Post-Battinson: Rank Your Top 5 Batman Movies

Not sure if it's objectively a problem just some things I dislike personally.

I'm actually really curious to see how this thing ages. After I saw the film I was so pleased that I originally had it right after TDK as best Batman film. But after seeing it a second time and thinking about it more, I'm like I can't put it ahead of BB.

What about the film isn't quite sitting well with you?

I'm actually really curious to see how this thing ages. After I saw the film I was so pleased that I originally had it right after TDK as best Batman film. But after seeing it a second time and thinking about it more, I'm like I can't put it ahead of BB.

What about the film isn't quite sitting well with you?

I don't really like how the Wayne story plays out and I feel like the Bruce Wayne concept they had needed more screentime to really flesh it out.
Jim Gordon performance from Jeffrey Wright aside doesn't really have much depth in my opinion I was expecting a more grey Jim like the marketing had said someone who isn't all good but desires to be better.

Oswald Cobblpot was hilarious but I kinda wish he was a bit more threatening.

My most controversial one probably is that I think Riddler starts off as one of the best comic book villans of all time but as the movie goes one gets less and less interesting.

I don't buy his backstory or motivation seems a bit muddled to me personally.

I also feel that Batman doesn't really have as much agency as I would have liked in his battle of wits with Riddler.

I just want to make clear though I'm only listing the things I dislike so far in this comment so even though it sounds really negative I still really enjoy this movie.

And still don't think these are "objective" flaw's just things that I personally don't really like.

I don't really like how the Wayne story plays out and I feel like the Bruce Wayne concept they had needed more screentime to really flesh it out.
Jim Gordon performance from Jeffrey Wright aside doesn't really have much depth in my opinion I was expecting a more grey Jim like the marketing had said someone who isn't all good but desires to be better.

Oswald Cobblpot was hilarious but I kinda wish he was a bit more threatening.

My most controversial one probably is that I think Riddler starts off as one of the best comic book villans of all time but as the movie goes one gets less and less interesting.

I don't buy his backstory or motivation seems a bit muddled to me personally.

I also feel that Batman doesn't really have as much agency as I would have liked in his battle of wits with Riddler.

I just want to make clear though I'm only listing the things I dislike so far in this comment so even though it sounds really negative I still really enjoy this movie.

And still don't think these are "objective" flaw's just things that I personally don't really like.

I totally feel you on the Bruce Wayne stuff. One of the reasons BB sold me was just how strong Bale was inside and outside of the suit. I get what Reeves is trying to setup for the sequel, but if Pattinson had more to do outside of his great portrayal of Batman; I feel like it might have legitimately topped BB.

As for the lack of wits between Batman and Riddler.....yeah I can get behind that critique. Oddly enough, I think there was twice as much of that between Batman and Joker in the deleted scene than there was between him and Riddler in the film, lol. I think that's where the criticism of the film falling apart after the brilliant and riveting first two acts come from. The cat and mouse game between Batman and Riddler kind of gets pushed to the side for all the Falcone stuff.

I totally feel you on the Bruce Wayne stuff. One of the reasons BB sold me was just how strong Bale was inside and outside of the suit. I get what Reeves is trying to setup for the sequel, but if Pattinson had more to do outside of his great portrayal of Batman; I feel like it might have legitimately topped BB.

As for the lack of wits between Batman and Riddler.....yeah I can get behind that critique. Oddly enough, I think there was twice as much of that between Batman and Joker in the deleted scene than there was between him and Riddler in the film, lol. I think that's where the criticism of the film falling apart after the brilliant and riveting first two acts come from. The cat and mouse game between Batman and Riddler kind of gets pushed to the side for all the Falcone stuff.
And that's one of the reasons I feel like the Falcone stuff should've either been dropped or the corrupt parents angle. It really halted the momentum for me until Riddler shoots him.

I think it's clear that this version of the Riddler was conceived of because it checks a lot of boxes:

-Gives us a Zodiac/Se7en style serial killer to drive this noir detective take
-The use of riddles and cyphers actually becomes a very engaging way to start revealing all this exposition and backstory on Gotham's corruption
-Some social commentary with his followers and tying that to the impact Batman is having
-Just the fact that Riddler is an iconic Bat-villain who has never been given the 'dark and serious' treatment on film

Eventually that corruption angle has to go somewhere that impacts Bruce. I don't think Reeves' top priority was making this about the cat/mouse of Batman ultimately catching and stopping the Riddler. Cause we are intentionally denied any sense satisfaction in that regard.

