Qs you have/ things you liked/disliked about Capt Marvel [SPOILERS]

That would've been cool. I really liked that about First Man. It looked like it was in the 60's. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they're not back to direct though.

Oh they have leverage now. It’s not like it was back when Perlmutter was controlling the purse strings.

I think Feige is going to let them do as they please, as long as they come back for a second film.

I disliked the fact that it’s always an inside man in films like this. But we had 2 “inside” men and the Skrull twist caught me by surprise. I really liked that part of it.
Otherwise, the movie tried too hard to tie into the current MCU. I wonder how Lawson got the “you know what” from Howard Stark?

Well:
In TFA all we see is Stark retrieve the Cube, during what I assume was search and rescue operations to find Steve Rogers. Unless there's supplemental material that came after to indicate otherwise (AoS or Agent Carter etc) I assumed that he handed it over to the government. The place in A1 at the start was identified as Project: Pegasus, and this is the same place seen in CM. In the comics the Project was always messing around with the Cube in some fashion so I think the idea in the MCU was that the Cube was in the hands of the Project after Stark discovered it while looking for Steve. As time went on and our tech began to advance enough to tap into the Cube this drew the attention of Marv-Ell who took the Lawson ID and was able to pilfer it for her own ends re: caring for the Skrull refugees.

Well:
In TFA all we see is Stark retrieve the Cube, during what I assume was search and rescue operations to find Steve Rogers. Unless there's supplemental material that came after to indicate otherwise (AoS or Agent Carter etc) I assumed that he handed it over to the government. The place in A1 at the start was identified as Project: Pegasus, and this is the same place seen in CM. In the comics the Project was always messing around with the Cube in some fashion so I think the idea in the MCU was that the Cube was in the hands of the Project after Stark discovered it while looking for Steve. As time went on and our tech began to advance enough to tap into the Cube this drew the attention of Marv-Ell who took the Lawson ID and was able to pilfer it for her own ends re: caring for the Skrull refugees.
Highly plausible theory.

Well, that was one of the choices the writers made with the script: Carol doesn't know that she doesn't know, and we don't know either.

But, as others have noted on these forums and elsewhere, it's a movie about patriarchal oppression as a kind of brainwashing that makes you forget who you really are, and what you're capable of. So I think that this element of the script was probably necessary for the writers to say what they wanted to say on that topic.

Carol can't start out knowing that she has been deceived. That has to happen gradually.
Agreed, but, even though Carol. was presented as Kree and somewhat militaristic, I think that her true character shined through thanks to Brie Larson's subtle performance.
Even though you knew that she could be lethal, you knew she wasn't evil.

How did Carol know how to do many things on earth when she "first" arrived, such as using a pay phone, riding a motorbike or using a search engine? If she thought she wasn't from earth but a Kree, then shouldn't these customs have been unfamiliar to her?

Was Alta Vista the most representative search engine of the 90s back then? What about Ask Jeeves or Netscape Navigator? I also would've liked seeing her having to wait longer for her search results or even for website to load. And I would've liked to have heard the dial up modem sound.

It was really stupid that she could upgrade a pay phone to be able to contact people galaxies away.

If Michael Bay did that in a movie, everyone would be roasting him for how stupid that is

It was really stupid that she could upgrade a pay phone to be able to contact people galaxies away.

If Michael Bay did that in a movie, everyone would be roasting him for how stupid that is

In last week's Arrow, Felicity in the future had made a piece of technology unhackable through obsolescence. She had a little mini cassette from an answering phone hidden in a Rubik's cube. Unless you had a mini cassette player or answer phone, you wouldn't be able to play it, because it was analogue technology.

Since a pay phone would probably be obsolete to the Kree who are futuristic, then they should also not be able to use that to communicate into outer space and with such clear reception. If she took it apart and maybe built some kind of transceiver, maybe it might look a bit more plausible. But she shouldn't be able to hack that phone the way she did.

So , we are conclusively saying that she shouldn't be able to hack a phone with alien technology?
We KNOW that wouldn't have worked?
How?
Besides, It wasn't her, it was her gadget, which probably did the same thing on other planets.

So , we are conclusively saying that she shouldn't be able to hack a phone with alien technology?
How?
Besides, It wasn't her, it was her gadget, which probably did the same thing on other planets.

I dunno. It seems like someone trying to hotwire a horse or a wooden cart.

Disliked: Fury's missing eye origin. Should have kept that a fun on going mystery.
Liked: The gender swap of Mar-Vell. I thought it worked. You don't really get much female mentors and mentee's. I'm not that emotionally attached to the male comic book version of the character either.

I love the comic version of Mar-Vell, but I didn't mind the change. It was fine for the movie.

How?
Also the Kree have visited Earth. Minerva even say's she's been there before and it was a "sh!t hole". There probably familiar with the tech. And if they acknowledge agents of Shield then they have more than just visited.

The payphone thing didn't bug me as much. I figure if you belong to an advanced civilization and you are part of an elite unit that travels the universe, you have to use rudimentary alien devices to accomplish simple tasks from time to time.

Disliked: Fury's missing eye origin. Should have kept that a fun on going mystery.
Liked: The gender swap of Mar-Vell. I thought it worked. You don't really get much female mentors and mentee's. I'm not that emotionally attached to the male comic book version of the character either.

I think they revealed Annette Bening's character too soon though. They already said early on in the movie she was Wendy Lawson. So anyone who knows would immediately know that she's a female version of Walter Lawson and probably Mar-Vell. That immediately made Jude Law probably Yon-Rogg.

