Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

Well Ghostwire Tokyo and the other one (forgot the name) are still being released in the ps5.

While the next Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Bethesda games are probably still years away so you might not need to secure a Series X this year.
yes. that is something to consider. This deal doesn't do anything to change the picture short term, especially at launch. This is definitely more of an issue in the long-term.

yes. that is something to consider. This deal doesn't do anything to change the picture short term, especially at launch. This is definitely more of an issue in the long-term.
Yep, same with all the other studios Microsoft bought. They will pay dividends in future but they didn’t have enough top stuff to show for their showcase.

Yep, same with all the other studios Microsoft bought. They will pay dividends in future but they didn’t have enough top stuff to show for their showcase.
yeah. Which is a shame.

However, if my intent is to buy only one of these consoles for next-gen, I now have to factor this bombshell news into my decision.

If I choose PS5, I will be potentially giving up future big titles like Starfield, the next Elder Scrolls, and Fallout. And regardless, those Bethesda titles are now forever associated with the Xbox brand.

Likewise, if I choose Series X, then that means giving up titles like FF XVI, Project Athia, God of war, Horizon 2, etc. As well as niche fighters and other RPGs that come from JDevs.

yeah. Which is a shame.

However, if my intent is to buy only one of these consoles for next-gen, I now have to factor this bombshell news into my decision.

If I choose PS5, I will be potentially giving up future big titles like Starfield, the next Elder Scrolls, and Fallout. And regardless, those Bethesda titles are now forever associated with the Xbox brand.

Likewise, if I choose Series X, then that means giving up titles like FF XVI, Project Athia, God of war, Horizon 2, etc. As well as niche fighters and other RPGs that come from JDevs.
Didn't you already pre order ps5? I think for the next 14 months, ps5 has more eXclusives. While the Series X doesn't have any yet, well for the next four months. So I think you should wait until at least Halo is about to be released since you are already getting a ps5. And its Xbox, does your retail store run out of stock for Xbox?

Personally another reason I'm kinda holding out for now for the new ps5, is I don't want it to collect dusts as I still plan to buy ps4 games, even though it can run ps4 games, I want it to last until the late 2020s.

Didn't you already pre order ps5? I think for the next 14 months, ps5 has more eXclusives. While the Series X doesn't have any yet, well for the next four months. So I think you should wait until at least Halo is about to be released since you are already getting a ps5. And its Xbox, does your retail store run out of stock for Xbox?

Personally another reason I'm kinda holding out for now for the new ps5, is I don't want it to collect dusts as I still plan to buy ps4 games, even though it can run ps4 games, I want it to last until the late 2020s.
I did preorder the PS5. and it was a 7 hour long ordeal I don't really want to go through again.

but, technically, I could preorder the Series X, too, just to secure it. then, as I get closer to release date, cancel the one I don't want.

however, as you said, this news still doesn't change the near-term situation that Xbox is in. The utter lack of major 1st party or 3rd party exclusives at launch and within the 1st year.

and the other thing is that, while the Bethesda news is indeed huge, all of those games (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc.) tend to be 1st-person focused. And 1st-person isn't exactly my cup of tea.

so, in the grand scheme of things, I'm less excited or affected by this news than, say, if MS bought out WB games or Bioware, for example.

Still, it does throw a bit of wrench into my plans when I thought everything was in order and in place.

I did preorder the PS5. and it was a 7 hour long ordeal I don't really want to go through again.

but, technically, I could preorder the Series X, too, just to secure it. then, as I get closer to release date, cancel the one I don't want.

however, as you said, this news still doesn't change the near-term situation that Xbox is in. The utter lack of major 1st party or 3rd party exclusives at launch and within the 1st year.

and the other thing is that, while the Bethesda news is indeed huge, all of those games (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc.) tend to be 1st-person focused. And 1st-person isn't exactly my cup of tea.

so, in the grand scheme of things, I'm less excited or affected by this news than, say, if MS bought out WB games or Bioware, for example.

