Poll: Will You Support Sony's Next Spider-Man Film Without Marvel?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Detective Conan, Aug 22, 2019.

?

Will You Support Sony's Third Spider-Man Film Without Marvel?

1. Yes! I'm fine with it, just give me good movies.

59 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. No! I refuse to support it. Spider-Man belongs with Marvel, not Sony!

64 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Bayne Registered

You're welcome to yours, as well, of course.

And I'm not inclined to believe it's at all that difficult to make a Spider-man movie as good as (or better than) ItSV in live action. I just don't believe for a second that the Sony leadership will actually do that. They could, indeed, hire the same writers, but I doubt they will. And even if they did, they would still be sticking their noses into the creative process trying to 'fix' what the writers are doing, or vetoing good ideas that they just don't get, or screwing with the budget or the marketing, etc, etc. Rothman and Arad have a long history of this, and Spider-man 3 will be too important to their bottom line for them to ever be able to just sit back and let the people who know what they're doing get on with their jobs.

2. spider-neil spins a web any size!

They didn't interfere in Spider-Man 2 or Into the Spider-Verse so they are capable of being hands off.

3. Boom I got nothin'

If it looks like a good movie.

4. Bayne Registered

Spider-verse wasn't big enough to catch executives attention. And when Spider-man 2 came out, Rothman was busy screwing with the X-men movies, Elektra, forcing the Alien and Predator franchises to have a PG 13 rating, etc (he worked for Fox back then). Also, Sony's a lot more desperate today then they were in 2004. They've been chasing the franchise dream and failing miserably for over a decade now, and their big budget franchise attempts seem to keep getting sloppier as time goes by (IMO, obviously)

Webfoot Hero and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  5. OB12 Registered

Nope, sorry can't do it. Spider-Man belongs in the MCU as the character just makes it feel complete and fleshed out. I have no interest in their Venomverse, but maybe I'll check it out when it comes on TV.

6. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I voted 'yes', but the real answer is more complex than that.

I'm not a huge Spider-man fan and before Marvel got involved, I was losing interest. After Marvel stepped in, it reinvigorated my interest and I've thoroughly enjoyed the last two films.

Even if Watts and Holland are making the next film and it is a continuation, my interest will just naturally drop. And if it's a whole new effort, I'm going to be skeptical and a hard sell.

I won't 'boycott' Sony efforts, but I'm just less likely to spend my time and money seeing them. And Sony will have a harder time convincing me to do so than if Marvel had still been involved.

Bottom line - if nothing had changed, I'd be 90% likely to see the next film.

At this moment, knowing only what we currently know, that drops to maybe 40-50%.

Docker2.0 and Shuri like this.
  7. Stormborn Friendly Neighbourhood Thunder God

An Into the Spider Verse sequel?
    Definitely. Spider-Verse 1 was the best Spidey film there's ever been and everyone who's been saying "Sony can't make good Spider-Man films" this week needs to watch it.

Another Tom Holland/Jon Watts movie minus the MCU references?
    I haven't enjoyed the MCU's take on Spidey so far so change could be a good thing. They won't be able to make the plot revolve around Spidey being Iron Man's naive rookie protege for the third film in a row.

Another reboot?

If the trailer/reviews were promising then sure.

Venom 2 and other spin offs?
    I'm not interested. I still haven't seen the first Venom.

#32 Stormborn, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  8. MahvelBaby! Registered

They'll ruin spider-verse eventually too

Deck Rickard and psylockolussus like this.
  9. Stormborn Friendly Neighbourhood Thunder God

Maybe but that could happen either way. I'm not convinced Disney are better at handling Spidey than Sony are.

Into the Spider Verse and the first two Raimi films are all better than Homecoming/Far From Home. Sony also gave us the best Spidey show (Spectacular) and by far the best game (PS4).

I Am The Knight and Fading like this.
  10. Bach Registered

Spider-verse was good but not that great as some people are making it to be.

11. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I have zero faith in Sony producing a good live-action Spider-man movie without Marvel. So to answer this threads question, no. But that doesn't mean I'll feel the same way after a couple years when we get to see the first trailer and get a feel for the movie they're going to make.

12. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

Still haven't seen Venom and won't see any Sony movie going forward

Docker2.0 likes this.
  13. Darkprime Registered

I was already ignoring Sony Marvel films so its nothing new to me. Unless the Far From Home sequel gets really good reviews then maybe...

14. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Yeah, I'd probably go see it. There are plenty of things to cry about (no more MCU teamups, etc) but honestly, a movie where Tom Holland's Spidey finally stands on his own two legs? That's pretty legit if you ask me.

I'm also very interested in the Serkis-directed Carnage flick (especially if Holland co-stars).

I'm no apologist for Sony for ASM2 or SM3. But I also don't support Disney's role in this and would still hope the next Spidey flick is good.

Stormborn likes this.
  15. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

If Arad's production team is involved then hell no. If it's not Feigi then they need a new production team. I am also not at all interested in venom or carnage. If it's a sinister 6 film I'll see it.

Docker2.0 likes this.
  16. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

No. I love Spiderman but he's not even in my top 10 marvel characters. I lost interest in Spiderman after the Raimi Spiderman movies. I still haven't seen the Amazing Spiderman movies. The only reason I got invested in this Spiderman is because he's in the MCU, take that away and I'm back to not caring again. If Holland and Zendaya are still attached to it, then I'll stream it after it leaves the theatre, If not, I won't bother.

psylockolussus, Docker2.0 and THORin like this.
  17. Kahran Ramsus Registered

I voted no, because I have a feeling it will come down to that. If they do get really good reviews, I will change my mind, but I have no faith in Rothman or Arad, let alone both of them together. It has nothing to do with Spidey not being in the MCU (I do think Sony is justified in turning Disney down) and entirely to do with my lack of confidence in Sony actually succeeding in making something worthwhile watching. While technically speaking, I suppose I should have voted yes in that I'm not angry with Sony and this isn't a boycott, but I don't feel like that accurately reflects how I feel about supporting these films. Neither does no, but it seems the closer of the two options.

Shuri, THORin, Flint Marko and 2 others like this.
  18. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I can't support it. Sony has shown zero ability to handle Spidey on their own. TASM movies sucked, they interfered in the Raimi movies so much that he didn't want to come back, wanted to do an Aunt May as a spy movie.........and those are the ones we know about. Not to mention their other horrible ideas like Ghostbusters 2016, 21 Jump Street meets MIB, the MIB remake and Terminator remake. The only reason Venom did what it did is because a lot of people was convinced it was in the MCU, had Tom Hardy, and came out at Halloween and had horror elements to it.

psylockolussus likes this.
  19. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Yeah I don't get it either. I thought my mind would be blown but it is so overrated. Good........but overrated.

20. MahvelBaby! Registered

Starting to lean to a hard no the more I learn of what's transpired.

THORin and psylockolussus like this.
  21. Darkprime Registered

I'm surprised the fan base seems so split on this I thought it would be a resounding no.

22. Sony23 Registered

No. Not interested in a Spider-Man film knowing this same incarnation no longer interacts with other Marvel characters.

23. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I'm shocked as well. If you look at the internet and Twitter, most seem to back up Disney/Marvel. I still think this hurts Sony way more in the long run. If they go alone without Marvel and there is ANYTHING in the Spidey franchise they are not happy with, I can see the next Spidey movie peaking at $800M WW and that is not good for this franchise. Spiderman has already had 7 movies, 8 if you count into the Spiderverse and needs the MCU to remain fresh. Him being an alone hero doesn't cut it anymore.

Shuri and psylockolussus like this.
  24. Darkprime Registered

Agreed. And Tbh I think its only a matter of time before SPE either goes bankrupt or is acquired by a larger company. Spider-Man is their biggest franchise. But even then that can only keep them a float for so long. So really they can either hang on a few more years until they screw up again ala amazing spider-man 2 or they get acquired and the rights revert anyway. So they might as well do a deal with Disney now and get some benefit out of it.

25. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

It was okay. I didn't like the animation.