Far From Home Qs you have/ things you liked/disliked about Far From Home [Spoilers]

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Standard type of thread here for every MCU movie.

What questions do you have about Far From Home? What things did you like or dislike?

As with all these threads, there are plenty of spoilers but you can talk freely about them without tagging.

Pros:

It was good to have J Jonah Jameson in the MCU, but I would've preferred he had an existing relationship with Peter.

It was cool to see Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. I guess they didn't have the budget to go to Paris though, which is why they swapped it with Prague.

I much prefer seeing Spidey swinging in Manhattan than anywhere else. It seems to be look the most suitable and feels right compared to any other city.

Question:

Does that mean that Peter now will never work for the Daily Bugle? Is it even a newspaper in that sense where Peter can even work as a freelance photographer? What kind of company does JJJ run?

Cons:

I also would've liked JJJ to have his traditional flat top haircut instead of being bald. Maybe they did that to differentiate him from the Raimi movies.

I found the pacing of the first half of the movie rather slow, particularly before the Mysterio reveal.

Also I would've liked if Spidey was actually battling Mysterio at the end while the latter was in costume, and not in a motion capture suit with a VR helmet. I thought when his team were getting the costume ready for him at the end that he would suit up in it.

I wish they kept in that scene where Spidey if foiling those robbers in a restaurant or bank in his Iron Spider suit that was shown in trailers. Why did they cut that out?

I'll probably have other observations and questions later.

Last edited:
Pros

Tom Holland

Jake Gyllenhaal

Mysterio was very well-done, and his illusion scenes were some of the best things the MCU has ever done.

I liked that the Iron Spider suit which I don't care for was worn only briefly and he spent most of the movie in a more traditional Spider-Man suit, apart from the black stealth suit in Prague, which I actually thought was cool.

Peter had a better arc, really stepping up to the plate in a big way and going full-fledged Spider-Man in the climax, fighting a whole drone army and using his Spider-Sense to fight his way through the illusion in the bridge tunnel to get to Beck in the end. It was a triumphant and self-validating moment for him after his earlier venting to Happy about his feelings of being unworthy.

Jon Watts did a much better job with the action than in Homecoming, and really ramped it up a notch or several notches.

Cons

Pacing issues and unfunny comedy. The first acts are a drag as it feels like we're trapped in a bad high school comedy. Ned and Flash are gratingly obnoxious, characters like Brad and Mr. Dell were pointless and superfluous and didn't add anything, spending so much time meandering around with Peter's whole supporting ensemble of annoying classmates/teachers was a bit of a chore at first.

The first half with Peter and Mysterio battling the Elementals wasn't that exciting (how engaging can "villains" be when all they are is big CGI monster blobs?). The movie doesn't really kick into gear until the reveal halfway through.

Still don't care for Marisa Tomei as Aunt May.

Zendaya felt a little flat and I didn't think she and Holland really "clicked" that much. Their kiss felt kinda forced and awkward.

Apart from the scene on the Quinjet with Peter crying and venting to Happy, the MCU Spider-Man series still tries so hard to be light and funny that it lacks depth. Peter's dynamic with Aunt May is really shallow, and the movie glosses over the aftermath of "The Blip" as much as possible and does the most it can to just handwave it all away. It's pretty eye-rollingly contrived that everyone relevant to Peter's storyline got snapped along with him so they're all conveniently still in high school together, even the morning news announcers.

Pros

Cons

Zendaya felt a little flat and I didn't think she and Holland really "clicked" that much. Their kiss felt kinda forced and awkward.

Apart from the scene on the Quinjet with Peter crying and venting to Happy, the MCU Spider-Man series still tries so hard to be light and funny that it lacks depth. Peter's dynamic with Aunt May is really shallow, and the movie glosses over the aftermath of "The Blip" as much as possible and does the most it can to just handwave it all away. It's pretty eye-rollingly contrived that everyone relevant to Peter's storyline got snapped along with him so they're all conveniently still in high school together, even the morning news announcers.
This version of MJ is an awkward person I think Zendaya hit exactly what they were going for.

Like you I wan't more of the Decimation times while glossing over the Blip does allow us months or years to speculate and debate. Did Hulk and the Stones make minute decisions for half of all life to land them safe or like with the plane crashes when Thanos snapped were there many collateral damage casualties beyond property rights issues and immediate thoughts of a cheating spouse.

This version of MJ is an awkward person I think Zendaya hit exactly what they were going for.