Still, it does throw a bit of wrench into my plans when I thought everything was in order and in place.
In 3 years, Elder Scrolls VI is about to be released and there's a Fallout 77 bundle for Xbox Series XX. Though you arent even into first person games so perhaps, this shouldn't be a big reason to buy a Series X now.

I think imo, since you are tempted to buy both, its probably better if you get both. Ps5 now, then Series XX later when there's more non Ps5 games available. Series X would probably be easy to get unless it sells like the Switch which I don't see happening.

Personally, I've never been interested in Xbox and Bethesda games. I didnt even know what is a zenimaX until now. So I'm still not missing anything for not owning a series X.

After thinking a bit. I have my doubts MS will make many (if any) games exclusive. MS does not care a whole lot about selling Xbox( I means its nice for sure to sell them) but they really want people to use gamepass.

So, all these games will be available on Gamepass for free (well gamepass fee of course), a really big incentive to get an xbox or buy gamepass on PC..

Also since MS likes all that cash.. they will also allow these games to be on the PS5 and collect on all that money.

I believe Phil even stated once he was against exclusives (I could be wrong?) I now see why.. they can make money on the cross sales.

I wish Sony thought this way too.

After thinking a bit. I have my doubts MS will make many (if any) games exclusive. MS does not care a whole lot about selling Xbox( I means its nice for sure to sell them) but they really want people to use gamepass.

So, all these games will be available on Gamepass for free (well gamepass fee of course), a really big incentive to get an xbox or buy gamepass on PC..

Also since MS likes all that cash.. they will also allow these games to be on the PS5 and collect on all that money.

I believe Phil even stated once he was against exclusives (I could be wrong?) I now see why.. they can make money on the cross sales.

I wish Sony thought this way too.
Which imo is kinda not smart.

The problem with Xbox in the first place is the lack of eXclusives because if certain games aren't available on PlayStation, they are accessible to the Windows PC and more people already own a pc than a Xbox. There's really no game (except maybe for a few titles) that you can only play in Xbox One. So you might as well just get a pc or a ps5 to make the most out of your money. The XboX game pass iirc works fine on pc without a xbox console?

While PlayStation having eXclusives works for them as it serves as a big reason for the public to buy their own console/controller/gadgets like their psvr. You can only play Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War in the playstation and in a way, it gives their brand its own identity. Same thing with Nintendo. Xbox doesn't have that.

And now, you want Microsoft to share their new toys to Sony.... the #1 competition of Microsoft's home console, eh. Then whats the point of Microsoft buying Bethesda if they can't undercut their competition with the new Doom/Fallout/Elder Scroll game.

Also, if Microsoft really wants to focus on selling the Xbox gamepass why still release the new Bethesda games in ps5? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Which imo is kinda not smart.

The problem with Xbox in the first place is the lack of eXclusives because if certain games aren't available on PlayStation, they are accessible to the Windows PC and more people already own a pc than a Xbox. There's really no game (except maybe for a few titles) that you can only play in Xbox One. So you might as well just get a pc or a ps5 to make the most out of your money. The XboX game pass iirc works fine on pc without a xbox console?

While PlayStation having eXclusives works for them as it serves as a big reason for the public to buy their own console/controller/gadgets like their psvr. You can only play Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War in the playstation and in a way, it gives their brand its own identity. Same thing with Nintendo. Xbox doesn't have that.

And now, you want Microsoft to share their new toys to Sony.... the #1 competition of Microsoft's home console, eh. Then whats the point of Microsoft buying Bethesda if they can't undercut their competition with the new Doom/Fallout/Elder Scroll game.

Also, if Microsoft really wants to focus on selling the Xbox gamepass why still release the new Bethesda games in ps5? That doesn't make sense.
exactly!!

Also, Sony already eXplained why they aren't releasing their new games in a psnow right away. both companies have different methods. I don't know how Microsoft is doing eXactly. But Sony is doing great business with the sales of their ps4 consoles and their eXclusive games like Ghost, FF and TLOU. If its not broken, don't fiX it.