But yeah, once it gets to that point-- the movie is juggling a lot, between tying in Selina's backstory with Falcone, Bruce and the Waynes' backstory with Falcone, before pivoting into a third act that becomes more of a superhero film.

I think it's an admirable and ambitious swing in a lot of ways, but similar to how BvS (and I'm NOT comparing this to BvS) kind of underdelivers on the whole "Batman vs Superman" thing and tries to subvert that, I think this movie kind of does something similar with the traditional Batman vs. villain dynamic. Which I don't a problem with on paper-- but yeah, it can you leave you feeling like there's an itch that hasn't been scratched, especially after 3 hours of movie.

Just based on everything. Movie quality, and also childhood love as well as nostalgia

1) TDK
2) B89
3) TB
4) BB
5) TDKR

HM: Batman Forever

1) Batman Begins
2)The Dark Knight
3)The Dark Knight Rises
4)Batman 66
5) Batman 89

HM: Batman Forever.

1) Batman Begins
2)The Dark Knight
3)The Dark Knight Rises
4)Batman 66
5) Batman 89

HM: Batman Forever.

I'm guessing you haven't seen The Batman yet. Or do you just not think very highly of it?

1) The Batman
2) The Dark Knight
3) Batman Begins (almost took the number 2 spot but i have a hard time revisiting origin stories)
4) Batman 89
5) The Dark Knight Rises/Batman Returns tie

I'm guessing you haven't seen The Batman yet. Or do you just not think very highly of it?

I did watch "The Batman" on HBO MAX last week. Yeah you are right, I dont think very highly of it. I didn't hate it, I just didn't think it was that good. Mostly I thought it was frustrating.

1. The Batman
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman ‘89
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Batman Under The Red Hood

(If we’re not counting animated films, then Batman Returns gets my fifth spot)

Just sticking to live-action,
1. The Batman
2/3. The Dark Knight/Batman Returns (tie)
4. Batman '89
5. Batman Begins

1. The Batman/The Dark Knight Rises
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman Returns

The Batman | 11/10 - Masterpiece, Brubaker/Rucka brought to the silver screen

The Dark Knight | 10/10 - HEATH!! it may have some flaws which are easy to ignore

Batman - Mask Of The Phantasm | 10/10 - most live action films wish they were this good

Batman Begins | 10/10 - still a perfect Bruce Wayne film, never thought we'd get that in post B&R

Batman Returns | 10/10 - Pfeiffer! Burton getting his blank check post '89 and that sexy snow, baby...

...we're lucky as Bat fans; let alone Batman '89 is damn near perfect and Batman '66 rules. We get so may different versions/aspects of Batman, yet most are done so well.

1. Batman Returns
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4. Batman 66
5. The Dark Knight

Decided to update my ranking once more

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Mask of The Phantasm
Batman Returns

Last edited:
:batty:
1) The Dark Knight
2) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
3) Batman Returns
4) Batman Begins
5) Batman '89

-Some social commentary with his followers and tying that to the impact Batman is having

How did the Riddler and his followers not get that Batman was for punishing criminals, not all of society?

How did the Riddler and his followers not get that Batman was for punishing criminals, not all of society?

Because they are villains? *ahem*

That's not actually a joke, btw. The Riddler wants to punish society thanks to his narcissistic megalomania, and wants Batman to be on his side and agree with him ( because narcissistic megalomaniac ). Thus, he rationalizes and interprets so that he can believe Batman thinks like him and supports him. As for the Riddler goon squad? They are people who were convinced by a dude on youtube videos to plant bombs and shoot up crowds, of course they are going to believe whatever the Riddler says- anyone who wasn't onboard the Riddler terrorism train wouldn't have been recruited into the plot.

1. The Batman
2. Batman Returns
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman 89

I haven't been posting much here lately, but man oh man, this film has been on my mind a lot the past several months- and I feel as confident as ever in feeling that The Batman is the strongest film to date in the franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"