Poll: Will You Support Sony's Next Spider-Man Film Without Marvel?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Detective Conan, Aug 22, 2019.

?

Will You Support Sony's Third Spider-Man Film Without Marvel?

1. Yes! I'm fine with it, just give me good movies.

59 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. No! I refuse to support it. Spider-Man belongs with Marvel, not Sony!

63 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

Looks like our worst nightmares for Spider-Man’s cinematic future have become a reality: Unless something changes over the next few weeks; Spidey looks to be ripped away from his Marvel kin once again as it seems that Disney and Sony currently can't come to an agreement to continue to have the webslinger in the MCU after Far From Home. Various outlets have reported that Sony still intends to keep Holland in the lead role and don't plan on a hard reboot for the time being. This makes sense since this version is the most successful take on the character ever; they’re literally coming off the franchise's first ever billion dollar film. Why would you reboot now? Problem is with Sony taking back the character they're immediately back to being restricted to only working with the rights they own meaning there cannot be any ties or references to the wider Marvel Universe as well as no Marvel Studios owned characters like Happy Hogan & Nick Fury appearing.

God forbid even if the third Spider-Man film looks good can it really entice you fans who've become invested in this version of the character enough back to the theater knowing full well that it won't have any real connection to the wider MCU beyond the fact they’re keeping the same actors who were cast in MCU for Sony’s next Spider-Man? Of course, even though MCU Spider-Man has been generally well-liked there are still a vocal minority who are dissatisfied with the MCU's take on the character. Some have dubbed the MCU Spidey "Iron Boy Jr." because they feel that version is too tied to the Iron Man character & comes across as more of his lackey than the truly independent character that he is in the source material. The criticisms range from, "They're making Tony Stark the new Uncle Ben!" to "Spider-Man doesn't need Iron Man's tech!" ,ect. but I thought this was simply a fresh take on the character and didn't mind the changes but I can’t ignore the fact there are people who don't care for this iteration who probably are jumping for joy over this recent development and would more than welcome a potential third Spider-Man film without the House Of Ideas involved.

Maybe they'll call the next movie: "Spider-Man: Left Home Again." They certainly won't call it that but it would fit. So where does does the Hype community stand? Yay or nay to the idea of Sony doing a third Holland Spider-Man-Man film without Marvel involved?

#1 Detective Conan, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

Of course. I see no reason not to.

coreymb16, Elayis and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  3. Bach

Bach Registered

I won't support it but part of the reason also comes from how my view of the MCU has changed these last months. I loved Endgame, but most of the Phase 3 films weren't that remarkable.

Add to that the whole MCU has completely changed its focus to be more fantastic these last few films. That bothers me deeply, especially after finally watching the third season of Daredevil and learning how good it was. Grounded stories like that don't have a place in the MCU anymore.

I guess it's my fault for expecting that from comicbook film adaptations. But at this point I think I don't care anymore, this is my stop for Marvel in general.

4. Iron_Stark

Iron_Stark Pepperony 3000

Yes, of course i will. For multiple reasons.

For years people wanted Spidey in the MCU, when he was finally brought in, all there was, was nothing but crying and complaining about everything. Everything. As an Iron Man fan, it was unbearable to be in the Spider-Man forums because of that. Serves them right that he's not part of the MCU anymore and they can't mention Happy Hogan, Stark tech, etc..

Second Sony is in the right. They stood up to the bully and popped him in the mouth. F%$& Disney.

Last, for me, the MCU died when Marvel/Disney and all of them OK'd the killing of Iron Man. With Spider-Man leaving the MCU, I can fully support Spidey and his movies without giving Disney or the MCU another dime.

Fading likes this.
  5. Steyin

Steyin Bidding you ADIEU!

I hate Sony and have zero faith/trust in them on their own so no.

6. Smurphftw

Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

I have zero interest in an MCU-less Spider-Man.

Shuri, Davy, Leo Zelinsky and 4 others like this.
  7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

8. THORin

THORin Farewell to Agents of SHIELD...

If it’s Sony, I might wait until it comes out to rent or stream, rather than see it in theaters.

Shuri and psylockolussus like this.
  9. CJ

CJ Every Villain Has A Dreamcast

If it's a continuation of the Raimi films, heck yes.

Otherwise, idk. Didn't care for the Garfield or Holland films.

