Pirates Of The Caribbean Reboot

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Blitzkrieg, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Silvermoth Avenger

Same, I’m mad for seafaring stories. That’s why I’m always checking out this, the Aquaman and the little mermaid boards/threads. And there’s still a ton of myth left to adapt.

I don’t think the Depp factor is as big of a deal as people might think these days. I mean, him being in the last Harry Potter flick didn’t help them out at all.

it might even be fun to set it before the original films since that was sort of about the end of the golden age of piracy. So maybe this could be the start. I wonder if they’ll change the name slightly like they did with Jurassic Park/world just to make it different and call it the pirates of the pacific or something

2. sueb1863 Registered

Seafaring stories are great, but the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean brand is inextricably tied to Jack Sparrow. If they're going to do pirate stories that don't involve him or anybody from the first set of movies, they need to call it something else, unless they come up with a really great character to replace him. But that's going to be tough.

Now, it could be about Will Turner's adventures, and then they could call it PotC. Orlando Bloom can still pull that character off. But then it'll be a question of, Can they put together a movie like that without Jack Sparrow and still make it profitable?

#102 sueb1863, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  3. LoganGambit87 Registered

its damn near impossible he is an iconic character especially for kids/families(the core audience) and depp still visits sick children dressed as jack
    Johnny Depp surprises children's hospital patients dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  4. Silvermoth Avenger

Nah the ride that inspired the movie existed before Depp. And no matter how many sick kids you visit you can’t undo whacking your wife.

it’s time for something new. Captain jack has run his course anyway. There’s nothing else you can do with him that hasn’t been done. And there’s a whole world of pirates to explore

5. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

They'll get The Rock or something.

6. DarkKnight88 Registered

The easy, safe road.

7. Silvermoth Avenger

Haha it would be fun though. Just seeing him like jump in the water and literally smash his way through a pirate ship like captain marvel through an alien craft

8. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Unfortunately, Will Turner was never that interesting as a character so I wouldn't really be interested in seeing a movie all about him. Sparrow (and to an extent Barbossa) was what made that first Pirates movie work.

TheVileOne likes this.
  9. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

No, they have save the rock for the inevitable crossover. The Disney Ride Cinematic Universe.

Teelie likes this.
  10. Silvermoth Avenger

I kind of agree that will turner is a bit bland. Even brenton Thwaites’ character would be better to come back than him.
    Michael b Jordan might be interesting as a lead. He could play Jack Anderson. Or maybe they could get someone like Tom hardy or whatever if they want a sure thing

11. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Always thought the franchise peaked with Curse of the Black Pearl. Even though the sequels made more money, for me, they never captured the feel of the first one.
    Will be tough to reboot without Sparrow (not Depp, but the character of Jack). Hopefully they'll be able to come up with a completely new character to lead this franchise into new waters (sorry for the pun)

12. Dugath Registered

I do not see the point. POTC = Jack Sparrow/Depp and to be honest the last 2 movies seemed like they were just beating a dead horse to see how much money it craps out.

13. Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder if they could show the leviathan? I suppose people might see it as a pro whaling move. But there’s probably a way to do it in a cool way

[​IMG]

14. Vapor Omlette Du Fromage

They should just cast Tom Hiddleston, Emily Blunt and Kelsey Grammer.

Oh, and call it The Secret of Monkey Island.

Silvermoth and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  15. Albright Registered

I love the setting of the movies.
    the sequels could‘ve worked, if the fight scenes weren‘t to over-the-top and the story twists weren‘t too forced

16. sueb1863 Registered

Agree that the fight scenes just got ridiculous, and not in a good, fun way.

And the first movie worked the best because Jack Sparrow was a supporting character, not the lead. Once they decided that he was going to be the main character, he got overused and stale.

17. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

"I am Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate."

Now a Monkey Island movie is something that would get my attention.

18. Silvermoth Avenger

kelsey grammar would actually be a really fun pirate especially if he goes full Stinky Pete

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I can’t see the original being as big without him. He was easily the character that added the most to the film.

20. terry78 oh my god bear is driving

You do need that wackiness otherwise it's just another pirate movie lol

21. Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder if taika would do it? That might be fun? Or someone else with a wacky sense of humour like Richard ayoade or someone like that

Vapor likes this.
  22. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Yeah like a few others just don't see this working without Depp/Sparrow. Would rather they just didn't bother but money talks and they will undoubtedly try and re-boot this.

Kahran Ramsus and TheVileOne like this.
  23. TheVileOne Registered

Can anyone justify why this is a good idea?

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  24. terry78 oh my god bear is driving

25. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

I think it stands a good chance of losing it.