Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

Even if this is all over by summer I wonder if they can meet all of their deadlines. They still need to manufacture millions of consoles & controllers, not to mention shipping updated dev kits to game studios. I also doubt game development will be as efficient with people working from home. The lack of parts due to China's partial shutdown will also drive up costs, which is a big deal with consoles. A delay might happen regardless simply to insure affordability.

I don't want a delay either as I would wait for the first couple of ps5 titles to cut their prices in half before I buy a ps5, that would take at least siX months. But I think everything (like all entertainment industries) will be slowed down/delayed by this outbreak.

I’m still looking forward to whatever we get in place of E3 for the news even if we don’t get everything on time.

Ubisoft and Microsoft have confirmed live streams but it's unknown when yet. Would be cool if they still did them the days they were supposed to at E3

Its hard to say my understanding is that the consoles dont really need to go into mass production in till like June-July. Its hard to say if things are going to be better or not by then and even if they are how much better. Never really been a time where so many things have been effected. So many movies and tv shows being shut down, like all sports are paused, schools are closing. At this rate i am thinking we will not have a summer olympics and that next gen consoles will be pushed back to. I would like to get them this year has i am so ready for 4k gaming and i think Sony is set up nicely to have a better start with good games then you normally see with a new gen. But with how things are going i am just getting to the point where i am expecting like ever thing to be pushed back. I really wish Sony would say something about ps5 though. Just the whole unknown right now is killer. Even if its just a simple statement saying ps5 has been pushed back to next year stay toon for more news i would take that at this point. At least we would known that its been pushed back instead of having to wonder.

If these machines get delayed by a year for eg the specs will be slightly impressive a year later compared to leading pcs. My pc is already significantly ahead of what they are likely to come out with and by then I will probably be only an extra year away from checking to see if any parts can benefit from being upgraded. Obviously these things can’t be predicted but they could have got things more cheaply or given us something even better if they had any idea of what was to come.

personally, I wouldn't be bothered if the next gen consoles get delayed into next year.

Disappointed? Yes. Heartbroken and Devastated? Not really.

There are still plenty of games to play this year, including quite a few big name PS4 exclusives, and not to mention all of my backlogged games.

Besides, only 2 next-gen games have been revealed so far (Halo Infinite and Godfall). So, there really isn't that much to actually get excited for next gen that has been revealed. Obviously, that would have changed with E3 and the reveal events this year.

But as of now, not much to lose sleep over.

Also, would save me money this year!

Reading this tilts me even more in favor of Playstation 5 first before diving into the Series X.

Hermen Hulst said:
We’re very committed to dedicated hardware, as we were before. We’re gonna continue to do that. And we’re very committed to quality exclusives. And to strong narrative-driven, single-player games. At the same time, we’re going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. Just trying things out to see what works. I think that’s also very much part of the DNA of Worldwide Studios
PS5 Bets On Single Player Narrative Games

I know some a lot of people are into multiplayer and MMO type games but I have been there, done that for over a decade with WoW and now I'm ready to go back to these more narrative start-middle-end kind of games where it is not a continuous race to keep up. It costs too much of what little free time I have to invest in something so demanding.

Have not played any multiplayer in going on 3 years and I have found it a lot more relaxing.

I want a good balance focus on both types

Reading this tilts me even more in favor of Playstation 5 first before diving into the Series X.

I know some a lot of people are into multiplayer and MMO type games but I have been there, done that for over a decade with WoW and now I'm ready to go back to these more narrative start-middle-end kind of games where it is not a continuous race to keep up. It costs too much of what little free time I have to invest in something so demanding.

Have not played any multiplayer in going on 3 years and I have found it a lot more relaxing.
same here.

and also, for me, Playstation naturally gets more love from the Japanese Devs, which means more 3rd party RPGs and fighting games. That's another area where Xbox is sorely lacking, especially when some of those 3rd party games also go to Switch and even PC, but just not to Xbox.

