Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

it's kinda weird to say copies of Ps5 since it's hardware, not software. and right now there aren't that many exclusives obviously since the console just released. there are a lot of games worth playing, but in my opinion Series X matches that simply with the access to the gamepass service. Ps5 is all the buzz right now but like I said for the long run, I don't know how that would last.

Also, do you have a source where Sony said they would revamp psnow for Ps5?
'Interesting Stuff' for Sony PS Plus, PS Now Services is Being Figured Out

Thats the source regarding psnow, I don't know if its a revamp but they have plans for it and psplus

Obviously eXclusives help the console sell better. Why did think you ps4 outsell Xone easily? Because they had games only for the ps4.

Also ps5 has 4 eXclusives released iirc (Demons Soul, Miles, Astro, Sackboy). Series X has Zero as of the moment, unless you count console eXclusive okay Yakuza 0 which is out in ps4 now. While Miles and Sackboy are also available in ps4 but still. Returnal is also out in 2 months. And we might get Horizon, Ratchet/Clank, Destruction Allstars before the neXt Halo. It isn't just buzz, we already have early sales and guess what. The margin is big unless Microsoft also sold 3.4 million by now, okay then. And buzz is important as it shows whose is getting the public's attention.

Also I don't get this discussion. Were you the person that told me that ps5 is going to outsell ps4 but you are also saying series X is going to win this gen? Or was that Silvermoth? So series X is going to sell 50 to 100 million plus? I don't get it.

Unless you can show actual sales/interest with Series X over ps5, okay. But I've read so many articles that ps5 has the upper hand. Sales/interest/games... Ps5 isn't going to stop getting sales/new games when XboX decide to up their game with their eXclusives that are accessible to pc. Xbox game pass is also accessible to pc.

'Interesting Stuff' for Sony PS Plus, PS Now Services is Being Figured Out

Thats the source regarding psnow, I don't know if its a revamp but they have plans for it and psplus
Thanks for the link. If Sony does add more value to psnow, then I am interested to see what a subscription will offer if it ends up becoming a true competitor to gamepass.

Obviously eXclusives help the console sell better. Why did think you ps4 outsell Xone easily? Because they had games only for the ps4.
Why do I think the Ps4 outsold Xbone? For more than one reason, exclusive games being one. The next being the mS and Sony E3 2013 shows. The reception to Sony's was better than mS and that mattered in the minds of the public.

The third is price. As shown in a twitter poll with a sample size of 50K people I posted in this thread, the interest of a considerable amount of consumers are price and backwards compatibility over other things like exclusive games and graphics performance. Ps4 was $100 cheaper than Xbone at launch while neither had BC.

Also ps5 has 4 eXclusives released iirc (Demons Soul, Miles, Astro, Sackboy). Series X has Zero as of the moment, unless you count console eXclusive okay Yakuza 0 which is out in ps4 now. While Miles and Sackboy are also available in ps4 but still. Returnal is also out in 2 months. And we might get Horizon, Ratchet/Clank, Destruction Allstars before the neXt Halo. It isn't just buzz, we already have early sales and guess what. The margin is big unless Microsoft also sold 3.4 million by now, okay then. And buzz is important as it shows whose is getting the public's attention.

Yeah like you said Miles Morales and Sackboy A Big Adventure are both available on Ps4. You don't need to own a Ps5 to play them. They're exclusive to the playstation family. Demon's Souls Remake is the only true exclusive game on Ps5 and it is also arguably one of the best games of the new generation period. But you're right - Series X/S really does not have any new exclusive games, xbox family or not. And for its launch, I think that is a big deal. Yakuza 0 isn't an exclusive game on Series X in any way shape or form. In fact Yakuza might always be recognized first as a playstation series same with Tekken even though it's multiplatform now, despite the fact that mS moneyhatted Yakuza 7 into having a later release date for Ps5 than all of the other platforms.

Also I don't get this discussion. Were you the person that told me that ps5 is going to outsell ps4 but you are also saying series X is going to win this gen? Or was that Silvermoth? So series X is going to sell 50 to 100 million plus? I don't get it.

Unless you can show actual sales/interest with Series X over ps5, okay. But I've read so many articles that ps5 has the upper hand. Sales/interest/games... Ps5 isn't going to stop getting sales/new games when XboX decide to up their game with their eXclusives that are accessible to pc. Xbox game pass is also accessible to pc.
I think I am the person you're talking about, I'm not sure what discussions you and @Silvermoth had, however - I never said Series X is gonna win this gen. I said mS's business plan is for the long run of the video game market. I also never said with full confidence that Ps5 will outsell Ps4, I said that it has a decent shot, but it is way too early to tell. This is the second time I've noticed that you put words in my mouth when having a discussion with me.

