Pixar's Lightyear - June 17, 2022

I have a feeling this is one of those movies that are enjoyed by adults but not kids as much. I haven’t seen any terrible reviews for the movie so I don’t think it’s bad. Still looking forward to it whenever it’s out on Disney+
Really? Because I've seen so many adult Toy Story fans call this movie underwhelming at best, so I don't think that's quite right.

I have a feeling this is one of those movies that are enjoyed by adults but not kids as much. I haven’t seen any terrible reviews for the movie so I don’t think it’s bad. Still looking forward to it whenever it’s out on Disney+

I said kinda the same thing some pages back. IMO Pixar movies used to be great, but too many of their recent movies have all been for adults more than kids.

Granted, I haven't seen Turning Red or Luca yet. But as good as they were as movies, Soul, Onward, Coco, and Inside Out weren't really kid-oriented. One of the first things I thought after watching Soul was "what 5-10 year old kid is going to understand this movie?!" Onward was a movie for pre-teens at youngest based on its plot of a dead father. Coco was a fantastic movie, but again, the far-removed cultural aspect from most of the US (and it basically dealing with death and dead characters) doesn't make it relatable for most kids. Then with Inside Out, it's basically operating at a level that most young kids simply won't understand (i.e. characters representing emotions) because kids don't even understand their own emotions until they get old enough.

I'm not saying Pixar doesn't make great movies, because they do. But I think they're forgetting too often that their movies need to appeal to and be accessible to kids, otherwise they're going to start alienating them.

And TBH, the trailer for Lightyear reminded me of Planet of the Apes (i.e. an astronaut leaving for space and advancing through time, then meeting hostile characters after landing again). Seriously, whoever came up with this idea for a kid's movie really needed to go back to the drawing board.

Calling it now: this movie will be a hit on Disney+.

And, no, the movie wasn't one of those "dark and gritty reboots". There was a ton of humor. It just seems to have suffered the same fate that befell John Carter: **** marketing and a busy month to be released in.

Calling it now: this movie will be a hit on Disney+

Well, to be fair, what isn’t on streaming lol

And in terms of what appeals to kids, I’m more curious what people who have kids think, not our theories on what kids want. Go to the source lol Walt Disney could appeal to every age group which is what Pixar has been so great at doing so far.

Really? Because I've seen so many adult Toy Story fans call this movie underwhelming at best, so I don't think that's quite right.
Pretty much. I wouldn't rank it nearly as high as the Toy Story movies, including 4 which while I think isn't as near-perfect as the first three is still pretty good regardless. Lightyear is fine for what it is but they really could have done a lot more with it. It felt like they were holding back to save some stuff for a sequel which wouldn't shock me since Pixar's been chasing sequels for a while now regardless of whether or not there's more story to tell.

I think the general audience will like it once they see it on Disney+

I still think that one of the biggest reasons it hasn't done as well as expected is because a lot of the general moviegoers are more conscious of the fact that this will be on Disney+ before the summer is over and if families with small kids are going to the movies this summer at all it'll be for Minions 2.

I'll be curious to see how this thing continues to be received as time passes and it does end up on Disney+. I don't think it'll become a cult classic or big hit even with that. But you never know. I think the biggest issue is that it wasn't a movie that was really desired. And if they really wanted to do this...they were better off just making a film version of that Star Command TV show.

Be nice for the movie if it does get some love once it drops onto Disney+. But not sure I see a movie that will turn things around. Think it has flaws beyond poor marketing and the existence of streaming services.

It will get big initial numbers but I don’t see it being a movie people revisit like the other Pixar movies

So Minions is doing really well despite being family animated movie and having a soon to streaming window. I still really think the D+ release isn't what's hurting Lightyear's box office.

True, the Minions window is 4 months vs the 45 day window for Lightyear. And not "everyone" has Peacock the way "everyone" has Disney+. But I still think there's something to be said that that's not the primary reason for the box office disappointment

EDIT: And it also speaks to good marketing vs what they did with Lightyear. Universal is going OD with the viral meme/guerrilla marketing for Minions 2

Last edited:
Saw this the other week and it's fine. Trailers had me expecting B-tier Pixar, and that's basically what it is. Probably bottom of that pack for me, but it's perfectly fine. However, it really felt like a Disney+ movie more than a "the first IMAX Pixar movie" kind of deal. After a pretty solid first half hour, it becomes confined to one pretty lacklustre world where I think something more spacefaring would have been preferable (broadly speaking, within the confines of this narrative it wouldn't make sense really).

So non-cam rips of this just popped up in the torrents and it's not on any marketplace...Disney+ getting a surprise release this weekend?

Can't for the life of me figure why this leaked so early. It hasn't been released on any platform.

Can't for the life of me figure why this leaked so early. It hasn't been released on any platform.

Yeah, I don’t know how HD quality leaks are out already. I’m going to wait until the official Disney+ release though.

Caught this on Disney+. Can see why it tanked. It’s kind of boring by the numbers? It’s definitely not a comedy like Toy Story which was expected. But doesn’t really feel like Buzz either. Kids is expecting a silly Buzz who is a bit obtuse aren’t getting that here.

5/10

Despite a good first act, I just did not care for this story at all. It’s a generic space adventure with a tiresome Macguffin. The twist with Zerg was bad, and once it was revealed I zoned out for the rest of the movie. If it wasn’t for Cars this would be Pixar’s worst.

Yeah there’s just no heart in this. It’s so by the numbers. And Evans is just flat as Buzz. He’s definitely not a good voice actor. His range consisted of just sounding stoic the whole time.

Yeah, there was nothing outright terrible about it but it was painfully dull and pedestrian at times. All rather forgettable in the end. Sox was the only real standout with a few actual funny moments but the rest was rather uninspired, glad I didnt pay money to watch it in a cinema.

I watched this yesterday and….I was bored with it guys and i dont know why! Technically its well done, well voiced acted, affable characters, beautiful effects, a more or less straightforward story…but i felt nothing. As the movie kept going i kept thinking “something’s MISSING here but i dont know what!”

I watched this yesterday and….I was bored with it guys and i dont know why! Technically its well done, well voiced acted, affable characters, beautiful effects, a more or less straightforward story…but i felt nothing. As the movie kept going i kept thinking “something’s MISSING here but i dont know what!”

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"