Pick A DC Director To Helm A Marvel Movie Thread

Did you watch his Justice League on HBO? Absolutely fantastic movie, quite possibly the best comic book adaptation I've ever seen. I know it's heresy to say that in this forum lol...

I would pick Snyder for X-Men or any other epic Marvel ensemble film. If they ever do a revamped Avengers film, he would be my first choice...

As for Nolan, I agree that he would be wrong for FF. In fact, I think both he and his Dark Knight franchise are horribly overrated. I also thought Tenet was terrible. I would give him something more street-level like Daredevil or Moon Knight. His specific brand of melodrama would work better there.
this-up.gif

Did you watch his Justice League on HBO? Absolutely fantastic movie, quite possibly the best comic book adaptation I've ever seen. I know it's heresy to say that in this forum lol...

I would pick Snyder for X-Men or any other epic Marvel ensemble film. If they ever do a revamped Avengers film, he would be my first choice...

As for Nolan, I agree that he would be wrong for FF. In fact, I think both he and his Dark Knight franchise are horribly overrated. I also thought Tenet was terrible. I would give him something more street-level like Daredevil or Moon Knight. His specific brand of melodrama would work better there.
I don't want Snyder for any Marvel movies most especially the X-Men.

JL Director's Cut was bloated and I hate the muted colors.

I don't want Snyder for any Marvel movies most especially the X-Men.

JL Director's Cut was bloated and I hate the muted colors.

To each his own. I absolutely loved Snyder's Justice League. The hours flew by like minutes for me, and I wanted to watch it again as soon as it was over...

I would have agreed with you about Snyder before I saw his JL. I didn't like MOS, BVS, or the theatrical version of JL. I suspect that Snyder was mandated by DC to try and copy Nolan's dour, pessimistic take on Batman. The Dark Knight trilogy was a critical and commercial smash so I can understand why DC would want to continue in that direction.

The problem was, Nolan's take might have been fine for Batman, but it didn't translate to all of DC's characters across the board. Snyder's relentlessly grim and gritty take on Superman and the rest of the Justice League felt like an affectation, completely unconvincing. Whedon tried to lighten things up a bit but the damage had already been done.

However, in the space between JL Theatrical and JL Director's Cut, Snyder grew up. I wouldn't want to speculate, but personal tragedy might have had something to do with that. What differentiated his version of the Justice League from his previous DCU films was the element of empathy. He seemed to learn in the interim that the purpose of superheroes is to protect and care about us mere mortals. They were never meant to be senseless avatars bent on mass destruction. I found his new take to be immensely moving and involving.

Again, to each their own. Having said that, if Snyder is ever given the opportunity to direct a big ensemble Marvel movie with his new sensibilities, I'm all in.

Last edited:
To each his own. I absolutely loved Snyder's Justice League. The hours flew by like minutes for me, and I wanted to watch it again as soon as it was over...

I would have agreed with you about Snyder before I saw his JL. I didn't like MOS, BVS, or the theatrical version of JL. I suspect that Snyder was mandated by DC to try and copy Nolan's dour, pessimistic take on Batman. The Dark Knight trilogy was a critical and commercial smash so I can understand why DC would want to continue in that direction.

The problem was, Nolan's take might have been fine for Batman, but it didn't translate to all of DC's characters across the board. Snyder's relentlessly grim and gritty take on Superman and the rest of the Justice League felt like an affectation, completely unconvincing. Whedon tried to lighten things up a bit but the damage had already been done.

However, in the space between JL Theatrical and JL Director's Cut, Snyder grew up. I wouldn't want to speculate, but personal tragedy might have had something to do with that. What differentiated his version of the Justice League from his previous DCU films was the element of empathy. He seemed to learn in the interim that the purpose of superheroes is to protect and care about us mere mortals. They were never meant to be senseless avatars bent on mass destruction. I found his new take to be immensely moving and involving.

Again, to each their own. Having said that, if Snyder is ever given the opportunity to direct a big ensemble Marvel movie with his new sensibilities, I'm all in.
Its a no to me. Most of his movies are poorly received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"