Which is super annoying if you want Xbox to be your "main console" or if you are trying to downsize to just one console. Which is why, in the end, I always go back to Playstation over Xbox.

I like playing everything but I completely get what you’re saying here. It’s very fun to game without a schedule when you’re busy. Single player narrative-driven games that aren’t crazy-hard and have tight controls are best for this.

personally, I wouldn't be bothered if the next gen consoles get delayed into next year.

There are still plenty of games to play this year, including quite a few big name PS4 exclusives, and not to mention all of my backlogged games.

Besides, only 2 next-gen games have been revealed so far (Halo Infinite and Godfall). So, there really isn't that much to actually get excited for next gen that has been revealed. Obviously, that would have changed with E3 and the reveal events this year.

If they’re going to give us the same machines we would have got this year then maybe they can be much more competitive on price? I’d prefer unless it was too late that they would find some way to beef them up in the extra time.

If they’re going to give us the same machines we would have got this year then maybe they can be much more competitive on price? I’d prefer unless it was too late that they would find some way of beef them up in the extra time.
probably wouldn't be too much difference in price. A new console at the start of the gen is always going to be expensive, and I don't see either console selling for less than $500. $400 only if one console is severely underpowered, like base PS4 and X1 level. But if PS5 and Series X are supposed to be even more powerful than the $500 X1X, then I think that's the likely price for the new consoles.

if anything, I could see them using the extra time, if there is a delay, to beef up the specs. so then we'd be getting a bit more for the same price?

I would be very bothered if Ps5 and Series X get delayed to next year. Not only was I just expecting this to be the year of the next generation, but this would ALSO mean that this stupid virus for the most part will still be a threat for the better part of this entire year!

Last edited:
This virus affected the entire globe or at least majority of the countries out there - that a new console being delayed to next year is just... expected, and just one of the many things being delayed by the outbreak.

I just can't see them launching 8 months from now when the tours/movies/tv shows and various entertainment events are being delayed to later this year or next year. I also feel like since a lot of people don't have a monthly income (like me) right now because of government orders of shutting down certain work places, countries being in lockdown or travel ban and the entire world economy is taking a big loss, its not a good idea imo to launch consoles later this year as not a lot of people would be thinking oh I need a new game console.

after Sony's blah "reveal" yesterday, I've changed my vote to Series X.

the PS5's limited BC with PS4 games was a major blow and changes the landscape for me. I no longer have the confidence that my current library of PS4 games will all carry over to the PS5, whereas I have more confidence that will be the case with Xbox. And not only my X1 games, but 360 and OG Xbox games that are BC.

BC may not be a big deal for some, but to me it is. especially BC with the most recent gen. MS seems to be putting more of an emphasis on BC, so that aligns more with what I want.

MS has also been way more open and transparent about the Series X, whereas Sony's continued secrecy, relatively speaking, has started to put me off. We don't even know what the PS5 or the controller will look like.

so now, I'm more inclined to get the Series X first, and wait longer for the PS5 until they improve their BC catalog.

Lets hope they can improve its backwards compatibility. Its just so weird that X box can do backwards compatibility from their 1st Xbox games but Sony can't even do that 100% with ps4 games for the ps5. Especially after all these technological advances and the ps4 selling a hundred million copies. Its just baffling.

Lets hope they can improve its backwards compatibility. Its just so weird that X box can do backwards compatibility from their 1st Xbox games but Sony can't even do that 100% with ps4 games for the ps5. Especially after all these technological advances and the ps4 selling a hundred million copies. Its just baffling.
yeah.

PS1-PS3 was always a "nice-to-have" longshot. but full PS4 BC should have been a given. It shows that, despite the demand from fans for more BC, they still don't put that as a priority. And they're just doing the "bare minimum" BC with PS4 games on the PS5.

