Poll: THE BATMAN

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Binker, Feb 13, 2006.

?

Poll: THE BATMAN

1. LOVE

2. LIKE

3. DISLIKE

4. HATE

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hunter_hippie Registered

I would have been interested, if you hadn't posted this SAME information in like, 3 threads here, on LOG, on BYTB, on, well, every forum that you visit. :eek:

You seem to want the crew of BTAS to like The Batman so much that you'll do anything to prove your point that it's an ok show. Why?

2. hunter_hippie Registered

I'm back. I'm not sure if some of the posters on this forum will be happy about that though...:unishr:

3. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Unbelievable.

4. hunter_hippie Registered

See how ridiculous it sounds? Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Just because it doesn't match up to the version you grew up with does not make the show suck. Maybe all you kids that grew up with BTAS (and unfortunately, it's all you know) should go to a comic store and buy some old back issues. Learn your history. It'll only help you in the long run.

5. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Kids, lol. Either way ill take Mr Freezes BTAS origin over the genric robber origin from the comics anyday. I would like you to explain how Joker, Poison Ivy, Bane, Scarecrow in BTAS are so different from their comic counterparts and TB gets them right. *cough*

6. hunter_hippie Registered

I'd like you to tell me what the Joker's origin is.

As far as Ivy, Bane and Scarecrow, I don't recall them ever being shown on TAS.

Ivy: Ivy's origin was shown on TB (but not in BTAS). In that ep, while attacking a corporation guilty of polluting Gotham(?) a plant mutagen was dropped on her. Instead of dying from the mutagen, she gained her powers. (Short and sweet version)

In the comics, her original origin, she was poisoned while participating in a theft. Instead of dying from the herbal poison, she gained her powers.

Bane: In BTAS, Bane was hired by Thorne to eliminate Batman.

In TB, Bane was a hired thug as well. No origin was shown.

Scarecrow - hasn't appeared on TB, so can't compare.

Manbat - more closely resembles the comic origin.
    Freeze - more closely resembles the comic origin.
    Penguin - BTAS and TB both are true to this character's comic origins.
    Clayface - BTAS combined many origins into one. TB - made up a new Clayface, similar to Two Face.
    Firefly - BTAS - pyrotechnic expert (similar to comic origin) TB - arsonist (similar to comic origin)
    Croc - this character's origin is a cluster. It's constantly been evolving (much like the character) ever since it's beginning. I don't think anyone has gotten him 'right' yet. Neither version - BTAS or TB - is bad imo.
    Scarface/Ventriloquist - Both BTAS and TB are similar to the comic. Close enough for me as this really isn't a character I care too much about.
    Hugo Strange - no 'origin' shown on TB, but the character is right, as it was on BTAS.
    Cluemaster - who really cares about his origin?

7. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Poison Ivy like Harley Quinn was first created in BTAS though.

That is one of the few "villain origins" I guess you could say is ok. Only because there are so many Clayfaces out there.

8. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

So how exactly does TB get all these villains right again? It seems pretty even to me. And which Joker origin do you want?

9. hunter_hippie Registered

WHAT??? :confused:

Ok. Thanks for playing. We're done here.

Poison Ivy first appeared in Batman #181. That was published in 1966. (A few years prior to BTAS being on the air. :D )

10. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

In some thread that has to do with The Batman there was someone that kept comparing it to how Marvel has like Ultimate Spider-Man. I guess in a sense this show is like that in which so much is different and changed about characters and their origins. Only reasons why I have had a problem with it is cause not like there is an "Ultimate Batman" or whatever you or DC would like to call it in the comics for all of these character changes to occur.

But ya...I do not like TB's Joker at all.

11. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Whoops. Another one of those things I asked the older brother about without checking myself. My mistake there.

12. hunter_hippie Registered

In the case of Manbat and Freeze (the two most cited examples of how The Batman is a horrible show) it has gotten the characters right. The others are a wash, since they're very similar.

