Political Prejudice: Gay, Black, Or Atheist Republicans

I believe that a person black, gay, or atheist person should be just as exempt from judgement for their political beliefs as anybody else. That's why I said I don't think it's right for me to feel this way. I'm just admitting how I feel.

I feel that we should all be able to look at things and learn from them, and be liberal because of it regardless of whether were Christain, black or gay.

I get the feelings I get because these people are actually victims of the problem yet they propogate the problem and help pass it along, so I end up feeling angrier. But the reality is that these problems hurt us all even if were not black, Christain, or gay. I'm straight, yet unhappiness has fallen on me because of things that happened to my sister for being gay. As a young kid I was protected from harm, because of my friend who was black. I benefited from not being racist. That's what I mean when I say those things hurt us all. As a white man, racism could have hurt me. It didn't because me and my friend weren't racist, but it could have.
right, I get what you're saying, and didn't mean to come off as sounding judgemental on you or anything. I am sure a lot of people feel the same way you do, and while it isn't the "right" way to feel IMO, it is very normla to feel that way becausse of our political climate. Our policticains put their personal beliefs above the political beliefs that they are supposed to be fighting for/upholding/whatever. Until the actual politicians get their **** together and just focus on actual politics instead of their gay neighbor, then MANY people will still feel the way you do, which is unfortunate IMO.

BTW, I thought while we're on this subject, many consider Jesus a liberal.

"Of cource he is--he needs a shave and a haircut, he walks with the poor, he's compassionate, he has a hooker friend--he's Ted Kennedy, this guy!"
-- Bill Maher.

:woot:

And yeah, Spider-Bite, I think you're the only one with this political prejudice--well, on this board, at least. Just because the black Republican's ancestors were slaves back in the day, doesn't mean he should still be pissed off about it now. Just because a guy's gay, doesn't mean he can't like the original premise of the Republican party, which is COMPLETELY different from those who're actually in-office who call themselves Republican.

Also, one can argue that, what with the Jewish authorities being so corrupt and basically in bed with the Romans, who themselves were *******s, Jesus was the only way at the time.

Never thought about that, but it's another interesting thought.

There's probably some black/gay/atheist people out there who are rich, believe in capital punishment, are against gun control, and don't like the influx of immigrants. Those beliefs have nothing to do with race, sexual orientation, or religion.

Did the bullies not mess with you because you had a black friend, or was your friend simply bigger than the bully

In comedy and some media, I admit that liberals come off as more likeable and open to things and the conservatives as these evil vampiric bloodsuckers. I'm sure that's not the case, but if you look at any female/minority repubs, some people give them a double take because some of the issues that they face aren't really addressed or are opposed by conservatives, so that's where that kind of stems from. My entire, and I mean extended family as well, are all straight democrats. I do not have a single republican relative. And if we had one, they'd probably get chewed out immensely. I tend to swing lightly liberal myself, but I'm not in agreement with all the stances.

Did the bullies not mess with you because you had a black friend, or was your friend simply bigger than the bully

Tougher. Well actually most of my friends were black at that time, and my closest were actually kind of tough. But the incident that came to mind was when I was 12 there was this kid who was like 14, but he seriously looked like he was a buff 20 year old. Tall, built, mustache and everything. And he was going to fight me, but my black friend named Dedgerick, totally came to my aide, and the two of us whipped his ass.

It's funny that we were kids, and the fight was over marbles, but this kid, had a record. He had hurt some people who were adults, and if it wasn't for my friend, I might have gotten hurt.

So the bullies didn't mess with you because you had a friend bigger than them.

His skin color was a minor thing, compared to his size which was the major thing

So the bullies didn't mess with you because you had a friend bigger than them.

His skin color was a minor thing, compared to his size which was the major thing

No he wasn't that big at all. The relation to skin that I meant was that had it not been for people like Martin Luther King, me and Dedgerick never would have been friends, and I've have been on my own that day. What I'm saying is that racism hurts us all, whether your white or black, and decades ago conservatives were wrong on segregation.

This is just an example of why I know I'm wrong to feel the way I do about black, atheist, or gay conservatives. They are no more wrong than white Christain straight conservatives.

And the conservatives back during segregation were members of the Democratic party.

It's called history junior.

