Preacher Preacher Season 1, Episode 6 "Sundowner"

Guts

Smug
Reaction score
preacher-logo.jpg
Jesse finally comes face to face with Deblanc and Fiore, and learns about the mysterious entity that has taken over his body.
preacher-episode-105-jesse-cooper-935.jpg

Dammit. I copied pasted the thread title from AMC and just realized that their episode listing is off. This is episode 6.

I wanted to post a gif of that weird alien in Star Trek 3 saying "GENESIS???" but I couldn't find it. :(

Get yo s*** together, Jesse. :o

I freaking love this show.

I was unsure what to think about Arseface early on because it felt like those other guys from school were leading him into some sort of prank or trap, at least from my first impression. At least, for now, it ended up being harmless and just a way to make him feel involved, which made his confrontation with Preacher all the more powerful.

Though without reading the comic, I do hope this show is smart enough to avoid some sort of petty love triangle between Cassidy, Jesse, and Tulip, who practically turned into the jealous type when she stormed into Emily's home.

They've turned Tulip into a stalker. I'm really trying to give this show a shot but they aren't making it easy for me...

I was unsure what to think about Arseface early on because it felt like those other guys from school were leading him into some sort of prank or trap, at least from my first impression. At least, for now, it ended up being harmless and just a way to make him feel involved, which made his confrontation with Preacher all the more powerful.

Though without reading the comic, I do hope this show is smart enough to avoid some sort of petty love triangle between Cassidy, Jesse, and Tulip, who practically turned into the jealous type when she stormed into Emily's home.

As a reader of the entire comic series, I can tell you that Tulip hooking up with Cassidy at that point was a major curveball. No way in Hell Tulip would have done that in the comics.

Some of the characterization of Tulip has been off.

The show, as it's own entity, isn't a bad show per se.

It's the deviations that are jarring. There's WAY more focus on Jesse being actual Preacher than there ever was in the books. Jesse NEVER wanted to be a preacher in the books, but here, he's dived in head first and it's almost defining him as a character. It's weird.

Really? So the vibe I'm getting is that Tulip is almost a completely different character from her comic counterpart. Is that about right? If I read the comic, I imagine I'd be disappointed, but even without being one, surprising that she apparently differentiates from the source material. And that's unfortunate because I have liked Ruth Negga's performance so far.

Really? So the vibe I'm getting is that Tulip is almost a completely different character from her comic counterpart. Is that about right? If I read the comic, I imagine I'd be disappointed, but even without being one, surprising that she apparently differentiates from the source material. And that's unfortunate because I have liked Ruth Negga's performance so far.

She's way more...intense than in the books. It probably has more to do with the love between her and Jesse being more mutual than in the show. In the show, you barely see any of the chemistry between the two. She seems more a nuisance to Jesse than anything.

She's way more...intense than in the books. It probably has more to do with the love between her and Jesse being more mutual than in the show. In the show, you barely see any of the chemistry between the two. She seems more a nuisance to Jesse than anything.

Both Jesse and Tulip in the book are very no-nonsense, zero tolerance for BS type of people. Honestly, the Jesse in the comic would probably be disgusted by TV Jesse's hypocrisy. Heck, he'd probably kill TV Jesse for what he did to Arseface. That's not a criticism of the show, just a highlight of how very different the story seems to be going.

i could care less the goal is to make compelling tv with engaging characters and thats what they are doing tulip is probably my new fav. character on tv

Tulip in the comics started out as damaged goods because of how her relationship with Jesse ended the first time. It was after her run in with Grandma/Jody/TC in the All in the Family arc then the Hunters arc when facing The Grail the first time is when she really found her way and her edge.

Maybe when those stories are told in the show, it will have the reverse effect and change her. Jesse has been pretty passive for the most part so far and was a complete badass in the comic. Perhaps they're reversing the characterization a bit for the show to freshen things up a bit.

After episode 5, I've accepted the fact that the characterisation of Jesse and Tulip are substantially different from the graphic novels and that this really is a loose adaptation of the source material. As a result, I started enjoying the series a whole lot more. The first scene of the Sundowner episode was absolutely bonkers. You really won't see that kind of madness in any other show.

I really liked the first episode. Should I keep watching this or just save my time?

I really liked the first episode. Should I keep watching this or just save my time?

Absolutely, but I'd binge watch it. This first season really stretches things out, and things don't really get going till episode 5, but yeah it's definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"