Q & A w/Louis Leterrier: Round 2

My question is this...In the last scene of the first movie it seems Ang Lee had finally captured the tone of Bruce Banner accepting what he is and what he does. Is this going to be the same tone going forward? (i.e. a drifter type of tone.)

Basically, I'm curious to know how well this movie will fit together with the first one.
I mean, I'm sure the movie will try to have a lighter tone, and not make too many references to the first one, and the plot probably won't depend on anything specific from the first movie, so that you can watch this one without having seen the first one... but if someone did watch both movies back to back, would the new movie play out as a sequel (or "kind of" a sequel like Superman Returns), or as a completely different interpretation of the same source material?
- Will characters be in the same places? (Bruce on the run, Talbot dead, Thunderbolt Ross thinking Hulk may be dead, but not so sure, etc)
- Will the characters be the same? (Betty as a scientist for instance)
- Will the origin (if Hulk's origin is referred to in exact enough terms) be the same?

etc.

Ok, I just have one question. Is this going to be a different continuity or will it be a true sequel to the first film?

One other question as well LL, what effects house will you be using for thr Hulk CGI? Are you gonna stick with ILM or go with someone else like WETA?

AVEITWITHJAMON

What themes will be explored in the movie? We want to see HULK SMASH! But we also want a character driven film with a plot not just hulk smashing things about, cheers.

Arabian_Ozi

Thanks guys but could you PLEASE type in your screen name after each post and also put all your questions in BOLD type so they stand out from all the other chatter here.

Thanks.

ABOVE ALL SENT

Louis here are some actors I think would make for a decent Banner.

Noah Wyle

Michael Vartan

Alessandro Nivola

Ed Norton if he doesn't cost to much.

NorrinRadd85

Louis: Everyone is concerned about the HULK's proportions after Ang Lee's distorted vision of a Kong/HULK. Will your vision be a little more comic based? I do think 7 feet would be too short though. 8-9 feet 1100lb. mass would be what we're looking for IMO..

Thanks, HULKFish

First of all, thanks for coming here Mr. Leterrier :up:
Second, i´m not the kind of person to sweet talk because you are the director of (in this case), The Hulk.
I´m sure you are intelligent man, and as so, i´m going to treat you like one and be direct about it, i really hope you can make a bad place of a movie.
I´m not one of your biggest fans out there (i liked The Transporter 2 because of Jason Statham and i liked Unleashed, which is, IMO, your best movie to date), but i´m more than willing to be ;)
I hope that everything goes for the best, for you and for Hulk.
Now the questions....

1- Is this going to be a sequel to Lee´s movie or a restart?
(i´m going to ask questions as it was a restart, if it´s not, please answer them as a sequel)

2- I´m a huge fan of Lee´s Hulk, IMO, the best comic book movie so far, because it was the one that most got the character, but it´s not perfect, it has a lot of flaws to it.
Now, because i´m such a huge fan, when i heard the announcement that you were the one going to direct it, i was less than...thrilled about it.
My first reaction was that it was going to be a mindless action movie, insted of the psychological drama Ang Lee made.
So, the question is, what are you going to change, update and keep, from Lee´s movie?
I know that you are going to make your thing, but what will be the tone of the movie?
Psychological dramatic thriller with action, or action movie with psychological and dramatic bits?

3- Hulk is the physical manifestation of Banner´s repressed feelings, and not just a monster he turns into.
Agree?
Now are you going to handle this?
Now serious and adult will the movie be, when you are handling stuff like this, and not just two monsters (Hulk and Abomination) fighting each other?

4- Rick Jones is a very important character in the Hulk mythos, and he was MIA in Lee´s movie.
Are you going to use him?

5- Tell me, why is Rick Jones so important to Hulk? Why is Abomination such a great villain to Hulk?

6- I always thought that conspiracy theories suit comic books, ok, not all, but Batman, Captain America, Wolverine, Superman, just to name a few.....and Hulk.
So, i always defended that Hulk should be born in some experience gone wrong that not even Banner knows exactly what it was, rather than a accident or a subotage from a Russian spy.
Even cooler would be that, even being the one in charge, not even Ross knows exactly what they are going, only Talbot does.
Of course that, in the end, because gamma runs in Banner´s veins and DNA, he is the only one that changes into the "perfect example of what they are going".
That would give a much more sinister angle to Abomination and The Leader, and a more racional explanation to why there are so many gamma creatures as villains.
And, IMO, Abomination should be created by The Leader, as The Leader should be Talbot, and not some janitor (that way, there would much more tension between The Leader and Hulk, and, like in the comics, Talbot would "die").
More even, the all "project" started with Bruce´s father, what would make his father even more interesting.
The Leader would be mix of Bruce´s father (intelligence) and Talbot (the rest).
So, to make things short, do you agree with my conspiracy theory idea?
And, is Talbot in the movie?

7- Last, but not least, look at my signature.
Do you agree with it, and how will you address it in your movie?

For now, no more questions, looking foward to your replys.

Oh yeah, before i forget, i know that Banner is almost cast, but i have to take this out of my cheast, one actor that would be perfect to portrati Bruce Banner.
He looks like Banner, you can really picture him that role of a shy, quiet cientist with "skeletons in his closet" that he repressed, he is a great actor....

