Pick A DC Director To Helm A Marvel Movie Thread

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Which DC directors would you like to see migrate over to the competition?

I think Chris Nolan would make a really interesting Challengers Unknown Movie could even be a fit for F4 provided Marvel takes the same route with the property as Hickman did in making a more philosophical grand sci-fi epic. And I think James Wan would make a very visually sumptuous Doctor Strange movie. What about you guys?

I mean, it was animated, but maybe Matt Peters and Christina Sotta of Apokolips War doing an animated X-Men film?

I liked Cathy Yan’s style in Harley Quinn & the Birds of Prey—maybe she could handle Young Avengers?

Let’s see how Patty Jenkins does with Rogue Squadron, but she could be a good choice for The Starjammers.

Does Nolan still count? Let him have Fantastic Four.

Party Jenkins could do something interesting with a retooled (but not rebooted) Guardians of the Galaxy.

Snyder can do Marvel Zombies under heavy supervision.

Love Nolan, but I don't think he'd be right for FF.

I don’t know much about the F4 so I can’t argue with that! If I’m being honest, based on what I do know, I think he’d make a really good movie that would simultaneously be a (in some important ways) lackluster F4 movie, if that makes sense.

I don’t know much about the F4 so I can’t argue with that! If I’m being honest, based on what I do know, I think he’d make a really good movie that would simultaneously be a (in some important ways) lackluster F4 movie, if that makes sense.
There has always been a humorous element to the FF comics; especially Ben and Johnny. I think Nolan is a terrific storyteller and the first 2 Batman movies are among my favorite ever made, but I don't think he'd get them quite right.

Love Nolan, but I don't think he'd be right for FF.
Agreed! That is a horrible choice for Fantastic Four. If I was to give him anything, it would be Daredevil or Hawkeye. Some street level hero. I'd give Zach Snyder a Sentry movie or even Punisher.

• Matt Reeves for The Daredevil
  • Patty Jenkins for Squirrel Girl
  • David Sandberg for Deadpool
  • James Wan for Namor
  • Andy Muschietti for Ghost Rider
  • Cathy Yan for X-Women
  • Zack Snyder for nothing
:applaud

I would be interested in Nolan or Snyder for a Daredevil film, *maybe* Snyder for a Hulk.

Agreed! That is a horrible choice for Fantastic Four. If I was to give him anything, it would be Daredevil or Hawkeye. Some street level hero. I'd give Zach Snyder a Sentry movie or even Punisher.
Oh S***! I’m going to have to reassess my post. :cwink:

I pick James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Matt Reeves / The Hulk.

• Zack Snyder for nothing
:applaud

Did you watch his Justice League on HBO? Absolutely fantastic movie, quite possibly the best comic book adaptation I've ever seen. I know it's heresy to say that in this forum lol...

I would pick Snyder for X-Men or any other epic Marvel ensemble film. If they ever do a revamped Avengers film, he would be my first choice...

As for Nolan, I agree that he would be wrong for FF. In fact, I think both he and his Dark Knight franchise are horribly overrated. I also thought Tenet was terrible. I would give him something more street-level like Daredevil or Moon Knight. His specific brand of melodrama would work better there.

There has always been a humorous element to the FF comics; especially Ben and Johnny. I think Nolan is a terrific storyteller and the first 2 Batman movies are among my favorite ever made, but I don't think he'd get them quite right.
I actually think Nolan would capture the more serious, hard sci-fi adventurism of Jonathan Hickman and other runs quite well. The guy who pulled this off:

Is the same guy who I can see pulling this off:
fantastic-four-51-1961_0.jpg

06d3ae2e93c0a8933e2adb07cce5399d.jpg

Now Nolan wouldn’t be the guy that you get if you want a movie that emulates the tone of the original Lee/Kirby run(which I suspect the the Jon Watts film will lean more towards) but even the F4 comics can get quite serious and dark. Not to the level of Batman and Daredevil, obviously, but FF comics have stuff in it like Sue losing a child from a miscarriage and things like this:

0qCoj.jpg

Not to mention comics like the miniseries First Family and the Ultimate Fantastic Four can get quite heavy.

And to be honest, I find Nolan’s movies to be pretty optimistic and hopeful. Inception and Intestellar while dramatic, are ultimately hopeful and optimistic movies that aren’t overly dour.

Granted, Marvel will realistically never hire Nolan for a F4 movie as the type of movie Nolan would want to make simply isn’t something Marvel would be interested in making, and the type of movie Marvel would be interested in making is not one Nolan would be interested in making. There is quite a bit of levity in his movies - maybe not enough to fit the general dna of the F4 but he’s far from as bad a choice for the property as some here are making him out to be. Of course, while he wouldn’t be my first choice; I’d still be very curious to watch Nolan’s version of F4 since I’m sure it’d be far more interesting than whatever Watts eventually does with the property. And it’s not like Nolan would bring the same exact approach he brought to Batman as he would the 4. Nolan would understand the FF is a fundamentally different thing than Batman, and more likely make a film that’s more lighter compared to his Batman movies, and likely would make something that’s more or less Interstellar with superheroes.

Last edited:
Did you watch his Justice League on HBO? Absolutely fantastic movie, quite possibly the best comic book adaptation I've ever seen. I know it's heresy to say that in this forum lol...

I would pick Snyder for X-Men or any other epic Marvel ensemble film. If they ever do a revamped Avengers film, he would be my first choice...

As for Nolan, I agree that he would be wrong for FF. In fact, I think both he and his Dark Knight franchise are horribly overrated. I also thought Tenet was terrible. I would give him something more street-level like Daredevil or Moon Knight. His specific brand of melodrama would work better there.

Which aspects of the Nolan trilogy did you not like? If I may ask

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’d be far more curious to watch Nolan’s version of F4 since I’m sure it’d far more interesting than whatever Watts eventually does with the team.

I would definitely agree with that. I still maintain that Nolan isn't right for FF but at least his version would be more interesting than the juvenile, cookie-cutter approach that Watts brought to Spider-Man.

However, money talks. Feige probably assumes that this more family-friendly, basic approach will turn FF into another billion dollar franchise. And he's probably right. I think anything other than a lame, kiddie-centric approach to FF is impossible at this point.

Will we ever get an epic, mature version of Marvel's First Family?

Which aspects of the Nolan trilogy did you not like? If I may ask

It's not so much that I didn't like his Batman movies. I just find his particular style to be dour, obvious, and dull. I've seen each of the films in his Dark Knight trilogy exactly once and never had any desire to revisit them again. In fact, I've never found any of his movies to be particularly rewatchable.

That may say more about me than his films lol...

It's not so much that I didn't like his Batman movies. I just find his particular style to be dour, obvious, and dull. I've seen each of the films in his Dark Knight trilogy exactly once and never had any desire to revisit them again. In fact, I've never found any of his movies to be particularly rewatchable.

That may say more about me than his films lol...

That's a valid opinion.

Richard Donner - Spider-Man
Tim Burton - Doctor Strange
Christopher Nolan - Daredevil
Zack Snyder - Wolverine
Todd Phillips - Magneto

Richard Donner - Spider-Man
Tim Burton - Doctor Strange
Christopher Nolan - Daredevil
Zack Snyder - Wolverine
Todd Phillips - Magneto

Amazing choices! I agree 100% with all of them...

Burton would be an inspired choice for Doctor Strange. I never considered that before!

James Wan - Doctor Strange

Tim Burton - Mojoverse movie

David Cronenberg - The Hulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"