Queen & Slim - Daniel Kaluuya & Jodie Turner-Smith

Lencho01

Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
Reaction score

From trailblazing, Emmy-winning writer Lena Waithe (Netflix’s Master of None) and Melina Matsoukas, the visionary director of some of this generation’s most powerful pop-culture experiences, including Beyonce’s “Formation” and the Nike “Equality” campaign, comes Makeready’s unflinching new drama, Queen & Slim.

While on a forgettable first date together in Ohio, a black man (Get Out’s Daniel Kaluuya) and a black woman (Jodie Turner-Smith, in her first starring feature-film role), are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The situation escalates, with sudden and tragic results, when the man kills the police officer in self-defense. Terrified and in fear for their lives, the man, a retail employee, and the woman, a criminal defense lawyer, are forced to go on the run. But the incident is captured on video and goes viral, and the couple unwittingly become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people across the country.

As they drive, these two unlikely fugitives will discover themselves and each other in the most dire and desperate of circumstances, and will forge a deep and powerful love that will reveal their shared humanity and shape the rest of their lives.

Joining a legacy of films such as Bonnie and Clyde and Thelma & Louise, Queen & Slim is a powerful, consciousness-raising love story that confronts the staggering human toll of racism and the life-shattering price of violence.

Waithe wrote the script based on an original idea by bestselling author James Frey (A Million Little Pieces, Katerina). The feature-film directorial debut from Melina Matsoukas (executive producer of HBO’s Insecure) stars Academy Award® nominee Daniel Kaluuya as “Slim” and rising star Jodie Turner-Smith (Syfy’s Nightflyers), as “Queen.”

Waithe produces the film via her company, Hillman Grad Productions, along with Matsoukas via her production company, De La Revolución Films. Frey produces via his production company, 3BlackDot, alongside Andrew Coles and Michelle Knudsen.

Queen & Slim is financed by Makeready and will be distributed by Universal Pictures worldwide, with eOne handling distribution in select territories including the U.K. and Canada.

Last edited:
Jodie Turner Smith spends 90% of her screen time naked in Jett

This trailer killed me.

It looks soooooo good.

Saw the trailer before Once Upon a time. Not my cup of tea, looks awful

Film looks like it has all types of character. It's weird reading the youtube comments though. There seems to be a subset of people upset because cops are shown in a terrible light....

I wonder how those people felt about The Departed.

Melvin Van Peeble's 1971 Blaxploitation film Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song was about a prostitute on the run after shooting two racist cops.

I saw this last night. I was an absolute mess at the end. Damn near sobbing, I needed several minutes to get my **** together. There were quite a few moments and lines that triggered the sappy girl in me.

I thought it was pretty forgettable and almost terrible. Strange characterization, inconsistent dialog, world building that's never shown, and a dumb ending. All the dramatic, tense scenes in the trailer land flat in the actual film. Disappointing.

I thought the first half was really strong, (great perforamces all around and Bokeem Woodbine was a showstealer), but there's some bizarre character moments and plot points that doesn't go anywhere in the 2nd half. It was also super predictable where this was heading.

I thought the first half was really strong, (great perforamces all around and Bokeem Woodbine was a showstealer), but there's some bizarre character moments and plot points that doesn't go anywhere in the 2nd half. It was also super predictable where this was heading.

The bold especially. There were quite a few questionable things in this script.

I agree. After they leave Bokeem Woodbine it goes downhill a bit.

I liked it over all, but I wish the story was given to a better scriptwriter and more experienced director who could've really elevated it. Imagine if like Duvernay, Coogler, Rick famuyiwa, or Gina Prince-Bythewood? I think a lot would've been handled so much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"