Psycho prequel series "Bates Motel"

I'm not sure if I like this being set in contemporary times. I was really hoping for a period piece that would line up with the movie.

I really hope Nestor Carbonell has a substantial role to play. I love that guy, and was always disappointed that, aside from one episode, he was always more of a side character on LOST.

He looks way too much like Anthony Perkins for something not to be up with him.

He looks way too much like Anthony Perkins for something not to be up with him.
Seriously, when I first heard he was in this (not knowing anything else about the project), I just assumed he was playing Norman Bates.

Do we really need a series to explain Norman Bates's backstory??

I thought it would be better if we don't know Norman Bates's backstory.

Most psychos just murder people with no reasons or motives at all.

If you give Norman Bates a backstory, then he won't be seen as scary or frightening anymore.

You're thinking of Michael Myers. Michael Myers works better without a backstory.

We basically already know the broad strokes of Norman's backstory just through what we've seen on Psycho. This is just more in depth.

You're thinking of Michael Myers. Michael Myers works better without a backstory.

We basically already know the broad strokes of Norman's backstory just through what we've seen on Psycho. This is just more in depth.

okay, I guess your argument make sense,

As long as they don't cross the line turning the whole creepy relationship between Norman and his mother into some sort of incest thing, then I think I will be fine with it.

okay, I guess your argument make sense,

As long as they don't cross the line turning the whole creepy relationship between Norman and his mother into some sort of incest thing, then I think I will be fine with it.

Wasn't that, ya know,the nature of their relationship? The Oedipal thing is kind of the crux of the Norman bates character. At least in the movie, I never read the books.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bates-motel-psycho-carlton-cuse-408631
'Bates Motel' Using 'Psycho' as 'Inspiration' Rather Than an Homage
1:39 PM PST 1/4/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

"The mythology that you think is what dictates the relationship between Norma and Norman is not what it's going to turn out to be," showrunner Carlton Cuse says.

A&E isn't doing a mere Psycho prequel but instead a contemporary take inspired by the Alfred Hitchcock horror classic, producers said Friday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena.

Bates Motel explores the formative years of Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore) and the teenager's relationship with his overbearing mother Norma (Vera Farmiga).

"We did not want to do an homage to Psycho, we wanted to take these characters and setup as inspiration," showrunner Carlton Cuse (Lost) told reporters. "The mythology that you think is what dictates the relationship between Norma and Norman is not what it's going to turn out to be."

The idea of the show, which A&E bypassed the pilot stage and picked up straight to series, will be how Norman becomes the guy depicted in the 1960 Hitchcock film. "This is a tragedy, it's a fantastic dramatic form," Cuse said. "We want the audience to fall in love with these characters, particularly Norman. That tension of knowing what their fate is and how they get there was something we thought was really telling."

The pilot unleashes two mysteries involving Norman and the titular hotel -- featuring an old notebook the teen stumbles upon that seems to tell a brutal story about a girl's torture as well as another woman chained up in what appears to be the basement of the building he and his mother buy -- will continue to be explored, but Cuse noted it won't be a Lost-type mythology.

"No polar bears, no smoke monsters -- just say no right off the top," Cuse said of the often frustrating mysteries on ABC's Lost. "There's no supernatural elements in play. We view this as a psychological thriller."

As for what to expect in the 10-episode serialized story, he said, "The murder and coverup of Keith in the pilot, the book in the pilot, and there's some other things that come up that I don't want to spoil."

Cuse rejected the notion that the Marion Crane character played by Janet Leigh in the Hitchcock film eventually would make her way into Bates Motel, noting that he "didn't think" she'd appear down the line in the series -- which he noted he envisions as having a beginning, middle and end. "There is an endpoint to this narrative, absolutely," he said.

Cuse said setting the story in the present day -- complete with iPhones -- allowed the writers the creative freedom to become liberated from the original film and avoid the baggage that comes with setting the story in the 1960s.

"We know he's a tragic figure," Cuse said. "I love Titanic and the idea that you're rooting for Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet to survive despite the fact that you know they're not going to -- that's the feeling we're going for here. … The specific way in which their tragic fate plays out will be of our own invention."

Oscar nominee Farmiga (Up in the Air), meanwhile, noted she perceives the character as an "absolute train wreck" and was drawn to the "beautiful" love letter between a mother and her son. "She's strong and tall as an oak and fragile as a butterfly," she said.

For his part, Highmore said the story will challenge the audience as they debate the how and why Norman became a serial killer. "We all know where he's going to end up -- but is that because of his upbringing? Is it nature vs. nurture? Or is it because they moved to this dodgy town?" he pondered. "Or is it because of intimate relationship between Norma and Norman? If I had had the upbringing Norman had, would I have been slightly different? We all go a little mad sometimes."

Bates Motel premieres at 10 p.m. Monday, March 18.

I still can't believe the cute,adorable boy from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is playing a psycho killer now....

I know it's acting, but still......Wow

[YT]i8SQpQdCpwM[/YT]
First two were good, third one... less so.

I have no idea how the third one relates in any way shape or form to the series...

Forgot to post this sooner, but given Mike Vogel's being cast as the lead of Under the Dome, I'm going to guess that his Bates Motel character won't be long for this world.

Extended Look:
[YT]qCFWZB0V2eI[/YT]

Just watched the first episode on demand. The dynamic between Highmore and Farmiga is great. Oedipal as all hell, but great. Good start. I'll be tuning in.

I downloaded the first 6min of the pilot and I got to say I like what I see so far,like sawyer says the dynamic between the Highmore and Farmiga really sticks out. I wish I cuold have watched the full pilot though :(

If you don't mind me asking, which on demand service did you use? I really hate to pirate something if I haven't paid for it in some way already.

Thanks a bunch! Too bad that's about the only on demand service I don't have :p

Looking forward to this.

Premieres tonight, y'all. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"