Like you I wan't more of the Decimation times while glossing over the Blip does allow us months or years to speculate and debate. Did Hulk and the Stones make minute decisions for half of all life to land them safe or like with the plane crashes when Thanos snapped were there many collateral damage casualties beyond property rights issues and immediate thoughts of a cheating spouse.

There'd be so many issues. A kid's parents get dusted, he gets adopted by a new family, five years later the "dead" parents come back. People who've remarried and then their "dead" spouse returns.

I've edited my first post to make the different categories of points I had clearer now.

I'm confused about Brad. Maybe I misheard but didn't Ned say he blimped and came back from being small and whiny to hot? Or was he saying he DIDN'T disappear in the snap, was younger than them and now they're the same age because of the blip?

I'm confused about Brad. Maybe I misheard but didn't Ned say he blimped and came back from being small and whiny to hot? Or was he saying he DIDN'T disappear in the snap, was younger than them and now they're the same age because of the blip?
Brad was younger and Peter's gang returned to find him a class mate. I think he is the only one in the movie, besides the teacher whose wife faked her death, that we know survived the snap.

Brad did not blip, hence Peter and Ned remembered him as a little kid and then they come back and he’s their age.

I liked how they brought back Peter Billingsley from Iron Man #1 from what would've seemed a throwaway (yet memorable) scene:

Did he have hair in this movie though?

Also, I wished that some of the other people in Quentin Beck's team were from previous MCU movies whom we would never have paid attention to before. They could've found some of the actors or extras from before.

It's probably easier to just say what I didn't like, and that was the overuse of the illusion aspect. It was pretty much like watching Doctor Strange, but with technology instead of magic. I know the character of Mysterio is all about illusions, but c'mon.

Would've been nice if the Elementals were actually genuine multiverse threats too, so I'm a bit disappointed in that, and I'm further disappointed that the multiverse was teased, yet actually (as far as the MCU is concerned with multiple Earths) that was all BS.

And then the Avengers. I know, I know, this is a Spider-Man film, but really? The entire world is under threat, and those heroes that could be helpful are conveniently out of contact? I get Captain Marvel, she's probably off world, and we know Thor is, but Wanda and Doctor Strange would be cut out for this type of fight, and they weren't even an afterthought. No Sam, Bucky, Rhodey ...

Everything else I actually enjoyed.

Brad was younger and Peter's gang returned to find him a class mate. I think he is the only one in the movie, besides the teacher whose wife faked her death, that we know survived the snap.
That's what I thought, but I was starting to wonder if I misheard him because the people I watched it with didn't catch it either. Thanks!

I'm guessing Abe (Abraham Attah) survived the snap too since he didn't reprise.

And yes to the above comment about Wanda or Doctor Strange. Because I stan I kept thinking about how she probably would've torn apart those drones in about 5 seconds :funny:

That's what I thought, but I was starting to wonder if I misheard him because the people I watched it with didn't catch it either. Thanks!

And yes to the above comment about Wanda or Doctor Strange. Because I stan I kept thinking about how she probably would've torn apart those drones in about 5 seconds :funny:

Who was he?

Also, there was another Caucasian boy in Homecoming played by Michael Barbieri. He didn't seem to reappear here. I'm assuming he also survived the snap and aged?

I would've liked to have seen a cameo from Laura Harrier as Liz. She is actually significantly older than the other actors. So now she could play her actual age and a former crush of Peter's could be older than him. I wish they made reference to that between Peter and Ned and showed she was older now.

Here's a big question:

What does JK Simmons reprising the role of J Jonah Jameson from an entirely different previous Spider-Man production mean for actors reprising their roles in the MCU now? Does it open the way for them playing different iterations of their character?

Could someone like Halston Sage play Dazzler in the MCU now, not as the Dazzler from Dark Phoenix but a different version that happens to be played by the same actress?

What about any of the X-Men? Or Fantastic Four?

Would it be just like Judi Dench playing M again in the Daniel Craig movies even though they are a different continuity to the Pierce Brosnan movies where she first appeared and she's effectively a different M?

If I had to pick things I disliked, I guess the fact that Mysterios was another disgruntled guy with a grudge against Tony Stark was a bit repetitive. And I couldn't help but feel a sense of dejavu when Peter got stuck in Holland. It kinda mirrored Peter being trapped in the Stark facility in Homecoming. Felt like they reused a few themes.

Otherwise the movie was superb. I enjoyed so much, I'd rank it up there with Winter Soldier in terms of quality and enjoyment. I feel it worked well as a great teen comedy drama even without the superhero aspect.

