World Post your Favourite Thor Smackdown ! Comic book or movie

Batmannerism

Super-unknown
Reaction score
Over the years the mighty Thor has dished out some mighty smackdowns.
Post your favourite here, from the comics or the movies !

This is a shout out (and a bit of an apology) to Big Thor and Mjolnir, and all the Asgardi-fans that I have offended with some of my comments about the
Mighty Hammer Wielder.

Tell us about your favourite Thor victory, and why it's so great !

I 'll start. My favourite Thor smackdown comes from the

Walt Simonson run on Thor in the 80's.....THOR BEATS DEATH !

Yup, Thor fights Hel, the goddess who embodies death and sorts her
out !

Sadly, he pays a huge price, he's scarred and cursed with brittle bones,
but regardless, he beat death itself (or as close as you can get anyway)
which is a pretty massive Smackdown (let's see the Hulk do that !)

thor12.jpg

I managed to miss this thread until you referred to it in another thread but I'll start with pointing out that you have never offended me on the subject of Thor. I have no problems with differing opinions and you've never been one of those that I've seen have a poor attitude when discussing it.

When it comes to my favorite victories I'm going to go with my current favorite, which is a very recent one; the defeat of Gorr the god butcher. I'm just in love with the current run that Jason Aaron is writing.

First of all we get to see three Thors do battle with Gorr (viking age, modern age and future king) and there's something very badass about seeing modern day Thor wield two Mjolnirs. Thor absorbs the power of a bomb meant to kill every god in time and space through that all the gods notice what's happening and pray to him (seeing Odin pray to his son was amazing) and after the explosion Thor stands both with two Mjolnirs and embraced by the dark weapon Gorr had used, and then blasts him into crumbling defeat. Then we get one of the best complete defeats of a villain ever when Gorr, he who hated all gods and wanted to rid the universe of them, has his "son" (just a part of Gorr himself) name him God of Hypocrisy before he dies.

There's of course a price to pay here as well, as modern day Thor dies, but he's resurrected by the future king version of himself through the Thorforce.

9azrf7.jpg

Dude, at last someone steps up.

Now to be honest, I didn't understand a word of that, not having read Thor in the last 10 years, so it didn't make a lick of sense to me, especially the Thorforce bit and the future King Thor resurrecting dead Thor.

But, hey the main point is that YOU enjoyed it. So go Thor !

As my first post suggests, I was a fan of classic Simonson Thor,
now that was sheer awesomeness. Especially the SOUND EFFECTS !!!!

like "BRRRACCKADDOOOM !" and in this case WHRAAANG !!!! and KABASHHH!

Anyway, just for that here's another great Thor Smackdown
Thor fights alongside Loki and Odin, against Surtur, who's about 1000 feet tall
and has the sword "Twilight" that can destroy all of Asgard, and shatter the
walls between dimensions.

Thor takes on a foe that threatens the very shining realm itself. It takes the illusions of Loki, and a great sacrifice from Odin, but the Demon is defeated and Asgard saved.

I picked this one because Thor not only has to fight his hardest, but has to work with Loki (not easy). I liked it, because it's one of those "skin of your teeth" victories, calamity is avoided by the slimmest of margins, and there's still a terrible cost. But something that I thought comic book Thor had (during the Simonson years) was a sense of sacrifice, which raised the character to the height of greatness.

( I don't like the fights where Thor just kicks someone's ass, I like it when he stands atop his fallen foe, bloodied and bruised, wondering how he's still alive).

storylines49d.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/storylines49d.jpg

For further reading, check out this
http://hero-envy.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/the-top-5-greatest-battles-of-thor.html

Some great Thor moments (notice how many of them come from the 80's).
Thor taking on the Celestials, is pretty much like Thor taking on God and his
older brothers.

Last edited:
It was kind of deliberate to not give away every single detail. It's automatically a spoiler but if someone reads my post and wants to read the comic there must be things left to find out. Some of the confusion probably comes from that the story shows three different times and also includes time travel.

I encourage everyone to read issues 1-11 of Thor: God of Thunder. Great story, great art and easy to get into without reading previous material.

oddly enough my favorite fight in a thor story did NOT include thor.
in the story a latin American general had with help from a female mercenary with hypnotic talents gained influence over firelord and was using him to stage a coup dtat thor went to investigate with jane coming as his interpreter
when the hyptist gained power over thor as well jane challenged her to fight for them
jane won the knife fight but when the general reneged on his promise to relase thor and firelord and tried to kill jane thor snapped out of his tranceant fed them some defeat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"