But then, I forget that rational thought is useless when dealing with a person that has an uncanny phobia, hatred, disgust, and overpowering negative feelings toward a particular group

For some reason I always feel bothered or offended when I hear about or meet a black, gay, or atheist republican. I just feel like WTF is wrong with you? How could you? How dare you?

I know it isn't right for me to feel that way. Those things shouldn't even matter.

I look at black republicans and say "How can you not be liberal after what happened to your grandfather. And gays? I say the same thing. Look at what's happening. And atheists, I feel like they just don't have any excuse. I don't really feel like that towards Hippie Hunter though.

When I see this black political analyst on MSNBC a lot, who's name I can't remember, defending republicans on everything I just feel so angry. I feel like he's a traitor to his own race. That's kind of how I feel about black, gay, or atheist republicans. I feel like they are traitors.

Am I the only person that feels this way?

Republicans aren't as racist as you think. Remember that several prominent positions have been held by black Republicans (Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, Alan Keyes, Rod Paige, Clarence Thomas). Obviously there are disgusting racists out there and most happen to be Republicans.

And I dare you to say that to 50 Cent :oldrazz:

Although I can see where you're comming from with the gay and athiest Republicans. Especially since the neo-cons have been so intwined with the evangellicals and pretty much hate gays.

This is from the Log Cabin Republicans webpage on why many gay and even athiest Republicans support the Republican Party:

Who We Are
Log Cabin Republicans is the nation's largest organization of Republicans who support fairness, freedom, and equality for gay and lesbian Americans. Log Cabin has state and local chapters nationwide, full-time staff in California, New York City, and Washington, DC, and a federal political action committee.
What We Believe
We are loyal Republicans. We believe in limited government, strong national defense, free markets, low taxes, personal responsibility, and individual liberty. Log Cabin represents an important part of the American family—taxpaying, hard working people who proudly believe in this nation's greatness. We also believe all Americans have the right to liberty and equality. We believe equality for gay and lesbian people is in the finest tradition of the Republican Party. We educate our Party about why inclusion wins. Opposing gay and lesbian equality is inconsistent with the GOP's core principles of smaller government and personal freedom.
Why We Exist
Log Cabin Republicans work to make the Republican Party more inclusive, particularly on gay and lesbian issues. Equality will be impossible to achieve without Republican votes. Working from inside the Party—educating other Republicans about gay and lesbian issues—is the most effective way to gain new Republican allies for equality. Log Cabin also exists as a voice for GOP values among members of the gay and lesbian community.

And the conservatives back during segregation were members of the Democratic party.

It's called history junior.

But then, I forget that rational thought is useless when dealing with a person that has an uncanny phobia, hatred, disgust, and overpowering negative feelings toward a particular group

That's why I didn't say republicans in that post. I said conservatives. There are conservative democrats out there. Just like there are libetarian republicans.

Republicans aren't as racist as you think. Remember that several prominent positions have been held by black Republicans (Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, Alan Keyes, Rod Paige, Clarence Thomas). Obviously there are disgusting racists out there and most happen to be Republicans.

Yes but a person living in "black America" should not vote for the party that opposes AA bringing white and black America into one America. They should not vote for the party that insults Atheists or practices bigotry and oppression towards gays, after having been oppressed themselves. They should know better because of their own history.

And I dare you to say that to 50 Cent :oldrazz:
I would from a distance.

Although I can see where you're comming from with the gay and athiest Republicans. Especially since the neo-cons have been so intwined with the evangellicals and pretty much hate gays.

This is from the Log Cabin Republicans webpage on why many gay and even athiest Republicans support the Republican Party:

[/quote]

I feel that the log cabin's goal of informing republicans from within the party isn't going to do any good. It would probably take churches to inform them from within their own party. It's probably going to take church leaders to start talking about what Jesus said about acceptance and not judging. And within the youth community liberals are making it popular and cool to accept, which will effect younger republicans.

I also believe that what Democrats need to do is actually stand up and say

If a gay couple wants to buy a house with white picket fence, buy a family dog, lift a few kids out of foster care and give them a home, and make their relationship sacred by getting married, than I say they have strong family values, which is worth more than gold in today's America.

They need to do this instead of just opposing a constitutional ammendmant. Elizabeth Edwards has come out and admitted she supports gay marriage.

