Preacher Preacher Season One, Episode One "Pilot"

Guts

Smug
Reaction score
preacher-logo.jpg
In the series premiere, Jesse struggles to escape a past that is slowly catching up to him. Meanwhile, a mysterious entity comes to earth, leaving a wave of destruction in its wake.
preacher-1200x707-PRE_101_LJ_0527_0707_RT.jpg

I haven't read the comic series, but I am very excited for this tonight.

OMG when Preacher is in the bar and the news on tv is talking about how Tom Cruise has died at the church of Scientology. "Tom Cruise Has Exploded" the headline :funny:

Yeah that was funny. Man this first episode was so much fun.

Really solid pilot. They haven't begun to scrape the surface of all 3 main characters either. Watching the backstories unfold of Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy is going to be a treat to watch.

The best line of the night:

"You've got to be one of the good guys son....because there's way too many of the bad".

I loved that line in the comic and I'm thrilled they got it immediately in the pilot. It's the core part of who Jesse is. :up:

Seems like a faithful translation, a good spirit to it. I'm sure if it outraged the right people, it will be a hit.

Loved the pilot! I really hope people watch it so it can keep going.

I'm just not sure yet. The book is one of my all time favorites, so I think regardless of how good it is, I'll find reasons to hate it. I'm aware how sucky that is on my part, but I simply don't see how they're gonna be able to capture some of the greatest moments from the series on cable TV.

Been ages since I have read the books so maybe I've just forgotten things, but the pilot didn't really feel like Preacher at all. But I still quite liked it.

Bar fight was awesome.

Been ages since I have read the books so maybe I've just forgotten things, but the pilot didn't really feel like Preacher at all. But I still quite liked it.

Bar fight was awesome.

Yeah...I agree. It didn't have the feel I was expecting either, but honestly...I didn't know what to expect.

I haven't read the comic but I really liked this!

The introductions for the side characters were really entertaining, mainly Tulip and Cassidy who both have enough personality to carry this show.

Tulip's character on the show is the biggest departure of the 3. In the comic she was an amazing shooter but had only 1 hit under her belt that she botched. This Tulip is like Sarah Conner, Ellen Ripley and The Bride wrapped up all in one. She has a femme fatale edge to her but in the scene where she was talking to the children they touched on her one weakness and that's Jesse. This will be a major turn for the character if they ever get to cover the War in the Sun arc from the comics.

The show is...interesting to say the least.

I've read "Preacher" so many times that this radical departure from the story is kinda disconcerting.

I'll stick around to see where they go with it, but it's...different.

It's different for several reasons. First, the initial arc was only 5 issues, told mostly in flashbacks and covered a 48-72 hour span. That won't work when you're only greenlit for a 10 episode first season on a limited budget. That's why there's this amalgam of Gone to Texas and Salvation stories wrapped up into one.

AMC is pretty good about renewals, so unless this thing tanks hard (and I don't see that happening) we're getting a season 2 with Grandma, Jody, TC and the Starr and the Grail.

It's different for several reasons. First, the initial arc was only 5 issues, told mostly in flashbacks and covered a 48-72 hour span. That won't work when you're only greenlit for a 10 episode first season on a limited budget. That's why there's this amalgam of Gone to Texas and Salvation stories wrapped up into one.

AMC is pretty good about renewals, so unless this thing tanks hard (and I don't see that happening) we're getting a season 2 with Grandma, Jody, TC and the Starr and the Grail.

They still renew Halt and Catch fire and Turn which rate well below a million live viewers. This will be renewed but they've got to air it away from Game of Thrones.

That's not just it. There seems to be a lack of subtlety with the 3 leads that exists in the books. That and Jesse's motivations seem DRASTICALLY different than the books.

It's not bad, mind you, it's just...different.

subtlety lol thats not a word i would give to the creator of preacher and the boys

They still renew Halt and Catch fire and Turn which rate well below a million live viewers. This will be renewed but they've got to air it away from Game of Thrones.

I'm not sure about Turn but Halt and Catch Fire was given a 3rd season despite low ratings because it's a critical darling....and dirt cheap to produce.

GoT comes on at 9, Preacher is on at 10. It's fine where it's at.

That's not just it. There seems to be a lack of subtlety with the 3 leads that exists in the books. That and Jesse's motivations seem DRASTICALLY different than the books.

It's not bad, mind you, it's just...different.

It has to be different because TV shows are structured way different than comics. Jesse came off like a total ***** for the majority of last night's pilot until the bar fight where his old self came creeping back out. From the previews, Tulip is going to turn those screws even further. Jesse becoming friends with a guy like Cassidy is going to bring it out of him even further. The Jesse we all know from the comics is going to break out eventually, you just have to give it time.

Even though Tulip is way more badass than the comic version, she was my favorite part of the episode.

Loved the first episode.

This is an adaptation of a comic book...not the comic book. That means you have to shift some things around and add some elements and take away others to make it more suitable for an hour long 10 episode tv season. It's unfortunate that people are still not able to accept that, given that tv adaptations of written works have been happening for longer than I've been alive.

Haven't read the comic yet so no comparisons. It was just okay. Hopefully it gets better as it goes along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"