Last edited:
I think Sony can make considerable improvements to PS+/PS Now to help compete with gamepass when it really gets going, but I don't think they'll want to take the step of putting their AAA exclusives day and date on their service for free.

I think I am the person you're talking about, I'm not sure what discussions you and @Silvermoth had, however - I never said Series X is gonna win this gen. I said mS's business plan is for the long run of the video game market. I also never said with full confidence that Ps5 will outsell Ps4, I said that it has a decent shot, but it is way too early to tell. This is the second time I've noticed that you put words in my mouth when having a discussion with me.
I didn't put your words into your mouth. Thats why I asked if you were the person that said ps5 would sell ps4. Though I did remember someone implying that ps5 would for sure outsell ps4.

Also as I have pointed out before, the livestreams for ps5 (which in a way replaced e3 announcements last year) imo have been received better than the Xbox's livestreams last year.

Again I would like to see more concrete evidence from you regarding Xbox having a better long term plan because based on the last sales figures. Ps5 sold 3.3 million in 4 weeks. Ps5 has more eXclusives lined up (well at least this year, I seriously doubt they are going to lack in the department from 2022 to 2026). While Xbox series X sold 1.8 million and according to the net, ps5 is more hard to find yet outsold series X during their launch month. Someone said here before and I saw someone from ign that Xbox is all always "wait for this year, wait for it in a few years."

If you are basing this all on Game Pass I would like to see more proof. Especially there's no report that Microsoft's gamepass as of the moment is going to outperform Sony. When Xbox doesn't have the bigger sales/interest/eXclusives as of the moment.

I think Sony can make considerable improvements to PS+/PS Now to help compete with gamepass when it really gets going, but I don't think they'll want to take the step of putting their AAA exclusives day and date on their service for free.
Yeah thats not in their plans right now because according to them their eXclusives cost like more than 100 million and it wouldn't be agood idea to release them on psnow from the getgo. Some games like Days gone are already in psnow iirc. Though for other eXclusives, it would take a longer time.

I didn't put your words into your mouth. Thats why I asked if you were the person that said ps5 would sell ps4.
You claimed I said the Series X is gonna win this gen, and I never said that. In the previous conversation I linked, you responded to a detailed post of mine asking sarcastically if the Ps5 will outsell the Ps4, and I never said that either.

Though I did remember someone implying that ps5 would for sure outsell ps4.
A lot of people have probably said that.

Also as I have pointed out before, the livestreams for ps5 (which in a way replaced e3 announcements last year) imo have been received better than the Xbox's livestreams last year.
What does that have to do with anything? I agreed with you from all angles that the Ps5 is the more popular console.

Again I would like to see more concrete evidence from you regarding Xbox having a better long term plan because based on the last sales figures. Ps5 sold 3.3 million in 4 weeks. Ps5 has more eXclusives lined up (well at least this year, I seriously doubt they are going to lack in the department from 2022 to 2026). While Xbox series X sold 1.8 million and according to the net, ps5 is more hard to find yet outsold series X during their launch month. Someone said here before and I saw someone from ign that Xbox is all always "wait for this year, wait for it in a few years."

If you are basing this all on Game Pass I would like to see more proof. Especially there's no report that Microsoft's gamepass as of the moment is going to outperform Sony. When Xbox doesn't have the bigger sales/interest/eXclusives as of the moment.
Yes, I am basing this on mS's subscription service that is gamepass and whatever else they do with xcloud. The only proof I can show you that mS's long term plan is better than Sony's is the fact that gamepass is a four year old service and has 10 million subscribers. You talk about psnow as if it is Sony's answer to gamepass even though it is three years older than gamepass, but it has 2.2 million subscribers in comparison. gamepass has 5 times the subscriptions in fewer years of availability and mS is always continuing to add value to it. But as of this moment, Sony has not incentivized their core audience into subscribing to psnow.

I didn't read your last reply but again this iswhat you said

with everything mS is doing, it's really hard to fathom that Sony will still be at the top in the long run if they don't do anything to answer them.

And this is a thread titled ps5 vs series x. In what reality is Sony lacking right now that would put Microsoft at the top. Okay maybe in 2040 if ps6 isn't really released within the neXt 10 years and Sony just slagged off for the neXt 5 to 7 years okay... but I don't see reason why Microsoft would be at the top over Sony.

I already said they have plans for their subscription services, there's even a new subscription servicefor the ps5. They have the demand/upcoming games/early sales... its not like Series X is readily available in retail stores and pumping out games only eXclusive to Series X.

Also the gaming industry isn't all about subscription services. People still buy games either physical or digitally.

Anyway I'm disengaging. I'm not putting words into your mouth, but you are heavily implying Microsoft would be at the top over Sony without any concrete evidence.