Also, Sony already eXplained why they aren't releasing their new games in a psnow right away. both companies have different methods. I don't know how Microsoft is doing eXactly. But Sony is doing great business with the sales of their ps4 consoles and their eXclusive games like Ghost, FF and TLOU. If its not broken, don't fiX it.
In the fast changing world of tech that is not good advice. Sony were a dominant company when I was growing up outside of video games. Nothing was broken. Nothing got fixed. And then Samsung came steaming in with new stuff at a consumer friendly price and Sony never adapted. The same happened to many of their other divisions where they coasted by on name alone. In recent years it's the videogame division that kept them afloat and is now spurring their growth. Another company that suffered a similar fate would be Microsoft. They slept while the much smaller Apple came in and beat them to the punch (also beat Sony to the punch with digital music and the iPod) on many things on their way to the no.1 spot. Microsoft stagnated for years until they got a new CEO (Nadella after Ballmer) who again has some vision.

yeah. Which is a shame.

Yeah, there will be unmissable games that will be forced to be missed either way by having access to only one console. Nintendo's games are also unmissable so it's difficult to be able to play everything unfortunately.

Yeah, there will be unmissable games that will be forced to be missed either way by having access to only one console. Nintendo's games are also unmissable so it's difficult to be able to play everything unfortunately.
Yeah. that's just the nature of this gaming business. And, if you intend to be a one console gamer, then there are sacrifices you will have to make.

Now that I've had time to digest this news and talk it over with others, I honestly don't think this changes much for me, both in the near term or even in the long term.

In the near term, this still doesn't change the fact that Xbox is completely lacking in major 1st and 3rd party exclusives, particularly at launch. If I got the Series X in November, and got just that, what exactly would I be playing besides 3rd party games that I could play on PS5 (Cyberpunk, AC, etc.)? Except for the Medium, nothing exclusive to Xbox really interests me in the near term or at launch.

And even in the long term, while I am interested in Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and possibly Starfield, and while I do like open world RPGs with created characters, pretty much all of the Bethesda games are 1st person oriented, which dampens my interest for them. I like those ES and Fallout, but I'm not some super massive fan of them. And I'm not really into Doom or Quake. Nor Dishonored or Prey, though those do look interesting. Again, they are all 1st person games of some form or another. And that's just not my cup of tea.

This isn't MS buying out Bioware from EA (or buying the whole EA) meaning Mass Effect and Dragon Age are going to MS as exclusive ips. Now THAT would mean a whole lot more to me.

IOW, I think I can live without these 1st person Bethesda games, even Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Whereas, I don't think I'd be able to live without the next Final Fantasy game. Or the next Persona game. Or possibly the next Street Fighter. While none of those are strictly owned by Sony, they do tend to favor PS with exclusivity deals. As well as other JRPGs and JDev games.

So, if given the choice, I'm still going to favor Sony and the PS5. especially at launch and in the near term.

If anything, this makes Series X potentially more interesting several years down the road. When those new Bethesda games like Starfield and ES 6, as well as Avowed, Fable, and Everwild, actually start coming out. If they look amazing and seem like games I really want to play, maybe then I'll buy the Series X.

Yeah. that's just the nature of this gaming business. And, if you intend to be a one console gamer, then there are sacrifices you will have to make.

Now that I've had time to digest this news and talk it over with others, I honestly don't think this changes much for me, both in the near term or even in the long term.

In the near term, this still doesn't change the fact that Xbox is completely lacking in major 1st and 3rd party exclusives, particularly at launch. If I got the Series X in November, and got just that, what exactly would I be playing besides 3rd party games that I could play on PS5 (Cyberpunk, AC, etc.)? Except for the Medium, nothing exclusive to Xbox really interests me in the near term or at launch.

