Psycho prequel series "Bates Motel"

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Sawyer, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Maximus One

Maximus One Eklypze Is Dead

Did anybody else find Highmore's voice really strange at times?? It was like he was trying to say the lines and not enough noise was coming out or something. It was odd. Just a couple instances of it but it did throw me off a bit

2. THUNDERSTRIKE

THUNDERSTRIKE MR. WALKER

wow... just looks like serial killers seems to be the trend these days... Bates, Following, Cult, Dexter and soon Hannibal... :wow:

3. Maximus One

That's what I've been noticing. It's all thanx to Dexter too. I just want some more Mr Brooks-esque movies. The Maniac remake with Elijah Wood actually looks good but I dunno. I just love stuff about serial killers, I eat that **** up. Every since I was a little kid killers have just massively fascinated me.

4. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Shasta McNasty

Yeah, not to be mean but there were a couple of moments that sounded like he had a speech impediment. I guess it was just him struggling with his accent.

5. Maximus One

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

6. GRangerPrimeNYC

GRangerPrimeNYC AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

I still think having it set in the present day is a shameless way of trying to be hip for modern audiences.

Might as well not replicate so many of the sets from the original.

7. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

8. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Unless they just hanker for a period piece, every reboot or remake sets it in present day. It is what it is.

9. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

The house and motel are iconic set pieces, just seeing them on screen mixing it up with modern scenery gives it that surreal touch to it of a haunted house.

You'll get used to it.

10. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

So how many seasons do you think this will run? I give it maybe 3 tops if the writing is good and especially having a long continous storyline that will end in an exciting series ender.

How many think a young Marion Crane will pop up in future seasons?

11. THUNDERSTRIKE

THUNDERSTRIKE MR. WALKER

I kind of doubt Marion will ever show up, as she was on the run in the first movie and just ran across the motel by pure accident during that rainstorm...

12. cabel

cabel Well-Known Member

Marion arriving at the motel wouldn't be a bad way to end the series. Then again, that would be dependent on the audience watching the movie right after or being familiar with it.

Or maybe the final season will be an extended adaption of'Psycho' itself. Risky, but fitting with the new time period.

13. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Just watched the pilot. It was...decent. Great acting (though I'm not sure about Highmore yet), but other than that girl in chains at the end, I found it disappointingly predictable. The same problem I recently had with The Following (though there were also other aspects I didn't care for with that show, and this is better than that). I could tell Dan from Deadwood would be the Bates Motel's first victim from his very first scene, and it was pretty obvious it would be Norma who'd kill him and Norman would help cover it up. I was basically just waiting for it to happen, and that's never a good sign for me. Oh well, any show that uses one of my favorite Radiohead songs will automatically endear itself to me enough to stick with it for a few episodes, but I have a feeling Hannibal will ultimately become my "famous serial killer prequel show" of choice in a few weeks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  14. Snow Queen

I was expected an awful cheap cash in that would spit in the face of Psycho so I'm surprised at the positive reception in here. I'll have to check it out.

15. Kaleb

Kaleb Devil of Hells Kitchen

The girl getting injected is the same girl from the drawings in that book Norman was paging through right?

16. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

^ yep looks like, that would make Norman even the more curious which would eventually lead to the beginning process of his disturbed mind.

17. Shifty

Shifty Chief of Surgery

American Horror Story: Asylum too, which has had the best serial killer storyline of the TV season. Though Hannibal hasn't aired.

Finally got around to watching the pilot tonight and while it wasn't anything unique I did enjoy it and I'm looking forward to watching episode two. I heard that two isn't that great but three is better.

18. flash13

flash13 Wally West

As a fan of Psycho I loved the Pilot, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

19. Ultimatehero

Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I've gotta say, I'm beginning to relate a lot to Dylan Bates. Not the same thing. But I was orphaned by my biological mom that if I saw her taking a greater interest in another son that she basically traded me up for, that alone would make me pissed. I think the moment that fully establishes his character is the way he looked at the baby picture. Basically, I think that character might be my vantage point into the show now.

20. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I picked up the pilot episode (free) on iTunes today. I am looking forward to watching it on Friday (when my work load relents.)

21. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Shasta McNasty

Though he's the most emotionally wrecked person on the surface, he's pretty much the sanest member of the Bates family. It's a pretty cool dynamic.

22. Maximus One

And wtf is up with that town?!?!? Some crazy **** going on there

23. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Well-Known Member

Saw the pilot since people were talking about it.

And it's already getting creepy. Good acting from the leads. Start kind of threw me, since, it really felt like another era (60's). That was neat.

The weirdest thing so far (though not the creepiest) was those high school girls. When they just showed up, and literally picked up Norman, I thought that was supposed to be Norman having a fantasy sequence. That was just odd. And then they pick him up to go to a party with them.

24. lime

lime Movie critic

25. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

I hate it when just 2 episodes in and these so called "expert" TV critics and reviewers and already picking it's faults.