If someone votes for a party you're not a fan of, tough ****.

Welcome the great concept of "the right to vote for whomever you ****ing choose".

Toodles

Yes but a person living in "black America" should not vote for the party that opposes AA bringing white and black America into one America. They should not vote for the party that insults Atheists or practices bigotry and oppression towards gays, after having been oppressed themselves. They should know better because of their own history.
And what if there is a black person who beleives that Affirmative Action supports one over the other (which it does by the way). There are people who beleive in complete equality and that race, gender, etc. should have no effect on a person's status. Affirmative Action just reinforces this.

I would from a distance.
:oldrazz:

I feel that the log cabin's goal of informing republicans from within the party isn't going to do any good. It would probably take churches to inform them from within their own party. It's probably going to take church leaders to start talking about what Jesus said about acceptance and not judging. And within the youth community liberals are making it popular and cool to accept, which will effect younger republicans.

I also believe that what Democrats need to do is actually stand up and say

They need to do this instead of just opposing a constitutional ammendmant. Elizabeth Edwards has come out and admitted she supports gay marriage.
It's not like the Log Cabin Republicans are going out and supporting the Bush Administration, they actually stated that they do not. We support the core ideals of the Republican Party, which have already been mentioned. Social policy changes with the times, this gay marriage, abortion, etc. crap will go away eventually. But a strong military, fiscal responsibility, the size of government, etc. that is what is going to affect us in the long term

Spider-Bite said:
For some reason I always feel bothered or offended when I hear about or meet a black, gay, or atheist republican. I just feel like WTF is wrong with you? How could you? How dare you?

I know it isn't right for me to feel that way. Those things shouldn't even matter.

I look at black republicans and say "How can you not be liberal after what happened to your grandfather. And gays? I say the same thing. Look at what's happening. And atheists, I feel like they just don't have any excuse. I don't really feel like that towards Hippie Hunter though.

When I see this black political analyst on MSNBC a lot, who's name I can't remember, defending republicans on everything I just feel so angry. I feel like he's a traitor to his own race. That's kind of how I feel about black, gay, or atheist republicans. I feel like they are traitors.

Aren't liberals supposed to be open-minded and tolerant of other people's views?

Addendum said:

Welcome the great concept of "the right to vote for whomever you ****ing choose".

Exactly!

I feel like they are traitors.

Supremacy.:trans:

gay republicans do offend me.. i just dont understand it.. they dont have to be democratic.. but republican and gay ,just doesnt make sense at all to me

It also comes from the myth that conservatives are uptight and boring, and not open to anything at all. For any Hype repubs, has this view ever been used to describe you by anyone that knows your stance? It shouldn't have any bearing, but there are quite a few political stances in the conservative arena that may clash with "pop culture" type things.

Toodles

You really think you had to tell me that? I never said the government should prosecute somebody for their beliefs.

Welcome to the concept of I have the right not to like what somebody does. They have the right to vote however they want, and I have the right not to like it, and to say I dont' like it.

Aren't liberals supposed to be open-minded and tolerant of other people's views?

Exactly!

I can tear somebody's belief to shreds if I want to. Just because I'm open minded doesn't mean I have to embrace and love the fact that others are narrow minded.

And yet you have the same mindset

How do I have the same mindset? I believe in looking at everything scientifically and then choosing what is best based on the evidence and agrument.

It is ridiculous to try and say that I am narrow minded. I explore everything from multiple angles and constantly reevaluate and ask myself am I sure? I continually try to find a way I could be wrong or a way my opponents could be right. I have proven many times that I am capable of thinking outside the box.

As far as black, gay, and atheist republicans getting under my skin? I clearly said in the first post

and I again said

I believe that a person black, gay, or atheist person should be just as exempt from judgement for their political beliefs as anybody else. That's why I said I don't think it's right for me to feel this way. I'm just admitting how I feel.

I feel that we should all be able to look at things and learn from them, and be liberal because of it regardless of whether were Christain, black or gay.

I would also ask you to read this post.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=12094794&postcount=49

Addendum said:
And yet you have the same mindset

Exactly!

He's close-minded and hypocritical. I've been trying to illustrate this for a long time and he still doesn't acknowledge it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"