters are selling the streaming service.

That’s still a priority, but I guess they’re seeing if the Marvel name is enough to put butts in seats with a slate of untested properties, while the A list characters are selling the streaming service.
Are they A list characters, or the A list character's sidekicks? Characters who have done more qith the star onscreen than just name drop the A lister once or twice a TV season.

Seems all the established Avengers offshoots, with the exception of Black Widow and Doctor Strange are all steaming, while the more untested properties are given theatrical releases without spinning off of, or being teased in previous films.

With the exception of Shang Chi’s title using Ten Rings.

And thor. That is 3 of 5 films being established characters and 2 being new. Seems pretty consistent with how marvel does things. The streaming service is a bonus.

Hmm the movies are still the main attraction to me. I just hope these tv shows are quite more engaging and less dragging than all previous Marvel live action shows. And hopefully they look more cinematic.

Disney is the parent company to Marvel. No matter how successful, and probably because of how successful Marvel is, Disney is going to make sure the Mothership is taken care of.

Disney has a huge content base to pull from for their platform, but they're going to need subscribers and early adopters to make Disney+ work. For at least the past 5 years several of the top movies have been Disney released Marvel and/or Marvel related movies released by others. Catering to the rabid fans among us is a great way to build an early subscriber base. Especially knowing our incredible appetite for these characters and stories. Also thanks to Netflix they have a model to use.

Comic Con is the biggest geek platform of the year. Marvel's Hall H presentation is the biggest event of the platform. They'd have been stupid to not take advantage of it and promote their service. The added advantage to Marvel Studios is also that it gives them more content to promote while they figure out how to work with all the newly acquired stuff. Feige was smart. He promoted the films coming soonest. Promoted his parent companies properties. Then acknowledged what we already knew but didn't offer any details to just let us know he knew what the fanbase wanted and was most anticipating. Thus he bought himself time to figure out what's coming and put a plan together.

Yeah. I mentioned this in another thread when I saw the lineup. In general, I avoid CBS All Access, ESPN+, etc. I think it's just a way to soak more money out of you and it sorta pisses me off.

I may have to break down and get this one. LOL. I realize it's a good business decision for Disney, but I hate being bent over. I'd rather just buy a ticket.

Well they'll sure have me as a subscriber. I think it's a good balance of both considering it's only the plan for the next two years. Guardians will probably be 2022 or 2023 and Black Panther 2/ Fantastic Four are already in development and all likely for Phase IV

Smart in a way.

If they maybe led in with 1 or 2 shows and no other news about what's coming next they probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the subscriber numbers that they will get now.

I was already planning on getting Disney + and while I knew at launch there would be no Marvel Shows, I'm a bit disappointed the 1st show won't launch until Fall 2020. Unless there's other content available that I'm interested in (besides The Mandalorian), I may wait.

I agree with all of you. The splitting up of content across the services is annoying and going to cause me to have to limit which ones I want at what time.

The reason Netflix succeeded was the variety of content on their platform. Now they are becoming a victim of their own success since content generators want a bigger piece of the pie. Just wonder if the content generators have figured out they'll never reach Netflix level idividually because the total amount of content is being spread too thin.

Though if I had to bet on any of them reaching Netflix heights I'd put money on Disney+.

Scarlet Witch, Vision and Loki aren't just the sidekicks.

Loki especially. You could argue that Vision and Scarlet Witch are second tier Avengers, but Loki is just as big a star as Thor, maybe bigger.

I agree with all of you. The splitting up of content across the services is annoying and going to cause me to have to limit which ones I want at what time.

The reason Netflix succeeded was the variety of content on their platform. Now they are becoming a victim of their own success since content generators want a bigger piece of the pie. Just wonder if the content generators have figured out they'll never reach Netflix level idividually because the total amount of content is being spread too thin.

Though if I had to bet on any of them reaching Netflix heights I'd put money on Disney+.

I'd be patient. Yes, every network and studio is trying to do their own streaming service, and yes, this means either spending a ton of money or picking and choosing services. However, a world where customers get to pick and choose is a *good* one. All you need is a willingness to accept that, just because a service has a show of interest, doesn't mean you have to subscribe. You can, instead, just watch *other* things on a service you do get.

And, since the proliferation is fundamentally unstable, some years down the road there should be an implosion, and we'll be back to a reasonable number of services anyway. After all, it does no good for a network to make their own streaming service, and get all the profits, if nobody subscribes because even $5 a month is still too much for "NBC Unlimited" or whatnot. Eventually, only the handful of meaningfully valuable services will survive, and everyone else will just put their content back up on one of them ( or perhaps some new "joint owned, lets not sell out to a giant" service ).

