Transformers Quality Transformers?

P2Mc28

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm new to the whole transformer toys and what not. Several months before the movie came out, I pretty much gobbled up any info I could find. I was even reading reviews on the toys.

To hold me over until the movie actually came out, I bought Leader Optimus Prime. Glad I did- that thing is one hell of an impressive transformer. Since then, I've wanted to pick up a few more of the toys that people seem to have been praising, like Blackout and Ironhide. Just got Ironhide last night, as well as ordered G1 repaint Ratchet and Leader Brawl.

After fooling around with Ironhide, I almost instantly saw the difference in quality between him and OP. Sure, he's a great transformer and the thing is fun, but things like the floppy "shoulder pads," the weak midsection, and the positioning of the head really stand out to me. Are things like this common amongst these figures? Is OP simply a stand out figure? Is it just the difference between a $20 toy and a $40 one? Are there any Voyager figures out there that match Leader Prime in terms of articulation, alt mode believability (i.e. Starscream's body is terribly out of proportion to his wings, but, say, Ratchet is pretty damn good), and overall "complexity"?

Oh, and kibble is the term for all the stuff that folds up and sits somewhere, trying not to be noticed too much, right? Like the side panels/gas tanks of OP and Ironhide's roof/windshield?

P2, you should most definatly check out the Transformers:Alternators line. a series of scale cars (1/24 or 1/25) and trucks that have opening hoods, doors, and trunks and have detailed interiors. each one transforms into a robot version of a classic 'G1' character, with the car's engine becoming the gun for the robot. I have the following ones and what they turn into

sideswipe: red dodge viper roadster
prowl: acura rsx cop car
swindle: yellow jeep wrangler rubicon
dead end: black and silver dodge viper race car
battle ravage: black corvette roadster
tracks: blue corvette coupe
shockblast: purple mazda rx8 tuner version
grimlock: silver ford mustang gt coupe
silverstreak: silver subaru wrx
optimus prime: red dodge ram srt10
skids: blue scion xb

It's true that bigger size classes can be better designed. Simply because there bigger, more mass=more room to do things better.

Plus Alternators are the most kibblishtious Tf line out there. Sideswipe/Sunstreaker can't really bend at the waist cause of how it's put together. And that they both have a car hood hanging from they're ass. And they both have the rear car fenders and trunk as a back pack. Track has the same problems.

So far my favorite TF line is the Classics. I have Cliffjumper, with the voyager OP coming any day now, and my brother has Mirage and Jetfire...and they're extremely well designed and highly detailed with very solid transformations.

I was looking through a lot of the Alternators lines. I was very impressed with the Alt modes, they were very nice looking (I also noted how they were larger than the average lines).

My problem with that particular line, though, is that they all seem to transform the same way, and because of their attention to detail on the alt modes, the robot modes suffer. But still, I wouldn't mind picking up a few from that line (if I can find'em), like Nemesis Prime, Grimlock and Ravage. Keep things different.

Thinking back, I to remember playing with G1 Soundwave and Prime (as well as a large tank version of Megatron, don't know the line it was from but it was large and quite cheesy). Those things were awesome. Made out of metal? How cool was that? And I would totally pick up that fan art Soundwave Alternator over NP if it were ever made. Deffinately an awesome concept.

I very nearly picked up the Titanium "The Fallen." But having not known anything about the line I was reluctant. I thought: Metal + only $17 = low quality transformations. After looking them up though... meh, I still think I would have passed him up. The other toys in the line aren't as cool, he woulda been lonely :woot:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I hope Leader Brawl is on par with Prime... cuz I already ordered'em :word:

Edit: Dang, Alternators are maybe a bit better than I had thought. Or they had better be with that kind of price tag lol.

I have figures from every line of TF's ever produced so its hard for me to say witch are the best but some of my fav's have been......G1,G2,Beast Wars,Beast Wars2 and Neo[japan] RID,Alternators/Binateck,Robot masters,Classic's,Titanium's,Master piece's and Energon.
By the way that Grean tank Megatron was ether from G2 or it was Megastorm from the Beast wars 2 line up.The only difference was a few stickers.

my favorite was amrada. i had almost every minicon and optimus and overload and my friend had jet fire so we could combine the three. but i had alout of energon i just was kind of out of transformers than though. But i think energon had some pretty cool toys

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"