10. Nardz937

Nardz937 In The Chill Of Night

It doesn't matter who makes it, if it's a good film I'll support it

11. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

I honestly don't know.

I'm open to a non-MCU Spiderman as he is in his own little bubble in the comics throughout most of his publishing history anyway and this version felt a bit off in some ways even though I thought Marvel Studios was clever with reinventing things and keeping the character fresh I didn't really find the character as endearing.

However, I don't think Sony can make another reboot as it'd just be redundant. Things have to continue MCU wise for the character. Otherwise, just focus on the 2099 universe until something gets worked out. ;)

#11 Hello2016, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  12. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

I will support Sony's Spider-Man, even if they reboot or recast Spider-Man but I'm still hoping that Sony and Marvel will will reach a settlement and we can have Spidey in MCU movies.

Fading and Davy like this.
  13. IncognitoX

IncognitoX Mutant

I'd prefer for new deal to stay in the MCU but yeah I'll support. I did it before even though I didn't like Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2

I love the first 2 Raimi films and Into The Spider-Verse

Fading and Davy like this.
  14. Bayne

Bayne Registered

Impossible to say at this time. If the trailers look like a good movie, then I'll consider seeing it. If they leave me with any doubt whatsoever, Sony hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt, so no.

Davy and CJ like this.
  15. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I'll take it one film at a time if I hear it's good I'll check it out. But I voted no

Davy and psylockolussus like this.
  16. m2k

m2k Registered

Nope. Not interested in another reboot at this moment (even with Holland), with most likely familiar story beats that Sony has gone thru before. I'm more interested in Spidey progressing and growing in the Mcu and becoming one of the main cogs of the next Avengers more than anything.

The beauty of the Mcu are stakes can go from high to low, and stories grounded to fantastical, when going from the heroes solo films to then the team-up films. U lose that dynamic under the helm of Sony. It's kind of hard going back to that.

17. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

I'd rather Spider-Man stayed in the MCU but I'll watch any Spider-Man movie in theatres.

18. spider-neil

Also, people dump on Sony but for me, Into the Spider-Verse is better than the vast majority of MCU and that movie was done on Sony's watch.

The Whizzer, Fading and Stormborn like this.
  19. Charzhin0

Charzhin0 Registered

Sonys record is hit and miss but I will support them. I didnt love or hate Hollands Spiderman, he was just a big meh. Both Homecoming and Far from Home are average, run of the mill, forgetable movies.They changed too many things about classic Spidey for me from major changes like million dollar suits and Ironmans heavy influence to nitty things like making a fake MJ and a dweeby Flash. I only enjoyed Spidey when he was in the ensemble crossovers. If Sony can give us a young adult Peter Parker with a academic job protecting NY against threats (Venom?) and give us back classic red head MJ and such, then I am all for it. Basically a live action version of the Spiderman PS4 game.

20. spider-neil

What the MCU has is the crossover potential.

What excites you more?
    Spider-Man - Fantastic Four - X-Men - Daredevil - Deadpool
    Spider-Man - Sinister Six - Venom - Spider-Verse (Garfield/Holland/Maguire)

21. Bayne

Bayne Registered

I think Into the Spider-verse was good, but somewhat overrated. And I strongly suspect it was only as good as it was because the worst elements of Sony's corporate culture weren't throwing their weight around to micromanage an animated film that was never expected to light the box office on fire. Anyone expecting Spider-verse quality from Sony's live action franchise is quite likely in for an unpleasant surprise.

22. Speed Force

Speed Force Hope, help and compassion

Black Widow is going to be more grounded

As far as supporting Sony, yes. No matter what I'll always see a Spider-Man movie in theaters

23. spider-neil

You're welcome to your opinion of course but for me Into the Spider-Verse is a masterpiece. One of my all-time favorite movies. Sure, attempting to replicate that in live-action would be difficult but you could hire the same writers to pen the new Spider-Man movie.

Stormborn and Speed Force like this.
  24. The forest gate

The forest gate Registered

Why in the next few days. More like the next couple of months before things move that the third film cannot be be made into the MCU.

#24 The forest gate, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  25. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I'll watch it when it hits the theaters as I've seen every Marvel film.

But support is a strong word. I'm not supporting it. I've seen a lot ofbad films out of curiosity or films that made me question on why they made it in the first place but it didn't mean that I supported it.

THORin likes this.