( Oh, who do I think will survive? Netflix, because they were first and biggest and can make it through the lean years. Amazon Prime, because its attached to Amazon and they won't want to abandon their foothold. Disney+, because Disney has insane content archives. Whatever WB eventually calls their thing, likewise. Everyone else dies, including Hulu, unless Hulu ends up getting turned into the aforementioned "everybody but the giants" combined service. )

I'd be patient. Yes, every network and studio is trying to do their own streaming service, and yes, this means either spending a ton of money or picking and choosing services. However, a world where customers get to pick and choose is a *good* one. All you need is a willingness to accept that, just because a service has a show of interest, doesn't mean you have to subscribe. You can, instead, just watch *other* things on a service you do get.

And, since the proliferation is fundamentally unstable, some years down the road there should be an implosion, and we'll be back to a reasonable number of services anyway. After all, it does no good for a network to make their own streaming service, and get all the profits, if nobody subscribes because even $5 a month is still too much for "NBC Unlimited" or whatnot. Eventually, only the handful of meaningfully valuable services will survive, and everyone else will just put their content back up on one of them ( or perhaps some new "joint owned, lets not sell out to a giant" service ).

( Oh, who do I think will survive? Netflix, because they were first and biggest and can make it through the lean years. Amazon Prime, because its attached to Amazon and they won't want to abandon their foothold. Disney+, because Disney has insane content archives. Whatever WB eventually calls their thing, likewise. Everyone else dies, including Hulu, unless Hulu ends up getting turned into the aforementioned "everybody but the giants" combined service. )

I agree that picking is good and will lead to better things. Though it may also lead to 6 months here, 6 months there etc. which also isn't bad just not as convenient as Netflix is by blending across networks.

My bigger fear is like you mentioned we'll eventually be left with only 3-4 services whose price points will be greatly elevated to the point cable is now. Also concerned that because cord cutters are abandoning cable, taxes on said cable are starting to evaporate. I'd look for new taxes on streaming services in the future. The golden age of streaming may be past us soon.

And yes I think Prime, & Disney+ will survive for the reasons you cite. Netflix I'm not so sure. They've taken on huge amounts of debt recently. Hulu may live on just because of Netflix's debt.

I agree that picking is good and will lead to better things. Though it may also lead to 6 months here, 6 months there etc. which also isn't bad just not as convenient as Netflix is by blending across networks.

My bigger fear is like you mentioned we'll eventually be left with only 3-4 services whose price points will be greatly elevated to the point cable is now. Also concerned that because cord cutters are abandoning cable, taxes on said cable are starting to evaporate. I'd look for new taxes on streaming services in the future. The golden age of streaming may be past us soon.

And yes I think Prime, & Disney+ will survive for the reasons you cite. Netflix I'm not so sure. They've taken on huge amounts of debt recently. Hulu may live on just because of Netflix's debt.

Netflix has put itself into a bind on several fronts. Its debt alone poses a massive problem for the future. The company's revenues may not be enough to service the debt and keep churning out content at the rate it needs to stay viable.

And Netflix's need for new content has become critical because most if not all of its studio sources are taking their products to their own streaming services. With that source of popular films and shows dried up, the quality and quantity of Netflix's own output is extremely important. It can't cut back on spending too much because of that, yet borrowing too much has become a problem in itself.

Netflix's price hikes have proven problematic, as well. Apparently, it finally found the upper limit of what consumers are willing to pay for its service. Its failure to make its subscription growth forecasts last quarter caused investors to bail and Netflix to lose $17 billion in market cap in a single day. It needs to find a way to attract more subscribers at the higher prices, or lower its rates to regain customers. But the there's the need for more revenue to contend with. It will be interesting to watch the execs struggle to square that circle.

Loki especially. You could argue that Vision and Scarlet Witch are second tier Avengers, but Loki is just as big a star as Thor, maybe bigger.

I might have agreed to Loki being more popular than Thor before Ragnarok, but that film changed their dynamic drastically. Loki is still extremely popular but Thor's standing with the public has skyrocketed over the last few years.

According to this Netflix is also down 130,000 subscribers for the first time since the flixster debacle.

Netflix is having a long, cruel summer

They are gaining overseas and I'm guessing that's where their gains will come from for now.

Disney name recognition, quality and quantity content, and family friendliness will see it through. I'd bet you see a lot of families sign up early just so they don't have to buy the DVDs. What's interesting is at the young ages I think their main competition will be PBSkids

Honestly Netflix is looking like the next streaming service to go for me personally.

If Disney+ is a success then X-MEN shows that tie into the movie becomes possible. I'm buying it day one and not interested in anything on it until first MCU show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"