Can you imagine trying to play all your ps4 games in ps5 and only half of them works? That would be so annoying especially if you're binge playing a series of games.

And ps5 is supposed to be advanced/brand new tech, it should not be selective with ps4 games. The fact that they already adressed that not all ps4 games are compatible/playable is a big red flag. Delay it to next year then!

after Sony's blah "reveal" yesterday, I've changed my vote to Series X.

the PS5's limited BC with PS4 games was a major blow and changes the landscape for me. I no longer have the confidence that my current library of PS4 games will all carry over to the PS5, whereas I have more confidence that will be the case with Xbox. And not only my X1 games, but 360 and OG Xbox games that are BC.

BC may not be a big deal for some, but to me it is. especially BC with the most recent gen. MS seems to be putting more of an emphasis on BC, so that aligns more with what I want.

MS has also been way more open and transparent about the Series X, whereas Sony's continued secrecy, relatively speaking, has started to put me off. We don't even know what the PS5 or the controller will look like.

so now, I'm more inclined to get the Series X first, and wait longer for the PS5 until they improve their BC catalog.
I agree. There are Ps1, 2, and 3 games I still want to play sometimes. Ps3 I can understand if they want to leave out, but there is no reason for them not to emulate Ps1 and 2.

I'm on the verge of changing my vote as well, because I'm also very disappointed to see that the specs overall are weaker compared to Series X, but I'm waiting for the price reveals. If Ps5 is $399 while Series X is $499, I'll go with Ps5.

I agree. There are Ps1, 2, and 3 games I still want to play sometimes. Ps3 I can understand if they want to leave out, but there is no reason for them not to emulate Ps1 and 2.

I'm on the verge of changing my vote as well, because I'm also very disappointed to see that the specs overall are weaker compared to Series X, but I'm waiting for the price reveals. If Ps5 is $399 while Series X is $499, I'll go with Ps5.
yeah. it seems like it is shaping up to be PS5's speed vs Series X's power.

and I agree that, based on the specs, Sony could be aiming for a lower price point - I could see $400 for PS5. and $500 for Series X.

The lower price point would probably help Sony sell more consoles, but even at $500, I'd still get the Series X first.

If Series X is at $600, though, then I may hold off on getting a next gen console right away and wait till they come down in price. I'll just hang on to my X1 and PS4 longer.

a $600 console + another $100-$200 or more for the ssd expansion is a tough sell, for me.

as I said in the other thread, the ssd expansion will be a hidden cost for both consoles.

$400 is quite cheap for a new console. I would be surprised if Sony goes that low.... but the cheaper the better lol.

I am expecting it to be at least $450 but probably closer to or slightly above $500.

I feel that neither console can afford to go beyond $500. especially in this environment, should the economic ramifications of the global shutdown extend into the holiday season.

I already addressed PS4 BC mode in the PS5 thread, but I'll post a quick summary here.

Basically, nearly all PS4 titles should work as is, no patches or dev work needed. Because the PS5 runs at much higher frequencies than PS4, this means games will either run at a locked frame rate without drops, or will see improvements in resolution or frame rate if those are uncapped. Either way performance should be improved.

However, the higher frequencies can affect games that were designed around specific GPU & CPU requirements. These are almost certainly the same titles that have problems with PS4 Pro's boost mode and have performance issues (games like Bloodborne, Dying Light and SOMA). To fix this it sounds like Sony will try to modify PS5 on the system level to insure compatibility. If some games are still unplayable after launch, there may be further patches or it could be left as is.

To be clear, the 100 games mentioned was simply a sample size of games they tried on PS5, and not a list of titles they've patched to work on the console. Almost every PS4 game should run fine, in fact they should have improved performance, and certain games may even have true 4K resolution and/or frame rates that rival PC if they have modes that were uncapped.

All that is to say PS4 BC mode should work as you imagine; most games will simply work when played. This is not the disaster implied by Sony's confusing messaging and the media's misreporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"