John Cusack

Will you be staying true to the comic book rendition and the way that marvel intended the Hulk to be? Meaning he gets bigger the madder he gets, etc etc

Ang Lee tried that and people complained that he was too big. That's what people do...complain.

Something to consider.

LL, Instead of having the Hulk get bigger as he gets angrier to provide a visual of increased streangth would you ever consider the idea that muscle tone, and muscle mass, and vascularity would simply increase instead? In other words instead of having the Hulk grow to say 15 feet tall, keep him at a max of 8 to 9, but increase his mass, to the point where when he is at his angriest he is a quivering bristling wrecking ball of muscle and sinew. The first films CG team studied physics and how a body builder moves, but in the comics realism isn't that much of a neccesity, the Hulk can at times ( depending on Artist of couse) apear to be beyond any ability to flex and bend. Take for instance the McFarland (early 90's) Hulk, gracefull in leaps and action, yet at the same time totaly unrealistic. Too much time can be spent on realism and physics at times with CGI, the beauty of CGI, is you can make your own physics, just like an artist.

Will you be staying true to the comic book rendition and the way that marvel intended the Hulk to be? Meaning he gets bigger the madder he gets, etc etc

Well actually the Hulk does NOT get bigger the madder he gets. In the comics he gets STRONGER the madder he gets.
Hey advanced, do you send questions that are factually incorrect? that may be confusing to Louis.

Please, do not have the Hulk grow! No effect is needed to show he's getting stronger. The madder he gets the stronger he gets. Leave it at that. There is no need to show this happening. People will know.

Cracker Jack

If you can´t state which actor is being considered for the role then can you please state whether it is a well known actor like Bana or more of an unknown. My personal recommandation would be Wentworth Miller whom I would consider him an unknown.

Will the movie be set enterely in the US or will we see the Hulk go on a rampage in another country?

Will you stick with theme of the Hulk never killing or really hurting anyone? In the first movie they went out of their way to show that none of the military personel he went up against died (except Talbot but that was his own fault and they made sure he came of as a jerk first :)). Do you personally feel that showing soldiers/civilians being alive and ok is needed?

Wyrminarrd

Will you stick with theme of the Hulk never killing or really hurting anyone? In the first movie they went out of their way to show that none of the military personel he went up against died (except Talbot but that was his own fault and they made sure he came of as a jerk first :)). Do you personally feel that showing soldiers/civilians being alive and ok is needed?

Wyrminarrd

Good question and point. The Hulk does not kill. Deliberately that is :oldrazz:

lol... half the questions in here are the same. People, read the thread before you ask your questions, dont make the guy read the same question over and over again.

LL, Instead of having the Hulk get bigger as he gets angrier to provide a visual of increased streangth would you ever consider the idea that muscle tone, and muscle mass, and vascularity would simply increase instead? In other words instead of having the Hulk grow to say 15 feet tall, keep him at a max of 8 to 9, but increase his mass, to the point where when he is at his angriest he is a quivering bristling wrecking ball of muscle and sinew.
But that way, when Hulk was totally angry, he would be blob of muscle.
That´s not good.
The gigantic Hulk is also a bad move, but i understand Lee wanted, a visual impact.
There is a simple and more realistic way to approach it, explain why the Hulk doesn´t grow or increases mass when he get angrier.
What is the explanation?
Is for me to know and you to find out, but the thing is, you don´t need any of that ;)

My questions are

1- WHICH WILL YOU USE AS YOUR PRIMARY RESOURCE FOR YOUR HULK MOVIE? THE ORIGINAL COMICS? THE ULTIMATE VERSION? THE TV SHOW? OR THE RECENT MOVIE?

2-DO YOU RECOGNIZE AND/OR AGREE THAT THE CLOSER SUPERHERO MOVIES STICK TO THE ORIGINAL COMICS CREATED BY STAN LEE THE MORE SUCCESSFUL THEY ARE. AND CONVERSLY, THE FURTHER AWAY THEY ARE THE LESS SUCCESSFUL THEY ARE?

3-WILL YOU DO AN ORIGIN STORY AGAIN? IF SO WILL IT BE THE CLASSIC COMIC BOOK ORIGIN WITH RICK JONES AND THE GAMMA BOMB OR SOME OTHER STORY?

4-WILL YOU KEEP THE THINGS THAT ANG LEE GOT RIGHT, NAMELY THE HULK'S POWER/STRENGTH LEVEL OR WILL YOU ATTEMPT TO REDUCE IT SOMEHOW

5-FINALLY, WHAT WILL THE HULK LOOK LIKE IN YOUR MOVIE? ANOTHER THING THAT ANG GOT RIGHT WAS THE LOOK OF THE HULK. WILL THIS BE DRAMATICALLY CHANGED?

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.

HORATIOROME

lol... half the questions in here are the same. People, read the thread before you ask your questions, dont make the guy read the same question over and over again.
But half the people here just ask away, and it´s better to give an reason the question is being made, gives Louis more to work with and the notion from where the question is coming from.

Hey, Louis

Is this film a sequel to the first movie, "Hulk", directed by Ang Lee?

Thanks

Isildur´s Heir;11106813 said:
But half the people here just ask away, and it´s better to give an reason the question is being made, gives Louis more to work with and the notion from where the question is coming from.

yeah but the is it a sequel question, he answered that long time ago. I'm just saying that people shouldnt clog this thread up too much.

What will be your filmic or literature influences (if any) comics and comic movies excluded?

-Rimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"