And even in the long term, while I am interested in Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and possibly Starfield, and while I do like open world RPGs with created characters, pretty much all of the Bethesda games are 1st person oriented, which dampens my interest for them. I like those ES and Fallout, but I'm not some super massive fan of them.

This isn't MS buying out Bioware from EA (or buying the whole EA) meaning Mass Effect and Dragon Age are going to MS as exclusive ips. Now THAT would mean a whole lot more to me.

IOW, I think I can live without these 1st person Bethesda games, even Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Whereas, I don't think I'd be able to live without the next Final Fantasy game. Or the next Persona game. Or possibly the next Street Fighter. While none of those are strictly owned by Sony, they do tend to favor PS with exclusivity deals. As well as other JRPGs and JDev games.

So, if given the choice, I'm still going to favor Sony and the PS5. especially at launch and in the near term.

If anything, this makes Series X potentially more interesting several years down the road. When those new Bethesda games like Starfield and ES 6, as well as Avowed, Fable, and Everwild, actually start coming out. If they look amazing and seem like games I really want to play, maybe then I'll buy the Series X.
I love ES, but even then I switch to 3rd person view for most of it. I'm definitely more of a 3rd person gamer. Is Avowed going to be first person only you think?

I love ES, but even then I switch to 3rd person view for most of it. I'm definitely more of a 3rd person gamer. Is Avowed going to be first person only you think?
It's possible Avowed could switch between 1st and 3rd person. But, so far, all we've seen is 1st person. Also, I think Outer Worlds, Obsidian's recent game, is only 1st person, but I could be mistaken.

Regardless if these games allow you to switch to 3rd person, they are still designed to be primarily played through 1st person. As opposed to something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age which are clearly designed as 3rd person games. Which I prefer.

It's possible Avowed could switch between 1st and 3rd person. But, so far, all we've seen is 1st person. Also, I think Outer Worlds, Obsidian's recent game, is only 1st person, but I could be mistaken.

Regardless if these games allow you to switch to 3rd person, they are still designed to be primarily played through 1st person. As opposed to something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age which are clearly designed as 3rd person games. Which I prefer.
Bioware really need to sort their act out. 8 years and counting and just one Mass Effect game that wasn’t well received. They couldn’t even get an easy money remaster done in that time. Even without Microsoft, I’d be quite happy if someone bought them from EA, as some change is needed.

Bioware really need to sort their act out. 8 years and counting and just one Mass Effect game that wasn’t well received. They couldn’t even get an easy money remaster done in that time. Even without Microsoft, I’d be quite happy if someone bought them from EA, as some change is needed.
Maybe Sony will snap Bioware up. :o

But seriously. I wonder if this is now the start of a major studio acquisition "arms race" between Sony and MS.

It will be interesting to see if/how Sony responds to this. They may not have deep as pockets as MS to make as huge a deal as this Bethesda one. However, it's not out of the possibility that Sony could pick up another studio with big ips. At the very least, I imagine they will now be even more aggressive with their 3rd party exclusivity deals going forward.

I don't currently have the numbers with me, but Sony could acquire some of their long-time close studios like Konami and Squeenix if they're "affordable". Maybe we could need a revival of Silent Hill or Castlevania. :shrug:

As for BioWare, what made BioWare BioWare no longer works there (i.e. key people). If anyone is still waiting for that studio to be the same studio from 15+ years ago will be disappointed. And didn't MS try to buy them awhile back before the EA acquisition?

In the fast changing world of tech that is not good advice. Sony were a dominant company when I was growing up outside of video games. Nothing was broken. Nothing got fixed. And then Samsung came steaming in with new stuff at a consumer friendly price and Sony never adapted. The same happened to many of their other divisions where they coasted by on name alone. In recent years it's the videogame division that kept them afloat and is now spurring their growth. Another company that suffered a similar fate would be Microsoft. They slept while the much smaller Apple came in and beat them to the punch (also beat Sony to the punch with digital music and the iPod) on many things on their way to the no.1 spot. Microsoft stagnated for years until they got a new CEO (Nadella after Ballmer) who again has some vision.
I understand why Sony isn't releasing their 1st party games right away. Thing is if we could play Ghosts of Tsushima and Last of Us in a price of 10 dollars for a month in psnow. Then most likely there would people that won't buy those games digitally and physically anymore,especially in the case of tlou2 in which there was/is a divisive reaction. I don't think those titles would sell the way it did, if they were available on ps now during their launch week. While Death Stranding, that would have gotten lower sales.

