Question about ending of TLH

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by trustyside-kick, Mar 27, 2006.

1. trustyside-kick

trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Wait, why do you say he did the killing on Valentine's Day? Is it because Vernon was with Sal Maroni and told him Harvey thinks Maroni is behind this Holiday thing? The fact that the heart-shaped box of chocolates Holiday left at the scene is identical to the one Harvey gave Gilda? Or the fact that Harvey came home late that night to his wife? I do see why you say Harvey. The only reason why I was thinking of it being Alberto is because the fact that the target of the killing was Maroni's men.

2. co2

co2 Registered

I just read the thing, and really enjoyed it aaaaalllllll the way until the very end. The mystery throughout kept me riveted, and when Alberto showed back up...it was a really good surprise. He had a motive which all made sense. But in the last couple of pages, with the implication that Harvey and Gilda being involved...I just don't get it. Why would Gilda, a normal house wife, start killing mafia guys? And why would she stop and then Harvey pick it up? That's not making sense for me. Neither of them have a motive. And why would Alberto confess to all of the killings and allow himself to be sentenced to death if he knows better?
    I really enjoyed reading it and was on the verge of loving it but it is the very end that is holding it back for me because it doesn't make sense.

3. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

- Gilda killed because she wanted to have a normal life without a stressed out Harvey, without the mobsters, he wouldn't be so stressed and their marriage would be fixed (that was her logic).

- Harvey picked it up because he wanted the mobsters dead, and probally did not want his wife to continue being a murderer.

- Alberto went crazy.

- Alberto surviving really socked me too. Shocked me that Gilda was Holiday too. Didn't see either comming.

4. Kraven

Kraven Registered

Here's something I don't quite get... the murder on New Years was Alberto, but Alberto lived, so how could that have been Harvey unless he didn't finish the job or something?

5. co2

co2 Registered

That, uh...doesn't really make sense to me. If that's the reason, it's pretty weak.

That makes even less sense.

Why did Alberto go crazy?

I took it not that Alberto survived, but that he faked his death, which makes more sense. If he is believed to be dead, he won't be a suspect. It worked on me as the reader. I totally forgot about him. I wish it had ended simply with him being Holiday.

6. hippie_hunter

Why she wanted to be with Harvey, she wanted to start a family with Harvey. Falcone was taking Harvey away from her.

Why, because he loves his wife.

Because his father did not treat him as an equal. He didn't pay enough attention to him.

Harvey tried to kill Alberto in my opinion because he came home all wet.

7. trustyside-kick

Ya, the only issue that is confusing for me still is the New Years Eve one.

8. Kraven

Kraven Registered

I'm thinkin that Alberto faked his death, because isn't that when it started to be Maroni's men being killed? Then Gilda was being paranoid about Harvey, and he didn't become Holiday until the very end.

9. trustyside-kick

Ya. I have completely considered what hippie_hunter said about Harvey failing to kill Alberto or something but the thing that I believe the most is Alberto faking his death so that no one would suspect him to be Holiday.

10. hippie_hunter

That's another thing that makes the Long Halloween so great, everyones opinion is valid here.

11. trustyside-kick

Yea. Before I was sorta of unsure but now I am definetly sure that The Long Halloween is my favorite Graphic Novel.

12. Kraven

Kraven Registered

It's definately high up there, only second on my list to The Killing Joke, which I just got yesterday.

13. Naked Shia

Naked Shia Nikkid's law

Harvey being one of the holiday killer,could it work without destroying his two face transformation? I mean, in "jekyll and hyde", jenkins implies he was two face even before his face was burnt. I don't buy this version.

I prefer a good harvey really losing it after being attacked. So I don't think he killed anyone before becoming two face.