If I had to pick things I disliked, I guess the fact that Mysterios was another disgruntled guy with a grudge against Tony Stark was a bit repetitive. And I couldn't help but feel a sense of dejavu when Peter got stuck in Holland. It kinda mirrored Peter being trapped in the Stark facility in Homecoming. Felt like they reused a few themes.

Otherwise the movie was superb. I enjoyed so much, I'd rank it up there with Winter Soldier in terms of quality and enjoyment. I feel it worked well as a great teen comedy drama even without the superhero aspect.

It's only the West of the Netherlands that is Holland, and not the entire country. They're not quite one and the same even though that's a common mistake people make. The Netherlands is made up of 12 provinces, and Holland only refers to 2 of them (North and South Holland).

So it would be like referring to the whole of the USA by one of its states - eg Dakota.

What I disliked.....

- Not enough action. Man this would have ended up my favorite MCU movie behind Infinty War had they had just a touch more action. Maybe an early movie short swing scene and cutting out that restaurant fight hurt as well.Forced the movie to drag a bit too much before picking up.

-Less teachers and more Happy. I don’t know who thought that giving those teachers that much screen time was a good idea. Happy should have had more screen time.

What I Liked......

-Just about everything else.

- Mysterio was fantastic and much better then expected. Visually amazing and his first fight against Spider-Man might be one of the finest scenes you will ever see. Completely destroys the kids mind .

- Tom and Zendaya work on screen. The chemistry between the two of them is on point.

- The action was a huge step up from Homecoming. They’re not even in the same ball park.

- I’m a huge stickler for super hero’s in movies being portrayed somewhat accurately from a power /abilities point of view and boy did they deliver with Spider-Man this time around. An absolutely beautiful display of all his skills and abilities. I’ve complained a lot about his portrayal in the MCU in the past but when you take on an entire drone army created by Stark.....all is forgiven.

- LESS TECH. Thank god they did away with most of it. It just never fit. It was great to see him utilize his own smarts and customize and create his own gear.

- Spider-sense...Might be the single coolest depiction of it ever in a Spider-Man movie. The visualization of the dude running through the hall eyes closed tearing everything up is still stuck in my head and left me speechless. Just might be my single favorite action sequence in a Spider-Man film
Period.

My only question at this point is where do they go from here and what’s next for Tom Holland? I know he has one more film left for himself as Spider-Man but what comes after? Hopefully contracts get figured out and he sticks around longer.

Yeah that cut restaurant scene was really missed, shame, looked like it would be fun and a bit more basic Spiderman action that was missing from the film.

Yeah that cut restaurant scene was really missed, shame, looked like it would be fun and a bit more basic Spiderman action that was missing from the film.

One of Tom Holland’s best friends got a cameo as a cop in that scene and then got cut out, lol.

One of Tom Holland’s best friends got a cameo as a cop in that scene and then got cut out, lol.

Oof thats harsh, I mean there might be good reasons why it was cut but when you think back this film had little of the Spidey action you would come to expect, in fact the Mysterio action was probably more prevalent than Spidey himself.

Was sad not to see him. I wonder if it was a scheduling thing.

I also would've liked JJJ to have his traditional flat top haircut instead of being bald. Maybe they did that to differentiate him from the Raimi movies.

I'm honestly thinking this cameo was a last minute thing. Hence why they wouldn't bother on getting a proper wig and why they didn't give much thought about inviting him to the premiere.

Brad did not blip, hence Peter and Ned remembered him as a little kid and then they come back and he’s their age.

And not only that but you can see his "before/after" pictures at the beginning of the movie, during the school news.

Speaking of which, I like that we got to see how the "un-snap" looked like since we didn't really see it on Endgame.

I'm honestly thinking this cameo was a last minute thing. Hence why they wouldn't bother on getting a proper wig and why they didn't give much thought about inviting him to the premiere.

But he was at the premiere, which is why some news sites were speculating whether that meant anything and whether he was in the movie. Fortunately I only know that information now in retrospect and wasn't following it at the time.

But he was at the premiere, which is why some news sites were speculating whether that meant anything and whether he was in the movie. Fortunately I only know that information now in retrospect and wasn't following it at the time.

That's what I meant. He was indeed at the premiere. Maybe with a little more time they would've thought having him there was kinda giving away the surprise and would've acted with more secrecy. Idk, just what I think.

That's what I meant. He was indeed at the premiere. Maybe with a little more time they would've thought having him there was kinda giving away the surprise and would've acted with more secrecy. Idk, just what I think.

Or they could've invited Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst along too to confuse people so it would seem they're just inviting old stars from past versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"