• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pro tennis player quits over social media comments

The comments were posted by people from 9gag, Reddit, and Ponychan. Shame on them for ruining her career; I wonder what she'll be moving on to.

She should just delete her twitter account...

Welcome to world of social media. Doesn't every celebrity/athlete have haters?

It says she's also been battling depression. I'm sure the heckling tweets weren't helping. She probably should've considered disconnecting herself from the internet for a while to focus more on tennis and getting help for the depression.

From the article is sounds like the social-media bashing was only one part of the problem. Evidently her depression and the fact she's just not enjoying the sport anymore are major factors as well. If everything else in her life was fine and dandy with online bullying being her only problem it seems unlikely she'd thrown in the towel on that alone.

The comments were posted by people from 9gag, Reddit, and Ponychan. Shame on them for ruining her career; I wonder what she'll be moving on to.

Shell be moving onto sites like 9gag, Reddit, Ponychan under an alias to bash everyone else :)

INTERNET MUSCLES!

but really though, this and the Manti Teo thing, its sad how social media truly has a grasp on every aspect of life, but when it affects someones career, its sad.

It says she's also been battling depression. I'm sure the heckling tweets weren't helping. She probably should've considered disconnecting herself from the internet for a while to focus more on tennis and getting help for the depression.

It's a shame such a successful athlete would give in rather than seek help. I'm sure the tweets aren't the root cause , but I can see how it would diminish someone with a fragile sense of self esteem.

She might as well quit if she didn't have the fortitude to tune off the internet. Tennis is way more demanding than that.

It's a shame such a successful athlete would give in rather than seek help.

Instead of quitting, she could have gotten the Internet to join her side by make them sympathetic to her bullying.

She could have expressed how it was affecting her game.

Yes; this is right in line with their love of tricking people into giving them their DA account passwords.

Oh I don't frequent any of the -chans, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Most pony related places I visit are usually pretty alright so I had no idea.

Athletes have a short career life anyway, if she doesn't comeback I bet she will regret it when she gets older. Life isn't a big teddy bear with endless love, I would use all the negative as motivation but I know that's hard when you're only 22.

It's easy to say superficial stuff doesn't matter when you're not between the ages of 13-30. That time in our lives, appearances mean everything even if we don't outright say it.

The top players get even more trash talk directed at them. I think she's making excuses. Leave twitter if you really care about tennis.

Again, for the folks saying "Why didn't she just leave Twitter?" "She should have thicker skin!" or whatever, there's obviously more to her leaving the sport than just being harassed online. The article mentions she's suffered from depression for six years and no longer has fun playing the sport. Issues far larger than being bullied online have contributed to her decision to quit, that just happens to be what the author of the article decided to focus on because it makes a more interesting story.

If she's battling depression, then it makes even less sense for her to be around Twitter nonsense.

“Social media has also taken its toll on me." That's clear and specific. There would be no story if she didn't point out social media.

Last edited:
I agree there would be no story if it weren't for the social media aspect, but how do you get "has also taken it's toll on me" to be "the reason"? From that quote it's pretty clear that the online bullying is a peripheral issue to her depression. The harassment was only a contributing factor that helped push her toward quitting, but it wasn't by any means the core reasoning.

Last edited:
For people who say - why didn't she just quit twitter - probably for the same reason people ask us to ban them from here because they can't leave on their own.

For people who say - why didn't she just quit twitter - probably for the same reason people ask us to ban them from here because they can't leave on their own.

tumblr_inline_mh3s97Dt3p1qkk6oy.gif

I don't get why people go so over board on the internet. Telling a someone they don't know that they wish they were dead is just weird.

There was this BBC Three documentary about Internet trolls. The reporter tracked down some guy who was leaving nasty messages on a dead kids face book and the guy was some total oddball loser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"