Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. POLL: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dead Pool: Which main character will Whedon kill first?

Xeno

That's America's ass!
Reaction score
Since Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is a Joss Whedon production, most fans know that there is a high probability that one or more of the main characters will be killed off in some spectacular manner in the first season. Whedon has said that he doesn't set out with killing in mind but Fred, Wash, Cordelia, Book, Tara, Anya, Buffy's mom, Penny and Agent Coulson himself all beg to differ.

So, who do you think will take a dirt nap first?

My money is on FitzSimmons, one or the other. They're just so damned adorable that offing one or the other will be all but irresistible to Joss. He's probably already rubbing his hands together in gleeful anticipation of the setup: The cutesy kids will spend the first 21 episodes of the season trading quips, being lovable and ingratiating themselves with the audience, and then BAM! One of them gets slaughtered by some rampaging Big Bad in episode 22, shocking fans and leaving the survivor bereft. And there will doubtless be some ultra-sweet scenes just before the bloody denouement, just to increase the pain.

Skye is another one high on the list of probables because she's got that sassy/cute thing going on, too. Ward lacks the cuteness factor, but is in danger of falling prey to the heroic sacrifice gambit. Melinda May isn't likely to die, in my estimation, though killing her off might be a great Whedonesque shocker (think Buffy's mom, only badass).

Agent Coulson is the only one who is (probably) safe, though it's not out of the question that he'll be killed again just to prove a point.

Vote in the poll and discuss the future corpses below. :cwink:

I say NONE because it's a show just starting out, with a chance of these Characters showing in the films.
I say leave it alone for awhile, so the audience can get to know the Characters. I can see having one of the super powered people they look for die from their new found powers like in X-Files on occasion, but leave the main cast alone.

None of the characters will get killed off until at least season 3.

I say one of them gets it by the 20th episode

Coulson gets killed off at the end of every season and replaced by a new LMD. He's always like "Wait, guys, what just happened?" and they're all "Nothiiiiiing" and they all have a laugh together, but he suspects something... he suspects something. :o

I say NONE because it's a show just starting out, with a chance of these Characters showing in the films.
I say leave it alone for awhile, so the audience can get to know the Characters. I can see having one of the super powered people they look for die from their new found powers like in X-Files on occasion, but leave the main cast alone.

If the writer/producer were anyone but Whedon I would agree with you. But the man is talking openly about the conditions for killing off one of the Avengers in AoU, so I don't think he'd hesitate to pull the trigger on Agents of SHIELD. Frankly, I think that killing off major characters is often done without consideration for the potential they still have, in the name of "creating story" for the survivors or drama for the audience.

He only kills main core characters either if its the end, or possible end, unless he is going to resurrect them somehow. Most of his killings are secondary characters, as important as they may be. His only exception was a behind the scenes problem. In movies, he didnt know if he even as going to continue towards a sequel, so its like kinda at the end. And even then, he claims in Avengers it was a request and in Serenity it was a problem with the actors agent that motivate them. At least, thats what he says... true or not.

If you want carnage, some japanese space operas make Whedon look like a nice guy incapable of hurting a fly... :woot:

The adorable Fitz-Simmons team is just BEGGING to be broken up in the most awful manner possible. Either by death or a reveal of either one as a HYDRA agent.

The Show hasn't started yet, so we can't know, we'll probably have to wait for a while.

The adorable Fitz-Simmons team is just BEGGING to be broken up in the most awful manner possible. Either by death or a reveal of either one as a HYDRA agent.
Adorable? Really?

J-Mo stating that they love writing Fitz-Simmons and more or less based the characters on themselves gives me hope that they won't kill either of them off any time soon. Plus the mere fact that it seems so predictable means they'll surely want to avoid it.

Yeah one of the Fitz-Simmons team was what sprung to mind for me too.

The real question will be which one?

J-Mo stating that they love writing Fitz-Simmons and more or less based the characters on themselves gives me hope that they won't kill either of them off any time soon. Plus the mere fact that it seems so predictable means they'll surely want to avoid it.

When one of the Whedon team states that they like writing for characters, that's when they're most endangered. Someone questioned calling Fitz/Simmons "adorable" but they are undeniably being presented as a cutesy duo, which is another red flag. Never forget that Whedon and Feige deliberately set about to make Coulson likable before killing him off. You gotta fatten the calf before it's worth slaughtering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"