This way, they would be able maX out their options, more digital/physical sales for a new ps game and possibly more sales for the console especially if theres a bundle, and this would help Sony recoup their budget for their big games. And those who are patient enough, could play these games in psnow 3 years after the launch of the game.

Last edited:
Maybe Sony will snap Bioware up. :o

But seriously. I wonder if this is now the start of a major studio acquisition "arms race" between Sony and MS.

It will be interesting to see if/how Sony responds to this. They may not have deep as pockets as MS to make as huge a deal as this Bethesda one. However, it's not out of the possibility that Sony could pick up another studio with big ips. At the very least, I imagine they will now be even more aggressive with their 3rd party exclusivity deals going forward.
I don't know which company could Playstation buy at this point. Companies like Capcom, T2, Square eniX and Ubisoft are too big.

Is there any company you have in mind? I can't think of a smaller company which releases mostly 3rd person games that I want Sony to buy. I was thinking Kojima Productions but they don't have other ips aside from Death Stranding. While the studio behind Detroit Become Human don't make a lot of games.

I don't currently have the numbers with me, but Sony could acquire some of their long-time close studios like Konami and Squeenix if they're "affordable". Maybe we could need a revival of Silent Hill or Castlevania. :shrug:

As for BioWare, what made BioWare BioWare no longer works there (i.e. key people). If anyone is still waiting for that studio to be the same studio from 15+ years ago will be disappointed. And didn't MS try to buy them awhile back before the EA acquisition?
Yeah, companies like BioWare or Blizzard now are just shells of their former selves. All the good people who made them work have left or been forced out. Their name and reputation are not what they used to be and I doubt they ever will be again. Not with the likes of EA and Activision hooked into them.

This Video by IGN basically goes into the reason why I thought (think) most of these acquired games will still be multi platform. ($$)

I understand why Sony isn't releasing their 1st party games right away. Thing is if we could play Ghosts of Tsushima and Last of Us in a price of 10 dollars for a month in psnow. Then most likely there would people that won't buy those games digitally and physically anymore,especially in the case of tlou2 in which there was/is a divisive reaction. I don't think those titles would sell the way it did, if they were available on ps now during their launch week. While Death Stranding, that would have gotten lower sales.

This way, they would be able maX out their options, more digital/physical sales for a new ps game and possibly more sales for the console especially if theres a bundle, and this would help Sony recoup their budget for their big games. And those who are patient enough, could play these games in psnow 3 years after the launch of the game.
They are doing the right thing to make the most money out of their user base for sure, with so many big exclusives that people are willing to pay up for. At some stage though (possibly by PS6 time) the comparison will be does someone buy 10 games for $70 per year and let’s say, sell them for half price. Spending $350 net per year for those 10 games vs a higher priced gamepass of $30 a month at roughly the same annual cost. But then you will get all of Microsoft’s first party for life past and future including all new titles on day of release.

The value proposition will shift as the years go by, especially as all the studios they bought as well as the Zenimax ones start coming out with regular content. Gamepass is a long term investment for them and it might pay of and it might not and companies need to be on the right side of moves like that. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Yeah, companies like BioWare or Blizzard now are just shells of their former selves. All the good people who made them work have left or been forced out. Their name and reputation are not what they used to be and I doubt they ever will be again. Not with the likes of EA and Activision hooked into them.
Yeah. It’s probably better just to bid for individual IPs like Mass Effect that are being under-utilised. The IP is worth more than the money EA are currently making from it so from that sense it could make sense to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"