Supergirl Proper representation

scubasteve

Civilian
Reaction score
I noticed in season 4, covering the Children of Liberty, that all the people in the hate group for the aliens are white males. But yet the aliens that they terrorize are of all different ethnic groups. I see a behind the scene trend here that is being misrepresented in the show. This kind of hidden agenda or characterization of groups sends a message far beyond the show. Sorry, but last time I checked, Humans are of all different ethnicities. I would hope that this type of characterization is an accident, but I perceive it has an underlying message. It happens even in the cartoons for kids. I do not have the time to list the possible messages in all tv shows and movies. This is just a thread to let people be aware of this underlying thought that is sent into living rooms, without us even realizing it. It's dangerous and even damaging to society becoming a peaceable place where we don't ostricize someone based on the color of their skin. Yet I feel the show is trying to amplify just that. Let me know your thoughts and concerns.

I don't see alot of diversity in white supremacists marches and rallies...and it was a diverse group when showing larger groups of people such as the White House scenes...as well as the scenes where Agent Liberty is speaking and Jonn, a black man, is able to walk right in undetected. So, not sure it is as white washed as you remember. They also wanted James/Guardian, as "the public face" of their group....so again, not really seeing the problem.

Was watching a reaction a few days ago from a group of black guys to Batwoman (wrong section I know but thought this fit)

And one of the dudes said he wouldn't be watching it not for any of the reasons I had previously mentioned because in his opinion barring Diggle I think he said every time they introduce a black male character from the comics said they reduce him to this dorky goof with a fro. (Im paraphrasing as I forget his exact wording but was very similar to that.)

But tbh I kind of see where he's coming from when you look at how they handled Mr Terrific & now Bat Wing, compared to how badass they look in the comics.

Black Lightning??????
Manchester Black?????

J'onn J'onzz ?????
James Olson, not comic accurate but ????

What is a dorky goof with a fro?

Black Lightning??????
Manchester Black?????

These were his words not mine, he did make some point about Black Lightning as well but I forget exactly what he said about him as I don't watch that show so had sort of zoned out at that point.

Manchester Black was cool as hell especially with all his awesome gadgets but he was never really a hero, was he? That was my faux pass saying black characters when I meant to say black heroes as that's what he said.

What is a dorky goof with a fro?
I think he was referring to how Curtis acted and how it appears Luke will be acting as well.

Tbh I think a lot of it was maybe how they represented Bat Wing because he seemed to know a lot about that character and was possibly just a little salty how he's been brought to life on the small screen.

These were his words not mine, he did make some point about Black Lightning as well but I forget exactly what he said about him as I don't watch that show so had sort of zoned out at that point.

Manchester Black was cool as hell especially with all his awesome gadgets but he was never really a hero, was he? That was my faux pass saying black characters when I meant to say black heroes as that's what he said.

I think he was referring to how Curtis acted and how it appears Luke will be acting as well.

Tbh I think a lot of it was maybe how they represented Bat Wing because he seemed to know a lot about that character and was possibly just a little salty how he's been brought to life on the small screen.

Okay! I don't think I really understand because I watch only Supergirl. But, if it was specific to some other show, then okay.

I noticed in season 4, covering the Children of Liberty, that all the people in the hate group for the aliens are white males. But yet the aliens that they terrorize are of all different ethnic groups. I see a behind the scene trend here that is being misrepresented in the show. This kind of hidden agenda or characterization of groups sends a message far beyond the show. Sorry, but last time I checked, Humans are of all different ethnicities. I would hope that this type of characterization is an accident, but I perceive it has an underlying message. It happens even in the cartoons for kids. I do not have the time to list the possible messages in all tv shows and movies. This is just a thread to let people be aware of this underlying thought that is sent into living rooms, without us even realizing it. It's dangerous and even damaging to society becoming a peaceable place where we don't ostricize someone based on the color of their skin. Yet I feel the show is trying to amplify just that. Let me know your thoughts and concerns.

I mean, they weren't exactly being subtle with the message they were intending to send. Making the Children of Liberty more diverse would muddy the waters about the message about white supremacy.

I mean, they weren't exactly being subtle with the message they were intending to send. Making the Children of Liberty more diverse would muddy the waters about the message about white supremacy.

They were definitely drawing a parallel between the Children of Liberty and White Supremacists. I think even having them wear those masks made them similar (but obviously a different design) to the Ku Klux Klan with the need to hide their identity and have these secret meetings.

I don't see why they would've tried to have more representation in the Children of Liberty. It was meant to be some kind of allegory with what is happening in real life, but obviously they wanted to ostracise aliens here rather than other races and immigrants. But it still stood in for that.

The rest of the show is well represented. They have J'onn, Jimmy, Jimmy's sister, Chyler's ex girlfriend whose name I forget now, that current head of the DEO etc.

Well, it would have been less obvious if they had cast a more diverse group as the Children of Liberty, but I have also seen them use the disability buzzword 'inclusion" to talk about the aliens, so they are not exactly subtle with that storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"