As far as a Joker origin, that, again, was my point. There really isn't ONE origin. There are many origins - some similar - but, no one knows for sure which one is correct, as the Joker himself said in The Killing Joke.

13. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Most recently though it seems like theyre leaning with the red Hood origin.

14. hunter_hippie Registered

Based on your statement about Ivy, you no longer get to participate in this discussion. Sorry.

15. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

And in Hush Returns the Joker sort of tells his origin again sort of.

16. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

****! My god what is your problem! One mistake and all this disrespect and negative feedback. I remember reading in some thread about hippie_hunter asking where you were and you replying "I'm back for now blah blah blah"...No wonder you mentioned how some people might not be happy..you are almost as bad as the damn Spiderfreddie guy. If you just got back from being banned you were not banned long enough.

I would not even be surprised if you were the same damn person as him you jerk. You seem to talk like him only you have good grammar when typing your replies.

17. hunter_hippie Registered

I just don't tolerate people that talk and talk and talk and don't have fact to back up their opinion.

Good thing Ivy was created by the BTAS team though. I might just add that to my sig....

That's some memory you've got there, considering I just posted that today.

Nope. Not Spiderfreddie. Oh, and I wasn't banned - just didn't have time to come engage in these types of highly intellectual debates with you and Socko. :rolleyes:

18. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

I did not put word for word because I did not want to actually go back and find the post and quote what you said exactly. I did not care for doing so, I just figured if I put the beginning of it you would know what post of yours I was talking about.

19. hunter_hippie Registered

Anyway, yes, they have been playing with that origin recently. A minor tweak here, a tweak there, and they just might have something - especially now that they're doing OYL storylines.

20. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

O gosh you did put that as your signature...that was one small mistake...not like people do not make mistakes and I even said I was wrong about that. Please remove that.

21. droogiedroogie2 Registered

Yeah, but when they changed stuff it was better. That's why the comics adopted so many of the changes. What The Batman has done, is gone back to ridiculous, ******ed Silver Age origins that made about as much sense as the 1985 World Series.

Manbat and Freeze suck, sure, but MY biggest problem with the show is Batman himself, and the Joker. Sorry, but the Joker is not a ****ing skate punk. The Joker has some style and panache to him, and he always has. Origins aside, the first Joker stories showed that guy as a maniac, sure, but he had class to him. He dressed sharp. Where's that Joker now in The Batman?

There is a canonical origin for the Joker now, at least I feel that there is. A recent Gotham Knights arc pretty well canonized a slightly modified Killing Joke story as his origin.

He's right, man. In a discussion as historically oriented as this, you shouldn't participate unless you know your history. While he said it in harsher words, the thrust of his gist is that you have displayed a shallow understanding of the character's history, as well as a tendency to lean on secondhand information instead of having read the comics or watched the episodes yourself. Many of us have the primary sources right in front of us, while you have, at best, a secondary source, and most likely a tertiary or quaternary source. For this reason, it would be best for you not to participate in a discussion that relies on historical documentation.

22. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Ya I know I should have known her origin for that part of the conversation but big whoop one mistake. Not like I was getting everyone's origin off.

23. hunter_hippie Registered

True - the only two you said anything about were Harley and Ivy. 50% correct is still 50% wrong...

.500 would be good if you were a baseball player. Bad if you're trying to convince us that you know what you're talking about.

24. hunter_hippie Registered

He's there. He's wearing the purple suit now and his hair is slicked back. He's a homocidal maniac - just like Joker should be. I think they've nailed the essence of the character, if not the look.

Well....sort of. After the original Red Hood story, it started with Killing Joke. LODK took it a step further and really fleshed out his origin. Recently Gotham Knights and The Man Who Laughs one shot fleshed it out a bit more. However, like the Joker said in Killing Joke, "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice." Nothing about Joker's origin is absolute. Heck, we don't really know if anything is correct. (He's almost as bad as Wolverine - not quite, but almost.)

25. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger