Question about Catwoman's 'duality'

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
Differences - sometimes conflict - between dual identities feature a lot in Batman stories (Batman/Bruce Wayne - obviously, Two-Face/Harvey Dent, Man-Bat/Kirk Langstrom... ). The movie Batman Returns focuses on that aspect of Catwoman/Selina Kyle - but that's not something I've seen in the comics; Selina and Catwoman generally seem to be the same person - it's just a matter of mask-on or mask-off. Are there any comics which explore a more conflicted aspect to her personality, as shown in Batman Returns?

Last edited:
Hey hi again. why all those questions ? And why amI the one always responding it ?:)
To my knowledge, there isno such thing. Selina is a beautiful and deep character but Ihaven't read a comics abouther being conflicted between the 2masks. Catwoman is who she is. This is partly why I love her so much. No concession about who she is.
Nevertheless, I remember that she sometimes put a mask on whenshe is acting as Selina Kyle for the rest of the society. But she's aware it's an act.

Maybe someone here will have a better view than mine about this ?
You seem to be willing to know a lot about the batman world.

Hey hi again. why all those questions ? And why amI the one always responding it ?:)

Hi Clarky :yay: Yes, I'm grateful for your responses! :up:

I've been a Bat-fan for decades. These are just things that have struck me at various times, that I often thought about but never found an answer to - so I've finally decided to put that right! :funny:

To my knowledge, there isno such thing. Selina is a beautiful and deep character but Ihaven't read a comics abouther being conflicted between the 2masks. Catwoman is who she is. This is partly why I love her so much. No concession about who she is.
Nevertheless, I remember that she sometimes put a mask on whenshe is acting as Selina Kyle for the rest of the society. But she's aware it's an act.

Yes that's the way it's seemed to me. Interesting that Burton sought to bring out that aspect of her in the film...

Thanks - again!

Catwoman is traditionally quite a bit less plagued by a proper duality in her identities; usually, one of her identities is either more of a true scam (ala the "there is no Bruce Wayne, only Batman" thing), or like you said, it's just a mask-on, mask-off thing. Her internal conflict usually arises from her conscience and self-interest conflicting; she's very much a proud opportunist with some serious kleptomaniac tendencies, but she has a great deal of empathy, altruism, and dignity. She feels totally justified in stealing to survive or stealing from those who can afford it, but she often only experiences a modicum of hesitation in, say, stopping a killer who she knows she can stop, and Batman can easily sway her to his side even if the odds are against them on some villains.

Selina Kyle is Catwoman, and Catwoman is Selina Kyle, so there's much less disonance there. Even when she's hobnobbing with the rich society types, it's usually while embracing her badgirl persona. Otherwise, you're either a mark or a person she can trust to be herself around.

I think Selina is the essence of devilmaycare and isn't the sort to have a dual nature. She's not evil but she's had a hard life and it's taught her to look after number one, but that same hard life has taught her not to be cruel and thus evil.

I think Selina is the essence of devilmaycare and isn't the sort to have a dual nature. She's not evil but she's had a hard life and it's taught her to look after number one, but that same hard life has taught her not to be cruel and thus evil.

Yes, I agree with you. I found it interesting that Burton decided to focus on it.

Burton or one of his people might have been influenced by the Golden Age version, in which Catwoman for a time had a split personality.

Ha! Back when she was a flight attendant with amnesia! That was always probably the craziest origin for Catwoman. Of course, when they later made Golden Age Batman Earth 2 Batman, they had her reveal shed lied about that.

I generally have the idea that Selina Kyle is who she is and Catwoman is what she does. She is the same person in or out of costume. The costume isn't even required for some heists. The cat costume,
in its current form anyway, is just a practical article of clothing for sneaking into buildings and scampering about on rooftops. And the cat cowl is a way of identifying herself to intimidate those familiar
with her reputation, her trademark, while hiding her true identity from the security cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"