Even if they wanted to, I don't think they can afford to. mS on the other hand can. I don't know how profitable gamepass is but whatever losses they have to take with it if any, they can. They're a trillion dollar company.
I didn't read your last reply
If you are not even reading what I am saying to you then why are you replying?
but again this iswhat you said

And this is a thread titled ps5 vs series x.
Okay, so if you were to make the argument that I went off topic with my post, I would say that yes you have a point and I should have made a different thread to talk about video game generations in the long run and future. Instead, I opted to bring it up here since it is already 20+ pages in. But that doesn't seem to be the point you're making.

In what reality is Sony lacking right now that would put Microsoft at the top. Okay maybe in 2040 if ps6 isn't really released within the neXt 10 years and Sony just slagged off for the neXt 5 to 7 years okay... but I don't see reason why Microsoft would be at the top over Sony.
I already told you three times now that I agree with you that in the present, Sony is on top with Ps5 being the highest in demand video game commodity. The post I made that you quoted in your previous post was about the long run.

I already said they have plans for their subscription services, there's even a new subscription servicefor the ps5.
And what subscription service is that? I must have not gotten the memo. There's psplus, psnow, so what is the new one?
They have the demand/upcoming games/early sales... its not like Series X is readily available in retail stores and pumping out games only eXclusive to Series X.
...what does this have to do with anything?

Also the gaming industry isn't all about subscription services. People still buy games either physical or digitally.
The gaming industry isn't all about hardware sales either, although in my opinion I will say that is one of the most important factors.

Anyway I'm disengaging. I'm not putting words into your mouth,
Yes you did. You claimed I said Series X is gonna win this gen and I never said that. So now you're also just deflecting or not holding yourself accountable for how you handled the engagement here.
but you are heavily implying Microsoft would be at the top over Sony without any concrete evidence.
I am not implying anything. I meant everything I said without hiding how I felt. mS has a plan for the long term. You asked why I think that and if I am basing that on gamepass, and I admitted to you that I was. I went to show you my evidence, which was the difference in subscription numbers and the number of years that gamepass and psnow were available. It's your own fault for not reading my response and it's not fair for you to say I did not provide evidence when you didn't even bother to read it.

After today's recent megaton, I'm wondering if anyone who hasn't made a purchase yet feels more sure or actually less sure about the new gen console they are leaning more towards.

After today's recent megaton, I'm wondering if anyone who hasn't made a purchase yet feels more sure or actually less sure about the new gen console they are leaning more towards.
If you are a fan of any of the Activision/Blizzard properties, I would think this news should change your mind. If you want to play games like COD, Overwatch, and Diablo on a home console, Xbox is going to be the place to be.

For me personally, the needle still hasn't changed and I would still pick PS5 over Series X if I could only pick just one at this present time.

If you are a fan of any of the Activision/Blizzard properties, I would think this news should change your mind. If you want to play games like COD, Overwatch, and Diablo on a home console, Xbox is going to be the place to be.

For me personally, the needle still hasn't changed and I would still pick PS5 over Series X if I could only pick just one at this present time.
I think it's too soon to tell what we'll be getting in the new Microsoft era of Activision.

On paper, this portfolio of games and studios is impressive af.

It's something Sony would be extremely satisfied and proud to show off if the shoe is on the other foot.

I think once the timed exclusivity and platform specific perks start revealing themselves, then I believe the needle will move dramatically.

Last edited:
I haven't played from ActiVision since they stopped making Marvel games. I haven't played any games from Blizzard.

Its a big acquisition, but it doesn't affect my gaming plans.

I have my Switch and that’s the only thing that has been convenient for me, but that is speaking from someone who is not only simply a consumer.

I think it's too soon to tell what we'll be getting in the new Microsoft era of Activision.

On paper, this portfolio of games and studios is impressive af.

It's something Sony would be extremely satisfied and proud to show off if the shoe is on the other foot.

I think once the timed exclusivity and platform specific perks start revealing themselves, then I believe the needle will move dramatically.
IMG_3416.jpg

Hmm have we seen much from the Bethesda + Microsoft merger last year? A lot of their announced games are still not out very soon. Starfield comes out maybe late Q4 but thats one game. Ps5 would be in half its lifespan (2023) when the acquisition of ActiVision is complete. So we would see more of this impact in neXt gen consoles, not in current gen consoles.

Now unless Microsoft stops releasing future Call of Duty games to ps5, then thatshould persuade a lot more people to get a Series X. But their other franchises, Overwatch, Candy Crush, Diablo... I have no idea.

Though I think Sony probably should make a big acquisition as well, to keep things even just in case these Microsoft acquisitions indeed worked really well for Series X. The recent Sony acquisitions aren't really game changer imo.

Thing is, Sony literally cannot make a purchase like Microsoft just did. This is a deal that is literally on the scale of Disney buying 95% of Fox.