And for the general audience, those names would've been meaningless, so there would've been no twist at all.

If they were going this route, then I think they should've set up Law as Lawson and Mar-Vell, and only later on revealed that in fact he was just pretending to be him, and that Annette Bening was actually Mar-Vell. That would've been more of a twist for everyone. Otherwise it's not really a twist, but you know immediately it's just a gender swap like Jonathan Higgins to Juliet Higgins on Magnum PI, or Kono from a male to a female on Hawaii Five-O. And it's nothing at all to the general audience who weren't expecting Law to be anyone or who don't know about Mar-Vell from the comics.

Marvel revealed Law was Yonn-Rogg already though. I wish they hadn't, but like you said, the general audience didn't know what that meant.

Marvel revealed Law was Yonn-Rogg already though. I wish they hadn't, but like you said, the general audience didn't know what that meant.

Well I wasn't following the production that closely though because I didn't want to know spoilers. They shouldn't reveal certain things and should keep some scenes entirely a secret.

I don't think they should've even marketed him as "The commander of Starforce" as that creates ambiguity. If he was pretending to be Mar-Vell, then it would be partly accurate at least.

I think they revealed Annette Bening's character too soon though. They already said early on in the movie she was Wendy Lawson. So anyone who knows would immediately know that she's a female version of Walter Lawson and probably Mar-Vell. That immediately made Jude Law probably Yon-Rogg.

And for the general audience, those names would've been meaningless, so there would've been no twist at all.

If they were going this route, then I think they should've set up Law as Lawson and Mar-Vell, and only later on revealed that in fact he was just pretending to be him, and that Annette Bening was actually Mar-Vell. That would've been more of a twist for everyone. Otherwise it's not really a twist, but you know immediately it's just a gender swap like Jonathan Higgins to Juliet Higgins on Magnum PI, or Kono from a male to a female on Hawaii Five-O. And it's nothing at all to the general audience who weren't expecting Law to be anyone or who don't know about Mar-Vell from the comics.

Captain Marvel Begins?

I dunno. It seems like someone trying to hotwire a horse or a wooden cart.
Kree are frequent visitors to Earth. This has been established in Agent's of Shield, and in the overall lore of the MCU Kree (Minerva talks about visiting Earth, Ronin mentions that Earths defenses are not high tech enough to defend from the Kree War heads). Not only are there probably familiar with Earth's tech, they may have even indirectly influenced it.

Kree are frequent visitors to Earth. This has been established in Agent's of Shield, and in the overall lore of the MCU Kree (Minerva talks about visiting Earth, Ronin mentions that Earths defenses are not high tech enough to defend from the Kree War heads). Not only are there probably familiar with Earth's tech, they may have even indirectly influenced it.

Which does beg questions about the alleged protection Asgard hangs over Earth. . . but as plot holes go, that's really minor. Its easy to imagine that the Supreme Intelligence did not exactly broadcast "this planet is important to Viking Space Gods" as part of the standing operational orders, so when Commander Ruthless passes along a hint to Commander Bloodthirsty, things get out of hand. Its also easy to imagine Asgard sending some very scowly envoys to Hala shortly thereafter, and making it much more explicit that "Okay, we've looked the other way about minor meddling before, but orbital WMDs are not 'minor meddling'. Cut it out, or it won't just be the Skrulls and Xandarians warring against you."

Which does beg questions about the alleged protection Asgard hangs over Earth. . . but as plot holes go, that's really minor. Its easy to imagine that the Supreme Intelligence did not exactly broadcast "this planet is important to Viking Space Gods" as part of the standing operational orders, so when Commander Ruthless passes along a hint to Commander Bloodthirsty, things get out of hand. Its also easy to imagine Asgard sending some very scowly envoys to Hala shortly thereafter, and making it much more explicit that "Okay, we've looked the other way about minor meddling before, but orbital WMDs are not 'minor meddling'. Cut it out, or it won't just be the Skrulls and Xandarians warring against you."

See this is the kind of stuff I want so much more of in the MCU.

I dont like how Monica looked up to Captain Marvel and completely disregarded her mother. I would have prefrred for her to be awe struck by Carol's powers and flashiness at first but by the end be inspired by her mother's heroism in spite of having no powers. Maria risked her life but Monica was all about CM. She severs no purpose in the film other than to boost her up. Fair enough bc it is her movie, but I didnt like how they went about this which goes into deep issues that I wont get into here

No real complaints except how Fury lost
his eye, for reasons that I'm sure have been covered in here ad nauseam.

I don't really get the whole "the action sequences were too dark" complaint. I had no trouble following the action sequences and I was wearing 3d glasses the whole time.

As I recall, Monica does encourage Maria to go on the final mission, so in a way she does serve another purpose.

But I basically agree that a scene between Monica and Maria at the end of the film could have made a big difference, confirming that Maria's actions made as much of an impression on Monica as Carol's flashy powers, or even moreso. We never really get that confirmation onscreen, or at least not that I remember.

There's a context here as well. I mean Monica is seeing someone she thought was dead come back to life and the reasoning includes aliens and secret agents. I mean... What kid ISN'T going to focus on that. Your parent could be POTUS and that's kinda gonna pale in comparison.

Yeah, but Maria has these big dreams, too, Monica encourages her to be a part of the journey into space. She plays a heroic role in the finale. It feels like a scene or some more interaction between Maria and Monica toward the end would have been a good fit, tbh.

Definitely something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"