I think the biggest long term value for Xbox here will be the stable of fantastic developers who've been relegated to yearly COD duty. If Microsoft decides they don't care about yearly COD game and slow that cycle down, it would free up some great devs like Treyarch, High Moon, Beenox, to start working on new IPs. So it might not be something we see for a while, but we're only a year or so out from seeing the results of all the other Xbox acquired studios like Obsidian etc.

So I agree that it's still to early to rule a line under anything, but I think the trajectory for Xbox is very, very clear. So the risk for Playstation is, what's their trajectory and is it enough to maintain a distance between the two companies?

Call of duty has been my go to multiplayer game since 2009. And I've been a playstation gamer since 1997. So this is all bad news for me.

On top of the $20 billion drop in stock market value for Sony, unless they buy Take Two, I don't see a future for them in gaming.

Call of duty has been my go to multiplayer game since 2009. And I've been a playstation gamer since 1997. So this is all bad news for me.

On top of the $20 billion drop in stock market value for Sony, unless they buy Take Two, I don't see a future for them in gaming.
I understand where you are coming from. And I would feel the same about losing COD on Playstation if I were in your position. However, I very much disagree with your latter point. To say Sony has no future in gaming, unless they buy Take Two, is premature and hyperbolic, imo.

As far as I know, COD has been absent from the Nintendo Switch, and yet that has not stopped the Switch from being widely popular and successful. Is there no future in gaming for Nintendo?

Yes, losing COD on Playstation would be a huge blow to Sony, no question. If MS ends up buying Take Two as well, would that be an additional blow to Sony? Yes, of course. But if Sony can continue to play to its strength of releasing high-quality 1st party titles, then it should, at a minimum, be able survive in the gaming space just like Nintendo has.

True, the Playstation brand may no longer be the dominant console. But as long as there is a market and demand for their 1st party titles, then I don't see why there can't be some kind of future for Playstation.

And there are many paths for Sony to stay in the game besides buying Take Two. For the price of Take Two, Sony could probably buy up multiple Japanese studios which it already has a long history with, like Square, Capcom, and Konami. Just buying those three studios alone would help consolidate and strengthen Playstation's position as being the home of JRPGs and Fighters.

Those type of games already tend to be exclusive to Playstation by default, so the landscape wouldn't change much for Sony if they made those studios 1st party. What it would do is lock down exclusivity for those popular franchises like Final Fantasy and Street Fighter, and keep them out of the hands of MS or other companies like Tencent, Google, and Amazon.

Last edited:
If I were Microsoft, new Call of Duty games, would no longer be released to PlayStation especially if annual Cod releases aren't happening anymore. It is kinda the point of these acquisitions. We know that Microsoft don't get much profit from console sales, so I think they are being generous if they let a giant Ip like Call of Duty still come to ps5 after they just acquired it.

I mean, Sony does have a future. They are just going to have to accept having Game Pass on Sony devices. That is Microsofts end game here.

It's ridiculous to say that Sony don't have a future in gaming. Microsoft are making staggering purchases but they're still playing catch-up in many respects. Playstation hasn't just been successful for over 20 years, they've frequently dominated the market. There's not even early signs of them struggling yet. They don't have to panic-buy Take Two in order to compete.

Sony has no future in games? :lmao:

Just their exclusive IP alone is enough to keep them going let alone everything else that is console neutral. Microsoft buying up Activision/Blizzard isn't great but Sony is in no way seriously threatened by it. It's more Microsoft buying it's way up the ladder than anything else.

Nintendo has been around nearly 40 years, Playstation has been around 25 years. Microsoft has barely been here 20 and they have been playing catch up from the start.

It's ridiculous to say that Sony don't have a future in gaming. Microsoft are making staggering purchases but they're still playing catch-up in many respects. Playstation hasn't just been successful for over 20 years, they've frequently dominated the market. There's not even early signs of them struggling yet. They don't have to panic-buy Take Two in order to compete.

Agreed that it's not accurate to say they have no future in gaming, but disagree that Microsoft are still catching up. With 25 million Game Pass subscribers and their development pipeline, they have well and truly caught up. They've not overtaken Sony yet but people are certainly paying attention to all the seeds Microsoft is planting. It would be naive not to think Sony needs to be visibly doing the same thing, since this is how Sony got so far ahead in the first place (back when 360 was the powerhouse)

I would say catching up still but with very strong momentum. If there were no supply constraints PS5s would be selling an absolute ton and be far ahead, but Sony need to think of the longer term too. They benefited from planting seeds mid/late last gen (and late PS3 gen)to really push their early advantage from X1’s terrible start and need to keep doing this now as 2022 Microsoft is much more committed to gaming than they were up to 2017 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"